[Blender 2.8] - Loop cut tool (proposals)

I’m not a fan of adding the RMB for simple tools operations, most of it must be done with LMB imo, like every other app out there… It’s just too much complexity and it doesn’t help blender get rid of the reputation of being an app with weird workflows…

3 Likes

It would be a shame to lose using the scroll wheel to quickly adjust the number of segments. Not knowing how tools exactly work in 2.8, I can’t say I understand why the scroll wheel can’t be used for segments anymore.

I don’t like it either because on a pen it’s not as easy as on a mouse but it’s like that they created the new active tools.

Yeah I use a tablet too (as does pretty much everyone nowadays in this industry) and having this separation between LMB and RMB for tool usage worries me a lot. Not a good idea imho.

Which is pretty bad unfortunately…
My only hope is on the new standard keymap, perhaps some of this weird decisions can be fixed with it… :thinking:

This isn’t the final design, so there is no reason to think the tools will need a selection in order to work in the end.

Well personally, I like the idea of having a dedicated selection button. It avoids issues that only occur because of the left mouse button for everything but options “standard” everyone seems to think they need. I only feel this concept falls flat when it comes to using a tablet. Like pitiwazou said, pressing the right button on the pen is awkward.

Personally, I’m a fan of concepts that improve performance. I don’t care if other apps operate that way or not, if I see value in it, I tend to prefer it.

Do you even know why left mouse button for selection and operation is used everywhere? I know why and its not efficiency.

Let’s look at how it works standard Loop Subdivide.

1. Press Ctrl + R
  2. Move the cursor to the edges. Ghost Loop stick to 50% of the center edge.
  3. Click LMB to activate Loop Subdivide and slide over the edges.
  4. Choose a location and click LMB to position the Loop Subdivide.
    To create another Loop Subdivide, you need to repeat these step by step. What if we need to do 10 or 20 Subdivideb Loop?

Proposal. Multiple Loop Subdivide

How it should work

1. Press hotkey (maybe Ctrl + Shift + R)

2. Move the cursor to the edges. Ghost Loop stick directly to the cursor, not the mid-50% edge, and already slides along the edges. This will immediately put a loop where the cursor is located.

3. Press LMB for positioning Loop Subdivide.

4. Tool does not stop working. Repeat steps 2 and 3. MMB rotate the model and place loops, without interrupting tool works. 5. To stop the tool, press RMB or Estsape.
    Wheel or + NumPad / - Numpad to control the number of loops.

how to work Swift Loop in 3ds max
zsefzsef

Activate tool and just click
click

select loop, Alt+Click and drag - move loop along edges
Alt%20click

select loop, Ctrl+Alt+Click and drag - move loop along edges with alignment on the nearest edges
Ctrl%20Alt%20click

Ctrl+Click - select loop
Ctrl%20click

Ctrl+Shift - remove loop
Ctrl%20Shift%20click

Shift+Click - create loop with continuation of the surface flow
Shift%20click

sorry for my English

3 Likes

Ditto.
Here is my suggestion/idea (for the future when manpower is available)
“Steal” the edge flow functionality from Max, Maya, XSI.
Basically it is a loop cut which respects curvature of the surface and interpolates in-between loops.

In Maya there is also an slider which lets you chose the intensity/blend of the edge flow.
I know that this is mostly pure luxury, but once you worked with something like that its hard to go back.

3 Likes

Look at the Smoothing option, while it’s a manual operation, you can set it to preserve the curvature.

1 Like

Blender has already had this feature for many years, although it is quite hidden. With the new active tools and tool settings, this will become easier to find

Not really the smoothness value is manual and don’t give the exact result.

read this thread http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2625289/#Comment_2625289 for understanding the difference between blender Smoothing option and 3ds max Flow.
read the messages below, somewhere there is explained what is the difference between these tools.
sorry for my English

Oh yeah, in c4d it’s called preserve curvature and is an option of the loop cut tool, very handy… Yep Blender needs it.

Sorry but most of us do.
We work we several apps all the time in our pipelines, following standards helps speed up the workflow. Blender is the only software that is different from the rest of the world… But hey, fingers crossed on the new standard keymap. :wink:

2 Likes

The smooth curvature algorithm in Blender could be improved - it doesn’t always give expected results. This will probably not be very high priority for now, but could be worked on at some point. We have a similar problem with Subdivide Smooth, which also gives unexpected results that wildly differ from Catmul-Clark surfaces.

1 Like

An option to define a width and create gaps with the loop cuts would be really nice too (E.g. turn a single plane into multiple objects, like a wood deck). It comes in really handy and speeds things up too.

Am I wrong in assuming the top bar will be populated with tool options at some point? Or will they always be hidden in the pull down top right?

Yea, I wasn’t saying there shouldn’t be an industrial keymap. I was talking about the default settings. As far as the alternate keymaps, I fully endorse those more closely fitting what you’d expect from other apps.

1 Like

Loop-cutting does not work well of a UV-mapped mesh. If you move the position of the cut after creating it, it stretches the UV map with it. I think it would be better if it didn’t do this.

It’s an option on the redo panel “preserve uvs”