Blender 2.8 development thread

No, there are floating windows yes, and that’s what we are talking about here, and it can be resized/maximized/minimized/docked etc… See:

2018-05-18_14-37-03

4 Likes

You’re making an epic of something that’s two mouse clicks. Yes, there may be a problem, but come on, say it’s unusable because you’re sometimes forced to move between instances… You’ll admit that you’re exaggerating a little bit the seriousness of the matter.

That you seem to be talking about fixing the world’s problems, and you will have spent more time writing these messages than wasting time switching between instances in the next 6 months.

Working with multiple instances is not always a matter of workflow, just a matter of doing multiple jobs at the same time.

2 Likes

Of course that is not a really big problem, but it is just to say that it could be really handy, and there is no reason being against something like that. And I think that could be one of the many thing that could help Blender going further in the industry.

But yes, no need to fight about it haha :slight_smile:

I made a video, it’s better than words, sorry for my english.

8 Likes

I’m trying to figure out why some people WANT to click twice to be able to use blender on multiple monitors. This has to be one of the silliest conversations.

If you could click once instead of twice wouldn’t that be nice? I think people are arguing TO click twice. If you are not arguing that, why join the conversation on this?!

If it’s not going to affect you, why join the conversation on this?!

6 Likes

Well, honestly, if I had to choose something to change from blender or add to blender, it would be one of the last things I would ask myself when there are thousands of utilities that we could have and that affect our real workflow. Because if I have to try to make strength with a dozen users to get a feature I hope it is at least a menu to select brushes, improvements in the workflow, but do not save me two clicks once a week that I have to have several instances of blender open.

If I have to choose, I choose something that will save me hours of work at the end of the month, no seconds. and like devs time is not infinity and they only can add few features each year…

But do you not see the issue here? I RARELY use brushes, so should I follow you around on this site and recommend they don’t work on that?!

Just because it saves you 2 clicks once a week, doesn’t mean the same for others. Others have many clicks ALL day.

Another example is popping out a window you render into placed onto a calibrated monitor to be able to see consistent color.

I hover my mouse over the window on the other monitor, hit F12 and bam! It renders in another window on my other monitor because I didn’t click first on the calibrated monitor. Then you can’t just instantly cancel that render, since it needs to reach a point where I can cancel. Then I can finally click on the window on the calibrated monitor and hit F12. Test pieces of renders all day and you will see how annoying it is.

However, I don’t really use brushes, therefore, it would be a waste of developers time to work on that. :wink:

5 Likes

You only think about your own workflow and reject other, how can blender we used bye more people with people like you?

I give up, this is complete non-sense !

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to show other reasons it is useful.

Yes, and that happens with BGE. Few people used BGE, and it’s gone.

1 Like

One guy made a great external app that activates blender window from another screen without need of clicking to activate it I can surf along the both screen with ease and shoot my hotkeys all day long without any issues…But I agree this exact behavior drive me almost mentally ill when I had to unwrap on the second screen and it needed that freaking click to be active

Here take this and spread the word I hope this will be default behavior of blender soon

Is the Windows’ window manager so horrible?

This is running 6 instances of blender with some having floating windows.

Interesting… The worst enemy of Blender seems to be their own community… lol…

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Even though I don’t use brushes, I DO still think it should be worked on. I value other peoples workflows and want Blender to become even better, even in areas I don’t work with right now.

2 Likes

This is not news. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

My only worry about this is the possibility of viruses. Is it safe you think?

I agree it’s good to have a dedicated home for requests…it should also be a sort of ‘shit filter’ for the communication channels that the BF uses.

OTOH: not sorting by popularity is plain bad. That really is something that would help both the requester and the BF.

1 Like

I was worried of that too, I checked that file in https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload
and it didn’t find anything and I have used it now very long time and had no problems with it so I think its clean and false positive…but I’m not a hacker can’t say for sure.