Blender Launcher [Standalone Software Client]

Thanks for the amazing work on this. Having the ability to jump between versions of Blender quickly and easily is really helpful.

I’d like to suggest a feature. We occasionally use the Oculus version of Blender for testing purposes. I’d like to be able to launch the Oculus version from the Blender Launcher. Right now, we have to navigate to the Blender Launcher folder and run the CMD to get the VR version to work. It would be nice to have that option for either the Custom build or as a tick-mark that can be enabled on an as-needed basis.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi! Thanks!

If I’m following it right, you want to show up custom build from “building folder” in BL?
If that the case, you can simply create symlink to your custom build folder (with blender.exe file) inside custom folder and it will work as a regular build.

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion! I’m not sure that’s the option I’m looking for. Here’s a picture of what I’m looking for.

This is the 2.91.2 version of Blender in the Blender Launcher folder. If I were to launch 2.91.2 from the BL, it would run the blender.exe file in this folder.

However in this same folder, there’s a file called “blender_oculus.cmd” that will launch Blender with the VR mode enabled.

What I want the BL to do is give me an option to run this “blender_oculus.cmd” file.

Thanks again for your work and consideration!

Cheers,

Steve

Actually, you can ignore this. I thought you had to run the CMD file to get Blender to work in VR mode, but that’s actually not the case. If you’ve got the VR toolset enabled, you can just start the VR session with a normal instance of Blender. Sorry for the weird request and thanks for your continued work on the Blender Launcher!

No worries! Have a good time blending :yum:

I want to record the teaching, but because I have used Blender Launcher, I can’t see the scene like choosing the path at the beginning.
I think I need to know how to cleanly remove the launcher record (set value) from the system

Hi!
You can simply rename or remove existing library folder so on next launch BL will ask for a new one.

Hi, is it possible to add a download rate feature, few times where progress bar will just sit there and can’t tell if it’s downloading slowly or hung etc.

Thanks.

:hammer_and_wrench: Corrective release with fixes for major issues from previous version │ Blender Launcher 1.11.0 :hammer_and_wrench:

Follow Installation and Update instructions on Documentation site.
Please, read about how to report a bug before creating an issue.

Release Notes

Fixed:

• Fix release candidate title conversion to RC [unreported]
  • Custom page reload feature forces to draw all builds which leads to duplicates [unreported]
  • Fix crashing - library drawer and observer threads [unreported]
  • Fix alignment with ‘RC’ and ‘Alpha’ subversion labels #56

New:

• Add animated icons to get back visualization of download and extract processes

Other:

• Move dialog creation into separate class, disable custom icons and set view to list by default

:heart: Thanks and have a nice day!

3 Likes

Because I changed my computer screen to a new computer screen with a resolution of 2560*1440, and the system font is very small, I made the system font larger. As a result, some characters in the Blender Launcher interface were cut off.

I hope the field width can be adjusted, or I can define it myself.

1 Like

Hi!
Woah, quite an unusual issue! I will check what can be done asap.

Do you have “Enable High DPI Scaling” turned on in settings?

Edit

Could you please also provide information on what setting did you use for changing font? I can’t reproduce font scaling in BL using windows 10 font change setting (which is an expexted behavior).

Hi. I just downloaded the last version of blender launcher on linux. But for some reason, when the app opens and asks for a place to store the blender builds and I press “Continue” the app crash.

Hi!

Sorry for troubles, this is known issue on Mint and Arch related to PyQt and OS itself.

I will have time to look at issue only on saturday, but you can try to set path manually in settings:

1. $HOME/.config/MySoft/Star Runner.conf (Qt for Embedded Linux: $HOME/Settings/MySoft/Star Runner.conf)
  2. $HOME/.config/MySoft.conf (Qt for Embedded Linux: $HOME/Settings/MySoft.conf)
  3. /etc/xdg/MySoft/Star Runner.conf
  4. /etc/xdg/MySoft.conf

Or use this build to set library folder to root of executable:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmw5IW72RuMD76gHpZLqZqb9V5L41IhL/view?usp=sharing

Hey, I just wanted to say how amazing this tool is! Its amazing to be able to just click a button and be able to use the latest blender builds! Thanks for developing it :smiley:

1 Like

Hi! Thank you very much for kind words! :two_hearts:
It gives me a great feeling that all of the work and time I put in development worth it.

I have not been very active for the last weeks cause of personal and job reasons, but I don’t want to abandon BL project for the time been!

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for this awesome product! I am using version 1.11 and as of 4/28/2021 downloads from the Daily and Experimental tab don’t seem to initiate the download (no progress in the progress bar). I downloaded and installed stable version 2.92 about a month ago without any issue. Any help would be most appreciated!

Hi!

Can’t confirm it on my side (Windows). Did you try to restart BL?
Please, check if there is a a BL.log file near by Blender Launcher.exe.

@DotBow
Thanks for your quick response!

I restarted BL and it’s still lagging. I searched my C: drive and did not find a BL.log file. My internet connection is otherwise working ok. BL successfully launches my currently installed blender instances.

Blender Launcher v1.12.0 released!

Follow Installation and Update instructions on Documentation site.
Please, read about how to report a bug before creating an issue.

Release Notes

Fixed:

• Subversion label doesn’t fit five-digit version numbers #62
  • Select only active widget when launching build
  • Runtime error when application terminates on update or when Show Tray Icon option is disabled

New:

• Added Show Release Notes context menu action for Stable and LTS builds to reveal page with release notes for selected build in web browser
  • Hash number display can be accessed by clicking on Commit Time/Upload Time label of build item
  • Library Folder now can be set via command line arguments #52
    Read about how to use it on Changing Library Folder section
  • BL will warn the user when different version of the application is launched #44

Other:

• Multiple builds deletion stability improvements
  • PyInstaller version updated to 4.3 [Windows]
  • UI polishing

:heart: Thanks everyone who supported me! Hope you have a great time using Blender Launcher!
As for me, I will try to improve the app further as much as my time, passion and knowledge let me!

4 Likes