Blender 2.8 User Interface/Usability

There is a design for the futur “Annotation” tools, that looks great and easy to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

So is the annotation tool going to be like a highly stripped down Grease Pencil for a specialized purpose?

I guess it could be useful for those who only need a very basic set (especially once Antonio commits his work for Grease Pencil itself).

Yes it looks like that, just for annotation, without creating GP layers, GP objects or GP materials. Based on the design there will just be visibility layers to manage different annotations, and that’s it. And of course you can choose the color and the orientation (view, geometry …). I think this is the perfect compromise.

I think the same. I don’t know when minimalism and working in full screen became synonym of a power user. I like to have all the tools possible visible and available to me.

Obviously because they don’t need any UI, everything is available via shortcuts.
Here is the thing. A power user can work however he likes. Fullscreen is not an necessity for being a power user.
But the opposite is true for working comfortably in fullscreen.
It is only possible if you know all the shortcuts, therefore only power-user use it.
That is really not a very difficult concept to understand.

@Regnas
You must be really desperate when you bring Z-Brush (the alien among 3D programs) as an example. Also what do i care what some dude at Square-Enix does.

1 Like

Well, I disagree. I just see the fullscreen as a escape from complexity.

What has this to do with escaping from complexity?
What does this even mean?
The complexity is in the work i am doing, not in the amount of tools i have on screen.
That makes no sense as an argument.
Also whats more complex, clicking on icons or remember 40+ shortcuts?

1 Like

I have a fairly simple idea / request for 2.8 overlays.
Also have a layer option to hide all empties, bones and lights ( but not the effect of light)
( then would be possible to still show Text overlay to see framerate )

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Understanding new layer render system, collection and workspace

4 Likes

Glad to hear this, as I tried to set up a key binding for something recently and found the current system to be a bit complex and confusing. I’m almost certain I’ll have to do some amount of customisation for 2.8, since they are talking about using tilde for search, and tilde is in a really unfortunate place on my keyboard.

Pablo and Dalai mentioned in the latest Blender Today video that 2.8 would probably have a reduced shortcut keymap compared to 2.7, which could be good if it keeps all the important functions and ditches the least used things. I think that this must be the reason they want to improve the keymap editor.

Actually, the other day I was working in Photoshop and realised that it might be good for me to use a split keyboard so that I can just use the left side next to my wacom when working in PS and Blender so the keyboard and wacom are the same distance from my body. This would probably require me to make a new keymap for blender, mapping all the important functions to the left side of the keyboard (basically an ergonomic layout).

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Topbar Tool Settings

+1
since the “item” entry is gone in the t-panel you need to look into the outliner now to read what’s selected when overlays are off.

Are the proportional editing types (connected, projected) available in Blneder 2.8 at the moment ?

You can have the keyboard on the left and the tablet on the right, that’s what I do and it works well. When working my arms are spread out and it’s rather comfortable.

1 Like

Good remark.
Overlays are global 3DView settings that don’t take into account types of objects.
And view layer system, restored hiding are not working like in 2.79.
So, hiding a lamp but not its effect is only possible by Only Render/Disabling all overlays button.
Except Name, Shadow for workbench and Texture Space, there is no per object display setting working.
There is no per collection display override possible, yet.

Yes, current 2.8 system is currently lacking flexibility. But I think that is not planed to let it as is.

Yes. Like in 2.79b and master, not possible in object mode, but available in edit mode.
They are not working with Multi-object editing , yet.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Proposal for solving issue with toggles in panels

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Topbar Tool Settings

3 posts were split to a new topic: Mouse button indicators tied to the keymap are now in

Moderation note: Just a heads up, folks, this thread was starting to morph into a bit of a catch-all, so I’ve split a few of the most recent conversation threads into new topics or pushed them over to topics that already exist. Please continue to create new topics in the Blender 2.8 category rather than just dumping new things into a single thread.