Blender Guru Grass Essentials missing. How come?

I think at some point you start to become a public personality and people are less forgiving.
Because what you say is influential . If you start learning blender you don’t have all the means to judge the content of tutorials. But yeah, people making them strive to make them good !

I think every public personality get a lot of love/hate from the public that’s natural.
It’s like ranting on the last movie you see. We can say “Hey, people making these movies are just human being, if you don’t like them just shut up and move on…”, But that’s natural to have a reaction as consumers that is probably a bit shifted from reality. Same apply with internet content !

Indeed making these content takes times and people learn from it, that’s great ! It’s not always for the pure shake of freely sharing tips and idea, it’s also often a business and the content is also made to make a lot of attraction, That, I tend to feel sometime a bit sad about it.

As a consumer of these content I appreciate when people correct mistakes and improve the solutions they’re proposing. Andrew Price do that too and that great !

And yes, as @BlenderBob pointed out, coming from another software and entering the blender community isn’t always easy ! I totally get what you say !
On the other hand, there is some history to that. At some point blender was an opensource project with very few funding. And generally people embrace the fact that blender is a free software, but don’t get the opensource dynamic of it, that make it very different from a commercial app. And also they don’t take the history of the software into account. Like how come that this tool doesn’t work like in other apps. Sometime it’s just that the volunteer developer stop working on it. Or it’s the byproduct of old design decision that makes it hard to change it now. Or it’s just in a todo somewhere.
All that ends up in angry discussion from both sides. But that’s changing a lot nowadays due to many factors, but it’s still a slow process. Blender is getting more professional in it’s development and funding and the community too !

In the end, I think it’s ok and natural to be hated if at least a majority of people like what you’re doing !

3 Likes

Well, so far I’m doing OK. No death threats. One troll that kept saying that Houdini is better at this and that, to which I reply you are totally right. One other guy that kept questioning every single sentence I was saying. And one guy that kept complaining about Blender. Then why are you watching Blender clips? That’s pretty much it.

4 Likes

Yeah, in my experience people looking for Blender tutorials on YouTube are usually pretty nice and polite. It’s pretty cool

3 Likes

hahaha making youtube video is another great way to make unconventional friends !!

BTW, I like very much what you’re doing, it’s very valuable to have insight from people working in the industry, with breakdowns, pro-tips etc !! That fill a gap with more beginners friendly tutorials that are quite valuable too !

Keep up the good work !

4 Likes

The Grass Essentials product is no longer available for purchase, but I bought it at the time it was. Unfortunately, it was meant to be used with up to version 2.7 of Blender and no longer worked with 2.8 and later versions. I was able to “fix” it (quite easily to be honest) and still use it. Anyway, I do agree that there are several other products available on the market which are even better and up to date with current versions of Blender.

1 Like

So the answer to the original question is something like:

Grass Essential is superseded by other products and no longer up to date to the current blender version.

(To compare an outdated product with an actual product doesn’t make sense to me… because it may be deprecated now but to worsen it in this way is counterproductive and it or the maker deserves better.)

2 Likes

So the answer to the original question is something like:

Grass Essential is superseded by other products and no longer up to date to the current blender version.

The above is YOUR statement, nobody wrote that it was SUPERSEDED. It was simply removed from the Blender Market store by the author.

1 Like

The question was:

How Come?

Of course it is my opinion. I also said: “…is something like”. So Webster: supersede isn’t correct ?Then use replaced, displaced, retired, obsolete, extinct, not up to date or even removed by the author. And also some people tell that there are better options nowadays ? Are you uppercasing at me because i didn’t say maybe ??
And this:

… was the first sentence here. So what?

1 Like

Superseded or replaced means, at least in the international standards publishing world I work with, that, the author would have published a newer version of the product, that’s all I meant, and sorry for the uppercase. My fault commenting this thread. Have a good day.

1 Like

Hmm i’m not a native english speaker or i just don’t know the rest of the world. Live long and prosper.

1 Like

thats what i think100 percent agree with u if don’t like any one’s content then just hit unsubscribed and move on

Hey @sozap

You have any great suggestions for a realistic grass pack? I came looking for this one since @Mrdodobird recommended it a zillion years ago, but surely there’s more up-to-date packs these days.

sorry to revive an ancient thread!

that’s the most realistic one

3 Likes

I liked Gscatter best when I tried various vegetation packs a while ago (they offered some assets for free and the scatter tool was also free at the time so one could try out everything before buying assets). There is an amazing thread here on the original development, pretty much from zero (ironically because BG’s pack was too expensive for the founder) to him starting his own company, which is fun and inspirational to read if one has a bit of free time on one’s hand. I only decided against buying it because is went over my budget and I didn’t really need it yet and had to prioritize other add-ons.

But when I was writing up my experiences with it as a response, and double-checked the website, I found out they had switched to a subscription-only business model. It was pricey before, but IMO worth it; now I’m gonna die on the hill of refusing that business model. Though others might not care, and I don’t want to start an argument here, so this is just a quick warning. The product is definitely high quality, and was a cut above the rest a year and a half ago (Grass Essentials wasn’t even in the same ballpark).

2 Likes

in fact, your paying with the subscription model much less, per asset, than before where they just offered packs.

you have also access to all your assets you bought, once your subscription fade out.

if you already one of the legacy pack, before they went to the subscription, get in contact with them. you get than some assets for free.

Hey ! I can’t tell since I don’t use vegetation assets a lot and I tend to make my own for my personal projects.

Anyway, you have many cool options there, grasswald, megascan…
It’s probably possible to grab a few free stuff or texture and work from there…
like : https://polyhaven.com/models/nature

Obviously buying a pack might save you a lot of time and energy if you plan to do a lot of nature scenes !