Blender Launcher [Standalone Software Client]

Blender Launcher 1.2.0 released!

Fixed:

• Stable releases not showing 2.79 version
  • Dialog windows not centered to main window/screen

New:

• Option to choose between black and white icon in taskbar/tray (need application restart)
  • Option to choose default library page shown at startup
  • Show warning before quitting if there is any active downloads
  • Show placeholders in pages

P.S
I also had time to explore GraphicAll builds and got into some headache.
Site is fully dynamic so there is no an easy way to extract a bit of useful information without using some JS engine :roll_eyes:
Although user can simply throw a link to BL and load a build, there is no way to know the branch behind it :weary:
I will try to find some workarounds anyway, so hope for the best.

1 Like

have separate crawler that saves title and downloadlinks on eg. github and launcher just reads those data from github?

Don’t really know what are you talking about, sorry…
One of the possible ways is to retrieve commit on blender repository that also contain branch name, it is quite simple. But this one only for build, not when downloading, which is a bit annoying.

Awesome work! It’s very handy and looks sharp on a 4K screen.

Couple of feedback:

• Download speed was extremely slow for me (compared to download from official Blender website) for version 2.83. Was fast for 2.90, not sure why.
  • Download info is cropped and can’t be resized
1 Like

Hi! Thanks for feedback!
Stable and daily uses different sites to download. The speed doesn’t depend on BL, at least if there is not like 3-5 active at once. Also, if there is some other apps uses network they have more priority (Steam for example).

1 Like

How should I update to a new release of Blender Launcher?

Hi!
That’s funny how some things that obvious for developer not that clear to user, it should be added to wiki for sure :neutral_face:, thanks for pointing out.
Quit BL if there is running one and simply replace the old file with new one.

Ironically the launcher itself don’t have feature to check new updates and download them. This would be nice, but ofcourse not essential. This is really good app to have newest blender always at hand very much appreciated for the developer.

Would it be possible to overwrite an installation with a new download?

For example: I have 2.90 12-June-20… and want to download 2.90 18-June-20… but put the new files in the previous location.

I know I can just delete the previous, but if possible it’d be nice to not have to think about it.

1 Like

Hi!
Well, it’s kinda doable, however it leads to some design problems.
It need some time to figure out what can be done in this area, not a focus right now.

1 Like

No problem, I understand. Thank you for your work!

Awesome tool, only small issue I have is on Linux with Plasma Desktop, is if I move the program by title window it’s all jerky and doesn’t follow mouse properly, but use the meta+left click it’s fine, all other programs on computer are fine.

Hi! Thaks for feedback!
Do you use 1080 monitor? Or maybe there is some sort of dpi scaling enabled on system?
I use custom code for dragging window, probably something here.
I’m planning minor update on weekends, so will check out.

Hi, am having problems trying to install it in Linux mint 19.03, it says there is not app associated with it. help!

Triple Monitor in a PLP setup (Portrait, Landscape, Portrait), I’ve recently notice KDE has not so good multi-monitor support though, thinking of making the switch back to gnome or just use a window manager instead, but need to get used to it more.

Edit: Check it on the Linux Mint 20 VM and it was working fine, so might just be a KDE issue also.

Set it has a allow has executing file has program.

Linux Mint 20 looks pretty good, might even try that next perhaps.

1 Like

Blender Launcher 1.3.0 released!

Pretty minor release, mostly refactor and UI changes.

There is also some weird problem with experimental branches - they not working after downloading before relaunching program.
Will check it as soon as I have time.

Fixed

• Minimize/show child windows with parent

New:

• Download progress bar occupies all available space
  • Show headers for builds information
  • Show button in status bar to redirect to latest release when available
  • Hide taskbar icons for all child windows
  • Always center child windows to parent
  • Move all windows as one
5 Likes

Sadly the option of enabling it as a software doenst work :frowning: will really appreciate some help

Hi!
Please, provide more detailed information on what version you downloaded and what steps done for executing a file. Screenshots are welcome too!

Blender Launcher 1.3.1 hotfix released!

Fixed

• Experimental branches fails to process after extracting
  • Select directory dialog windows causes crashes on some Linux distributions

P.S.
Hope everyone been notified about release with little ugly button on status bar :joy:
Will find time to implement better solution.

2 Likes