Blender battletech / mechwarrior -2nd version

Texture face. I had some problems with multitexture which put me off. Last game I made with GLSL graphics, most of the people I asked to test outside of the blender community it couldn’t get it to run.

I’m planning a couple of “chapters” to the game. The first chapter will take place around 3025. Later chapters will explore the Battletech timeline, all the way up to the Jiad beyond…
I’ll add more features and mechs each time.

Latest update is some progress on the mission interface.

I have to finish making all the content for the various screens, such as the list of pilots, the available mechs and the mission short-briefings and news for each mission. But overall, it’s nearly ready for release.

“no news is good news” Amen to that, and great progress man

That look awesome!!
Could you make a tutorial (I know you’re busy with this so maybe when you’re done with everything)? I’d love to learn how to make something like that. I’m kind of starting my own (small) mech game, so this might come in handy.

Fantastic as ever, I am anxiously anticipating the release of this splendid Blender Game Engine project.

The mission interface is looking great. Great job, man!

Another interface update,

I’m using a model in the main scene with a camera on a IPO movement curve. When you click buttons on the overlay scene, the camera in the main scene is directed to move to the nearest frame checkpoint. When it reaches that checkpoint, a holographic screen is raised in the overlay. That screen then spawns each “card” such as pilots, mechs and missions.

When you click on the card its index number is saved to the global dictionary. This allows me to select mechs, co-pilots and missions and then carry that saved data through to the game scene. All the details about mechs, missions and pilots is held in dictionaries within the main AI script. I just have to call it up when needed using the index number. If I want to change some detail of a mech, or mission, I just change the dictionary.

Looks really solid! One question, how do you get the target reticule to react when it is over an enemy object?

I use the following code to get the player object from the HUD overlay scene:

cont = GameLogic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.owner
if own['ini'] ==0:
  scn = activeScenes[0]
  HUD = activeScenes[1]
  player_list = [ob for ob in scn.objects if ob.get("player",-1) == 1]
  if player_list != []: 
   own['player'] = player_list[0]
   own['ini'] =1

Then the player object has a ray which detects an object directly in front of it (in line with the reticule) and stores that detected object as a property:

cont = GameLogic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.owner
player_targeter = cont.sensors['player_targeter']
if player_targeter.positive:
  target = player_targeter.hitObject
  if target.has_key("building"):
   own['enemy_t'] = target
  else:    
   own['enemy_t'] = target.parent
   own['enemy_dis'] = own.getDistanceTo(own['enemy_t'])

else:
  own['enemy_t'] = None
  own['enemy_dis'] = 0.0

Now, in the HUD overlay scene I can call up the player object’s target by using:

target = own['player']['enemy_t']

and I can also display the range to the target by using:

range = own['player']['enemy_dis']

(note I’ve displayed the tabs as spaces in this post)

Wow, cool stuff!

Out of interest, do you have four legged mechs like the Thunder Fox rumbling around your game?

Later quad mechs will be added, but they are not in yet. :slight_smile:
I have a rig and one model, but for now they are on the back burner.
I’ve also got an idea to include LAMs, though they will be set in either LAM or Mech mode before starting the game and won’t change midway through.

I’ve always wanted to drive an LAM mech. Too bad they won’t have the ability to change in-mission.
I like the idea of adding quad mechs too.

Wow! This is a very impressive project, glad you’re allowing me to help with music :slight_smile:

• hacked

Any progress on this?

I second this question.

Great game tho, i look forward to see more of this!!
i loved tthe AI system as well congratz bro!

This looks really fun, I look forward to trying it.

Very nice game smoking_mirror(is this nick a reference to Broken Sword?), I always liked all the background information you provided about the mechs and other aspects of the game(like weaponry) and the sci-fii feel of it.

I think there is something on youtube about his progress…

I’ve made some progress towards the final version, but it’s on hold at the moment. My son was born about 3 months ago and I don’t get much time to work on it.

Right now it needs an intense period of concentration to integrate all the final finished parts of the game such as the mechlab, mission previewer, mission code etc…
All those parts are finished, but it’s not easy to get them all intergrated. The game has become so huge and bloated that it throws up reams of bugs every time I add a new component, if I get some major free time I will sit down and finish the project, but for now you can get the most up to date version here:

(The download link is in the video description).
This was a “final” version, most bugs are eliminated, and the random mech instant action game is finished.
I’ve made some changes since then, improving graphics, adding more terrains and planets and reparing for the campaign mode, but it’s not ready just yet.

(no download yet)

For now I’m working on some planning and basic modeling/animation stuff for my next project, as this is stuff I can do in the 15 minutes or so between nappy changes and feeding of my son. ^^