Blender 2.8 User Interface/Usability

Ppl with great ideas… either they are really inexperienced with Blender or are simply forgetting that 3D editor is not an absolute one in Blender. (:slight_smile: Looks like another case of Dunning–Kruger effect).

I see… Blender (holistically)as an artist’s virtual atelier, working environment - the whole ecosystem.
3D is an ocean. UV/Image ed. (Texturing system) a land, Shading system mountains. VSE is a forest. NLE a village. User Preferences are clouds, weather system… and so on. Artist is the gravity that defines the environment in which everything cycles, evolves, grows… or dies. There’s no universal absolute in Blender, as i see it everything within is as cosmos relative to each other thus adaptable to all possibilities & scenarios.
Well, at least that’s how it used to be seen from my PoV.

But not everyone sees Blender as an holistic artist atelier/working environment.
Here we have it again: the specialized vs generalist debate.
I don’t care about the VSE, NLE or BGE. Not the sculpting and not the compositor.
Why? Because i like specialized tools because they are usually better at what they are doing.
IMHO Blender can’t compete with Z-brush, Houdini, Resolve / Premiere, Fusion / Nuke, Photoshop / Krita, Unreal / Unity, Substance / Mari and that probably doesn’t change in the near future.

How to deal with that difference in workflow philosophy?
Threat people who use Blender in combination with proprietary tools as 2nd class citizen?
Enforcing Blenders philosophy didn’t work that well in the last decades, did it?

There is not one way to make everybody happy, except the way of many ways.
AKA full customizability (with a GUI, not scripting.)

This is what a lot of people here suggest. Taking a multitude of (better) solutions from other software and integrate them so that the user can take the one that works best for him/her.

The top bar can be a nice addition, a waste of space or a confusing mess depending on who you ask.
That is because it is a static solution to an dynamic problem.
I don’t know the perfect answer except give the people some more options. The best ones will survive.

Your argument about Dunning Kruger reeks a little of arrogance. Maybe try putting yourself in the shoes of others?
I don’t look down on people who use and love Blender as a generalist tool and who don’t want to leave it. Their choice, not everybody needs other programs. I can totally see their point even if i don’t share it.
But if it gets propagated as the ONE correct way to do things while all others are wrong, i get quite pissy.

People here say stupid things to users who bring up C4d as an example for how to do things.
Its not that they love C4d so much that they want to change Blender into C4d, no they are here so that means that they are Blender users. They bring up C4d because it is the most customizeable UI and the thinking is why invent the wheel again if there is a perfect example how things could behave.

The way i see it:
Most Blender users who have experience with other tools are actively trying to improve the program so that it can be successful and comfortable for new users, using other programs as an example.
Which benefits all and will make Blender gain acceptance in the industry.

(Some) hardcore Blender users, who have no knowledge of other tools, interpret this as a threat even if it could benefit them and others, but they are so routine blinded they don’t see the wood for the trees.
Which actively hinders progress and innovation and gives Blender a bad reputation.

Change isn’t necessarily good or bad, but not moving at all is the way of the dodo.
Don’t be an dinosaur.

PS: this is not really exclusively aimed at you burning. I merely used your post as alibi for dropping that rant.
Don’t take it personal.

5 Likes

:wink: no problem

What i found out, even for a specialized case, is - one must first conquer the knowledge of interface use and it’s customization (ie. zbrush, houdini…) Only then one is able to use something and its use becomes acceptable.
And in this regard i see Blender not only different, but ahead in some specific aspects and those are about to change in favor of ignorance (majority). The ancient problem known since the beginnings of civilization.

PS
& about

… Dunning Kruger reeks a little of arrogance…

no harm in expressing impressions but to judge based on personal opinion…

“… as the Earth is flat and the center of the universe. My God…”

is pretentious delusion.
As i am an illusion.

I see Blender’s way as double edged sword. Some things are clearly better, the navigation for example.
Using the middle mouse button to rotate the 3D view is genius and should be adapted by all others.

On the other hand i sometimes suffer from what i call the “Blender effect” when i am working in Maya.
I expect something to be more complex/more obscure (UI-wise), but in the end its (left) click here and click there and i can’t anticipate it because its too simple for my thinking.

It can be tricky to discern what is actually the easiest and most comfortable solution to a problem and often there are unlimited ways to design that solution.

That’s why i sometimes think that it is unfortunate if Blender devs have no knowledge of other DCC’s.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 Like

Oh, so true. And all along we are mostly forgetting about the naturalistic simplicity, common ways for the sake of a medium.

I think they do. Not in detail tho, only on surface. That’s why experienced advisors - consultants are pure treasure. Rare and scarce, highly sought for and in demand… globally.

User-defined context menus are in.
https://developer.blender.org/rB85c1e61375532e91d5fc37b1d754cf76c17f7721

According to the task at hand, this will allow a user to have a menu populated with entries to his favorite tools (or simply those which are used often).

5 Likes

Yeah!
That’s what i am talking about.
Well done and thanks, Campbell. :heart:

Seriously? Whoa… amazing…
RMB context menu is the heart of my workflow…

Someone tell Campbell that I love him (no homo) :smile:

2 Likes

New Favourites Bar. So nice!:heart_eyes:
NewFavouritesBar

11 Likes

The beauty is that we can add stuff from any menu… :ok_hand:

2018-06-23_22-48-56

Well done…

9 Likes

That’s super cool. Is that the right-click menu or something else?

1 Like

Right click yeah…

Do you talk about Cursor options present in TheRedWaxPolice screencapture ?

Right click menu to add items to a menu called by pressing Q for Quick Favorites.

Hmm, the downside is that (as a LMB select user) I can’t seem to be able to map that favorites menu to my right click… :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, favorites modifiers, primitives, everything! It will really impact the speed and workflow in general. Very useful tool.

Just wait, it is not fully featured yet.

I hope… :smile:

This might be problematic, I guess because the way the concept of active tools work. They use the right mouse to select which is a weird choice and may cause conflits. Those tools need to do the selection and action with just one mouse button. This needs to be sorted out, otherwise lots of issues will appear.
Someone even talked about it in the dev site:

I’m waiting for the solution for this too.

FANTASTIC !!! now if this could also be done with the topbar - super useful!

1 Like

This is really neat and a great development.

Though, seeing its current implementation, my mind immediately went to wanting it being an optionally floating panel that the user can easily drag and drop items to from other menus, reorder, organize (such as groupings), and delete them. That’d be so useful.

1 Like