BLENDER 2.83 (2.90) unstable & corrupting files on MacOS! Anybody else got this?

Yep, really annoying. It’s all fine if you use versions up to 2.82. Those work perfectly fine. But with 2.83 the problems started. And the big issue is, that geometry nodes (in 2.93) are a real game changer. Not being able to use them is making me :sob:.

These are the 2 forums i could find for now, if i’m correct a developer is also involved in one of these 2 threads.

Yeah, that’s the bug tracker.

Try following the steps I posted above. Like I said, I along with others haven’t had this issue since 2.90 (Alpha).
Been using 2.92 and 2.93 daily without this issue popping up. But once again, I did a fresh install of Big Sur and appended all .blend files from older ones.

Hope this helps. :smiley:

Looks like I really have to do this at some point. Bugger. Need to find some time. :wink:

I don’t understand how this solves the problem, though. I had this issue with a completely new Macbook Pro with a freshly installed Catalina. (As well as on a iMacpro with Mojave and Catalina.) So this would mean the problem would be in Mojave and Catalina, even in a freshly installed one - but not in Big Sur. It would also mean the problem would only be caused by a combination of Blender newer than 2.82 and MacOs older than BigSur. I have no idea what could cause something like that. That’s light years above my technical understanding. :roll_eyes:

It would be great to hear if someone else who wrote about this problem in this thread has tried a fresh install of Big Sur and got rid of the problem this way. I’m not doubting you in any way, Cookitoff - but a complete fresh install will cost me at least a full day…and I’m a lazy potato… so it would be great to hear if this is really the wonder solution a lot of us are longing for.

I think it is the Catalina and Mojave OS. As you remember this was an extremely frustrating issue for me too. It wasn’t until moving to Big Sur and a fresh install with appends did it resolve.

Im having the same issue at first glance- i havent read all the post though. Im pretty new to blender and you may know this allready but you can recover your file before it got corrupted in the recover option of blender. Blender guru made a post a while ago about that. here is the link. https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/3-ways-recover-lost-work#:~:text=After%20all%2C%20programmers%20are%20only,files%20Blender%20has%20ever%20created!
maybe that will help you to work around that problem until blender has fixed that problem. Blender crashes for me everytime the screen wakes up from sleep mode and my files sometimes get corrupted. Tell me if you found a better solution.
cheers and all the best

It’s interesting, but there is definitely a weird bug with Blender in MacOS and sleep/screen turned off. If I switch off my screen, 3 out of 4 times when I turn it back on Blender will crash (it is otherwise very stable). What I don’t have is corrupted files though, I can simply relaunch and pick up right where I left off.

My advice is to turn off sleep, and instead opt to save and quit Blender if you’re going to be AFK for a while.

The problem with this original issue wasn’t about how to recover but that it would corrupt the auto save also. I know that sounds strange but it would.
Don’t remember if it was effecting the .blend1 file for those who have this option set.

I think I had the option for .blend1 files set at the time for safety but have turned that off again as I’m no longer having this issue.

I did install fresh BigSur OS (not from backup) about 4 weeks ago. I started to work with new default Blender scene and for couple of hours nothing happend. Happy enough I loaded my old blend files and unfortunately the problem returned. :worried:

Maybe this is the case. Maybe in some twisted manner Blender imports some preferences along old blend files which than corrupts fresh Blender install… My default blender cube scene is now getting same crashes as everything else.

Don’t know if its logical.

Also I can’t be perfectly sure if my first attempt at default cube scene wasn’t going to crash either. Maybe the crash was waiting for me just round the corner and I wasn’t patient enough to work with new scene all day. :frowning_face:

Nearly 2-3 hours of work, it started crashing the more objects i put in the file again.
It crashed again but it didn’t autosave in the 5 minutes before the crash, so i still got my file.

I don’t know how it didn’t get corrupted but it feels to me the problem isn’t based on the objects you put in it, but the cause is somewhere in-between the saving/closing/autosave and crashing or something?

Also Big Sur (currently 11.2.3)
Any Blender since 2.83 I think
2017 iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, 48GB RAM

Exactly my experience. Walk away from the computer for a few minutes and return to have an instant crash. Saving on return may also create a corrupted file.

Recently on 2.92 I experienced saves over several uninterrupted hours being ALL corrupted when attempting to open later.

Really sad. I have reverted to 2.82a until a fix appears…

I feel for you guys I know it’s frustrating when I was dealing with it. I hope y’all get it sorted like the rest of have. I lost hours of animation because of it.

Clean install of everything including OS, append all collection into new blend. Haven’t dared loading any Blender version earlier than 2.91 and now I’m a year free of this issue.

Good luck guys!

What is the latest with this? Blender is crashing constantly on my iMac Pro, usually when waking the Mac from sleep. Thanks.

Fixed? I think it’s been fixed since 2.90
As someone who posted early in this thread about my frustrations with the file corruptions I can honestly say I along with other Mac users haven’t had a single issue for a year or more. I’m on 2.92 and 2.93

I do post above the steps I used to resolve my “crash to corruption” problems.

And I hope y’all get this worked out because I know it was a beating.

1 Like

I can confirm that on the latest Blender 2.93 beta everything seems pretty stable.

2 Likes

Hmm I am still getting a lot of crashes with 2.93. It often crashes during a render and almost always crashes when I wake my Mac from sleep. Should I create a new topic?

My problem is 2.93 won’t even open on my iMac Pro. Somewhere during the startup sequence it just gives up.

I can also confirm.
After using Blender 2.93.0 Beta for a week I’ve had zero crashes.

Waiting for a full release of 2.93. Fingers crossed.

Just an update: Been using 2.92 and 2.93 regularly and have had zero crashes. It seems to confirm that the crashing was only happening when using files that were created with older versions of Blender.

After sticking with 2.82 until a project finished Ive jumped up to 2.93LTS and i’m still getting random crashes. With fresh projects, not even any appends.

(2019 Macbook pro running catalina)

Perhaps its my OSX version.