Blender for the ipad or android ????

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have a simple version of blender on ipad or android tablets. Like maybe just modeling and texturing but no animation in it. Curious, if anyone out there has ever try…

JB:eyebrowlift:

i’m curious, how do you think it’s feasible to run a program that uses almost every keystroke and mouse movements on a device that has only one button?

Curious, if anyone out there has ever try
Well people have certainly thought about it before, just do a forum search for ipad for the previous discussions on this subject.

I very much doubt you would get Blender to run on an Ipad unless it was jail broken.

Android, maybe, but most of the devices run on ARM cpu’s which I believe would mean Blender needs to be compiled for that architecture, and on top of that they aren’t all that fast. Plus you would need an on-screen keyboard which would make anything but the largest of tablet devices useless, and the interface would be very, very hard to use with a stumpy finger trying to press the small buttons/ value sliders etcetera.

EDIT: Gamekit on the Ios/ Android, now that is something though. I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes… Having the ability to deploy 2D/ 3D games made entirely with Blenders logic bricks sounds like a rather nifty thing to have… Certainly an advantage over some of the other engines which rely heavily on scripting.

Why not write a new program dedicated for tablets, which can save .blend files? Dedicated only to one oobject editing. Mesh modeling, painting, sculpting and modifiers. With a dedicated GUI for tablets…
Could be called “Little Blender” “Little Blender Mesh editor”, “Blender touch” or something.

Could be a neat program…
To bad that’s not happenin :wink:

@kidarcade Dude, the idea is fancy and fruitless. If someone does it then it will be a fantastic waste of time ,energy and brain!

Blender to run on an Ipad
i saw it run on nokia n900, it was slow but dualcore and triplecore cpu are realesed, actually there are 1.5 Ghz triple core cpu ready for production :slight_smile:

how do you think it’s feasible to run a program that uses almost every keystroke and mouse movements on a device that has only one button?
i think a GSoC project for handling touchscreen gestures and command would be a good idea for that

It will take time, but I’m sure it’ll happen eventually. I mean, it’s already been done once before on Windows Mobile. I used to have Blender running on my old phone.

menu items are your friend. But surely interface should be redesigned and simplified from the ground up, so that’d mean more 5 years in the making and until then, touchscreens will be out of fashion and holographic displays with VR touch gloves will be all the rage.

and OTOH, navigating, sculpting and texturing by directly touching the screen should rock way too much.

Except the bulk of these devices have capacitive screens… so no luck on pressure sensitivity. That severly hampers painting and sculpting (and part of the reason why I still don’t have a tablet).

and OTOH, navigating, sculpting and texturing by directly touching the screen should rock way too much.

There are some sculpting apps for iOS you can try this with already though they are extremely clumsy to use.

True…

BTW, I do have a true drawing tablet with pressure sensitivity – Wacom Bamboo Fun. I hate it when new tech steal away used terms…

Ouch!!!

Do you have any links to these developments?

I know AD has brought their sketching application to Android & Ios, and Adobe is developing Photoshop Express, but I can’t see many companies dedicate a substantial amount of time & money to port software to devices which really are just for consuming media etcetera.

I made a mistake in what I wrote here… They are looking into developer’s into doing so, but no one has done any thing native just remote in thou citrix which makes me wonder how that works also… check http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AzpypzVSJlY#at=179

Once again sorry for say that… I edited it…

So how do you navigate on a keyboard-less device with an application that doesn’t even have navigation icons?

i’m curious, how do you think it’s feasible to run a program that uses almost every keystroke and mouse movements on a device that has only one button?

dude, fast pie menus :slight_smile: Just touch the screen and drag across the options. Faster than most interface oriented programs.

painting and sculpting in a touch defice must feel great (except for the current possible performance)

So how do you navigate on a keyboard-less device with an application that doesn’t even have navigation icons?
maybe gestures for R S G and you can view special menus by click a trible or double click on screen, adding navigation cube, and almost every thing else are in the menus by default, actually with some research you can have many great ideas.

and having blender on tablets will make a big big big community, they can use it for scketching, custom made players decoder etc. after having the demo mode completed :slight_smile:

Really? I have an N900! Do you know how this is done? I would love to run Blender on it (even if it is slow!)

If you have an N900 you should try the above. Mypaint running on it, fair enough the screen is rather small, but it still looks fun!