Blender 2.93 abandons its win7 users!

I’m not 100% sure I understand, do you mind explaining ?

oh god Blender has always looked 30 years older I feel sorry to say

1 Like

Has anyone tried Blender in Qubes OS? I’m curious about this OS and really want to learn more about it.

I don’t think it’s really technical, more a logistics decision. Focus development on a rolling release and keep everyone updated is the obvious strategy when you think about it.

I did a quick check on it, and it looks to be just another Linux distro. Blender should run on it just fine.

Qubes isn’t just a linux distro, from what I can tell it let’s you run multiple virtual machines simultaneously. So you can can have 3 versions of windows and 4 different linux distros all running in parallel. I think it has to be a resource hog to accomplish that, but I have no experience with it. Logically, if you only have one vm running with Blender open, it shouldn’t be that bad of a performance drop.

It’s a very specialized distro, but it’s guts are still Linux. Anything that works in Ubuntu, or Fedora, or Arch, or ect. ect. will work there as well, though you may have to do a bit of work to get things running.

…and running Blender in a VM would not be fun. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Well there you have it. It’s been dropped because Python has dropped it, and Blender depends on Python. And Python has dropped it because Microsoft has dropped it.

According to Steam Hardware Survey, Windows 7 only has a 2.5% market share or so.

(sung to the tune of “I Love You”) I drop you. You drop me. We’ll drop Windows 7 eventually. With a great big punt, we roll it out the door. Who will be sorry to see it no more?

2 Likes

Ok, my heart just froze for a moment when I read the title.
Pls, no. I don’t think I can run Win10 on my poor old rig

Despite our misgivings
about upgrading
we must go on living
without evading
the changing of the seasons
for no good reason.

:joy:

3 Likes

Then it is a good thing that the low-end has seen a major boost in computing power over the last few years (thank you AMD).

Nowadays even the i3 and Ryzen3 chips (not to mention the APU’s) pack a bit of punch for those on a budget.

Ahha… I have Dual-Core. And there’s no upgrades in my observable future

Well, I know it’s a very problematic proposition, but you could run Linux in the mean time.

1 Like

Last time i upgraded a Windows 7 license to Windows 10 was November 2020. The upgrade was free.

Windows 7 is no longer receiving security updates and should not be used. This is reason enough for any software platforms to not support it.

1 Like

You can do that with any os. I run several virtual machines on my home system, using KVM/QEMU administered using a tool called virt-manager. (KVM in this case stands for Kernel Virtual Machine)

You can even allocate a gpu to the guest OS if you have a second one.

Note that you need a decent machine as you are literally ringfencing some of your resources for the VM to use. I have a 64 core threadripper, 128gb ram and three gpu’s, and run a Windows 10 and an Ubuntu VM, both using 16 cores, 32gb ram and a gpu. The host Arch Linux system takes the remaining resources.

Note that you can also have multiple machines use the same resources at different times, basically like dual booting each guest OS except without the bootloader drama.

I recommend it.

Windows 7 reached End of Life in January 2020. By continuing to use it you make yourself vulnerable to serious security issues. I don’t think we can expect the Blender Foundation to support dead products :man_shrugging:

(Also, Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 users, so your argument of having to pay doesn’t fly)

5 Likes

Also, Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 users, so your argument of having to pay doesn’t fly.

Was just about to say that - just do the upgrade, it won’t take you much time and there is also an option to update the system only, without the need to install everything from scratch (however I always prefer doing a clean system installation).

1 Like

Solution:
https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/XZgbbc/

3 Likes

Windows7 is not unsupported until at least 2023, see ESU. Also sneakingly removing W7 supports weeks away from a LTS release is simply bad taste, specially to the supporters in the community. And permit me to question Windows10 as an “upgrade”, sidegrade at most.

4 Likes