Blender Icon Redesign ?

Hey guys, i have a small request.
Many of us probably use both Blender 2.49 and Blender 2.5x , and both Blenders have the same icon. Blender is evolving constantly and the icon stays the same.
Honestly the Blender icon does not look like it is representing a 3d app.

Can someone make a new icon, looking a little bit more… i don’t know, modern.
I don’t want the icon to be completely redesigned just “updated”.

Is anyone using some other icon for blender ? Did someone already made some blender icons ?

Thank you.

I agree about the blender logo, I never really understood what exactly it was, or how it represented a powerful 3D application.

If anyone has any ideas or concept art for the logo, I would be happy to try make it.

Change the blender logo :eek: Unheard of!!
Hmm, I personally like it as is, it has come to represent the software but it could be redesigned to include the 3d theme a bit more rather than … whatever it is.

Hmm… If we changed the logo, would it still be Blender? Plus, I like the logo!

In any case, I should point out that there is a slight difference in the logo’s appearance between 2.4x and 2.5x, at least in OS X:

2.5x is a bit darker and more saturated. There’s also a slight difference in where the reflection lies with the new logo (the dark reflection in the blue circle is larger in 2.5x).

I have both apps in my doc and can easily tell which is which. Granted, if you’re not working with the app all the time it may not be so obvious.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, look at the icons for 3DS Max, Maya, and Lightwave (Well, 3DS Max and Maya were made by the same company, but still). They definitely look different, and in my opinion a lot cooler (no offense to whoever designed the logo).

@ IglooMan, if you take a look at a really old version, like 1.8, you’ll see that it slightly resembles a blender viewed from the top, with drops of juice shooting out the sides of it. I guess as blender evolved, eventually the drops became attached to the logo, but I’m not sure where they got the color scheme from.

The Blender Logo will probably stay the same without any changes. That’s the downside with establishing an identity and with image branding. Once you have a logo and it’s part of your identity it’s very difficult to change.

I like the Blender logo – it’s well designed compared to the logos of the other 3D programs. And one other point, I can tell it apart from the others.

To me, the logo looks like 3 lowercase D’s all put together. So in a way it does represent that it is a 3d program. (:

http://www.musingsfrommars.org/images/blender.png is something like i wanted to see. Blender icon i have right now looks like this http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/9/92/Blender_48.png

@ Josip Kladaric, you must be running on Windows (or maybe linux, I’m not sure). That icon is what it looks like if you’re using a Mac

No, Linux has the glossy, newer logo. I think It’s just mac? Or maybe it’s the version?

I had no idea that Blender has different icons on different operating systems. Can someone upload the icon for linux?

here’s Linux:

(2.56)
If you want higher res I can give it to you.

It seems to be the same as benu’s

does max or maya have a good icon, i dont think so :slight_smile:

blenders icon is more meaningful as a 3d app. than those

Just because other 3D software doesn’t have a good logo doesn’t mean blender has to do the same!

Thanks sdfgsdfg.

I personally like blender logo as it is. I agree though that we should have a slightly different icon for different versions as a way to identify when we have multi version installed.

I use the design from Sintel on my object dock

well, that looks quite good. I would be more happy with that, just because it is 3D.

Personally, I don’t think the logo needs changing. If it was going to change,however, then i would suggest to make it(at least the windows version) glossier, and give it a little depth.

Also, remember that 2.5 is still in development stage. For all we know, the logo could be getting redesgined and they’re only using the old logo as a “fill in”.

Sam

I like the Blender Mac logo as it is at the moment - any more glossiness or depth and it’ll start looking tacky.

I’m currently using the Mac logo on Ubuntu and needed a way to quickly tell the difference between 2.4x and 2.5x builds when using ‘Open With…’ so whipped up the one below:

.svg file here (right click -> save as…)