Blender Has Already Beaten Maya

…I do feel better! :smiley:

The CGSociety thread is still ongoing.

Please take this video offline, as you’re bringing back the old stereotype of the Blender community being comprised entirely of fanboys who can’t handle the facts regarding where Blender is compared to Maya.

Blender is no longer ‘that’ free app. that doesn’t even have undo, so I would expect we don’t proclaim the same wishful thinking many users had back then. That is unless we make them look at Blender 2.80 as the same wannabe 3D solution as Blender 2.25 was, thereby eliminating 17 years of progress.

3 Likes

Yeah, isn’t doing Blender’s reputation any favors, but luckily CGTalk isn’t very high traffic these days. The thread over there only has 130ish views and 13 replies. Blender is quite popular in the Cinema 4d section over there, though.

No, if undo performance always slow. not any chance… beaten maya? impossible.

Comparing naked software out of the box in complex pipelines (free or paid, which is the same for studios ) is so profoundly ridiculous. Blender got better but its miles away from Maya, maybe one day it might change

Personally, I think these threads are fun as long as everybody understands that they are tongue in cheek humor and just having fun. Unfortunately, some people take them seriously, thinking Blender is actually going to replace the entire industry tomorrow. Being hyped up about something is cool, as long as one still remains grounded to reality.

2 Likes

I think mostly people are missing the point here.

It is not some absolute truism that Maya rules the market. This was never the case. It was always only based on if they could ride this monopoly ride. As long as they can ride this wave, they were fine.

And it was not that Maya was the best. Don’t get me wrong here. I am not trying to state it is not the best, or it was “not all that”. I am saying that this has little to do with it. Yes Maya exploded on the market and offered things no one was doing and was/is the best at a lot of things. And in many ways still is. And will likely be so, for a long time to come.

But what is being missed is that a company like Autodesk, can only successfully develop Maya as long as they are riding this monopoly wave. They have built everything around this luxury. They have not built anything around having to struggle to survive in developing Maya - which they purchased!

It is not only about how much Maya is the king of the hill technically with superiority.

It is about the entire market that has to be also going well for them. They can’t just survive from sales to existing customers in the high end market.

They have to get at students, new 3D artists, freelancers, as many mid to small sized studios Any development company starting out and so on.

It would not be hard to imagine that a very large portion of their former user base was not even using half of Maya’s power.

Maya LT addressed this.

Maya Indie addresses the need to continue to attract new people, small businesses, small studios and so on who might also need more of Maya’s full features.

It absolutely admits to 2) facts.

1. They can’t survive by not selling to this group and…
  2. They depend on this group of new people and smaller studios to become large studios or eventually work for one.

And it also admits to the need to continue to make sure there is a talent pool for Maya.

Blender threatens all of this. Absolutely.

Blender puts the hurt back into the equation. It puts the concept of struggle. The concept of competition.

And Blender post 2.8 and into 3.0 absolutely starts to threaten gradually larger studios.

I have been saying this for years now and watching it happen.

All the while those people still trying to say “Blender ain’t all that”. I don’t know. What do you call a person who is a bit too enthusiastic for software? A Fanboy? Well what do you call a person who can’t admit something is happening here? A rival?

Would stand to reason when you think about it.

6 Likes

In some since the video is true . in the inde, hoppiest and even game dev market, blender has won this round anyway, I think …

1 Like

The important thing is that Blender is starting to have an impact on the paid software market. Lightwave, as discussed in other threads, is dying a slow death, and I think Modo is not far behind (IMO). Maya is furiously trying to stay profitable and I think it will do so as long as they can attract subscribers – but AD may be forced to alter their Maya subscription rates to do so. AD can’t benefit from things like Epic Games grants, or UbiSoft monetary contributions, etc., while the BF can. This is a shot across the bow and AD will eventually have to be more aggressive in their business practices in order to stay as far ahead with Maya as they are now; the gap is closing rapidly.

The good news is that competition is good for the users, so we are at a very interesting time in the world of 3D.

Just a thought.

7 Likes

Exactamondo!

1 Like

Did you searched on Autodesk webpages?
Sorry. My google shows me net income when i search for company success.
Not revenue.

Autodesk Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2019 $-81
2018 $-567
2017 $-582
2016 $-331

Think they started with subscription 2015 or 2016?

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/ADSK/autodesk/net-income

The rest is only a personal fulltime use per job and freetime to get things done.

old world
Deluxe Paint 1986 to 1992
Max 2002 to 2015
Maya 2004 to 2015
VRED 2003 to 2016
Nuke 2014 to 2017

new world
Blender 2014 to 2019+
Unreal 2015 to 2017
Unity 2015 to 2019+
Houdini 2019+

Godot 2021+ (planned)

So 2015 marked my year according to the title of this thread.

And i ported all my old projects and pipelines i worked more than half a year on from old world to Blender.
Since then they became rock solid and improving , daily.

And by god i tried to work with and establish iray and vray rt in max and maya for a long time.
Does it work today?
Cycles simply did it.

Without license and per node render license costs and deprecation madness from addons and main product.

Instead, source code access, resulting in a deeper understanding what i do, why it works the way it works and how to optimize and automate it.
(exept Houdini who only is needed for vector flow field and SDF generation, but it a great piece of software)

So out of my experience Blender is already on top of all DCC’s.
Blender 2.79b was the most versatile and stabil software i ever worked with.

Rendered movies on 80 to 300 CPU nodes and baked some really big projects on 20GPU s for around 4 months 24h/day for Unity.
Free linear scalable is the factor here. No costs.

Therefore they got my Blender Cloud subriscription and i think i take a second one because i have a second mail address free.
At least i am sure i pay not sales and marketing departments, with a factor the size of the dev team, with it.

The Epic and Ubisoft grants will further power Blender up.
They were killing the Blender for Indie and Nerd opinion in less than a week.
Epic and Ubisoft could have made a similar experience with Blender.)

Let see what happens when USD is fully integrated.)
Think we see a pixar blender movie before 2022.)

Cheers.

4 Likes

what are these numbers??
work all the time at a loss?
I do not understand much about finance … but if I understand correctly it is a company that breaks all the boxes and is a living zombie ??? :thinking:

Autodesk annual/quarterly net income history and growth rate from 2006 to 2019. Net income can be defined as company’s net profit or loss after all revenues, income items, and expenses have been accounted for.

so e.g 2017 they had have an revenue from
$2.031B
after paying all cost they made net profit from
-$582B

1 Like

now I understand, thanks

what’s also interesting is to look at the expenses, R&D compared to the cost of sales, admin, etc. -

autodesk

Good software does not need marketing.
Good software products today seems to need good developers, crowd development , openess , independency and community constribution.

Yeah, lets see if the BF actually considers to FULLY integrate USD, which isn’t on the plan right now and complete different animal than creating just an USD exporter.
The Blender Foundation has a tendency to start things and then never finish them.

Wishful thinking…what makes you think they want to switch software?
Also they have Presto…

Don t really now. Just a feeling.
Still reading into USD. There should be some huge performance potential and last but not least some bigger chance for an blender pixar movie 2022.)

Let s say USD is in the innovation trigger phase with an light blue dot?
Like this Hype Cycles Charts.

For me 2.8 has already reached plateau of productivity when it comes to highly iterative cycles, eevee, build, paint, bake , experience workflows as DCC Tool for unity and unreal.

Do you mean a native USD pipeline like Solaris? That’s hard to imagine with Blender, even the upcoming common USD plugin for Maya seems pretty vague, hard to tell what it’ll bring. They didn’t exactly go above and beyond with alembic integration.

Nah, as far as I know a lot of big companies have already switched to USD in their pipelines. ILM, Dneg, MPC, Sony…

The vast majority of users lets face it, do not have a day job working in a studio for movies, tv production or video games. The vast majority of actual Blender users are normal people with an interest in art, just like the vast majority of photoshop users. Now then Musahidan is a pro user or a user that has used Maya or Max for a long time, and explains that Blender falls down relative to other software when stressful production work is thrown at it. That is a problem, but unlike Autodesk, if all studios switched to Blender, Blender would not see a boost to revenue since its free, so Blender does not have so much to gain by fixing things for the few pro users who are doing things like the next Avatar movie or slick tv adverts… What the masses want usually is features, what the top pros want is performance and the features that get the job done. Blender does look after us poor hobbyists and generalists. And i like that.