Blender 2.80 keeps freezing temporarily

Anyone else experiencing frequent UI freezing with Blender 2.80? It is almost constant after every operation from selecting to toggling collections on and and off. It happens with my larger architectural projects. Blender does not like something I am doing. I would get this with 2.79 as well but is more frequent with 2.80.

Windows 7 x64
GPU: AMD Pro Duo Polaris
CPU: Dual Xeons E5 2660 v3

Little bit. Seemed to happen when something that wasn’t in memory loads (like changing scenes). Either I’m getting used to it or it’s getting better.

2.80 getting to be unusable at this point, on my current project. I will have to go back to my 2.79 version of the project to finish. My guess would be a GPU issue. But who knows.

I copied the 2.80 folder in the app data folder, renamed it. I messed around with my project file using default Blender 2.80 settings. It is back to equivalent UI freezing compared to 2.79. So it is better, but not great. I still have to reload many of my 3rd party paid add-ons. So I am curious to see how that will play out once they are all reloaded.

Probably not related to this but with heavy scenes I sometimes have to disable autosave (and say some prayers) to be able to work with them.

Yh auto save is usually the thing that causes this…best to keep this on especially if your saving nd working through a sd card like I did,lost some good work…hadn’t ever happened wyl working nd saving directly on my laptops c drive.

Crazy thought, while working on the undo system only undoing changed datablocks, why not extend that to autosave, given blenders unique data structure? With a heavy scene I usually just work on one asset for a given time, wouldn’t want to save the whole scene if it’s not changing, but one asset… (ofcourse I’m saying that knowing nothing about Blenders core, so it’s probably way more complicated)

1 Like

I also have big problems with freezing on a heavy scene I’m working on. I didn’t know about the auto save thing, I’ll test that tonight and see if it helps.

Limit blender to one physical core as well, I noticed on my servers that 2.8 was a little wonky sometimes if I did not restrict it down to one physical cpu.

Turning off auto save did make my scenes a lot better, not perfect but much better. Thanks for the tip.

I am using my CPU only, so slow down is a real problem. I can only render in cycles. I have to follow this protocol just to function. I have a 10 year old computer. Slow Pan, Zoom and Rotation of your scene in Look Dev Render Mode I was wondering if this addon could help things? [Back Me Up] The Ultimate Save Manager đź‘Ť RELEASED! Thanks

If you are ready to sacrifice your undos steps for auto-save an copies of your files, yes I think it can help.

You can try right now witouth the addon on a problematic scene, set the undo steps to 3 and see if there is any improvements.

The undo system in blender is causing troubles in general, but I don’t know if it is the root of your problem.

As for your auto-save lag problem, I really don’t know if my addon will not get you any lags, all it does is doing the manual save from blender automatically. You can try it out and demand for a refund if it didn’t work.

Best luck

1 Like