Blender & Redshift Integration

I’ve been a Redshift user for 2 years with C4D and I can most certainly confirm they are working on it and have been for a while. The devs have spoken on numerous occasions about progress and it’s much further along than people think. There’s just the issue of getting the IPR feedback better before they’re going to offer an Alpha preview.

Blender maybe changing quickly but so is Redshift and the transition to Redshift 3.0 has been much longer than anyone expected. Maxon acquired Redshift which also caused delays to development.

Personally I’m more interested in the Hybrid rendering modes of Prorender than Redshift as I think they have the potential to be as game changing as Eevee and the high quality mode offer similar image quality and speed to Redshift but for free.

While the Redshift devs have spoken about Metal for Mac only CUDA is supported on PC so AMD GPUs are still out of luck. They’ve spoken about Vulkan compute but it sounds like they’re only just beginning to look at researching it.

Looks like my belief is gone with the wind… :slight_smile:
And I too have a similar feeling about RPR. Especially since it’s H/W agnostic, dev. already working on supporting USD. Also, Vulkan allows multi-GPU support.

The best thing about Redshift is the speed but I don’t rate the image quality as high, you really need to make complex shader networks to get really nice renders. To get the speed they make compromises in image quality, mostly they’re well hidden but sometimes these compromises show up in your renders like weird image texture aliasing.

The Redshift devs always underestimate how long a feature is going to take to finish, if they give a date it’s best policy to add 6 months to a year and you won’t be disappointed. We were promised Toon Shading over a year ago and it has yet to arrive.

I’ve always like ProRender’s image quality but it’s speed leaves a lot to be desired. I hope the High quality Hybrid RPR mode will be a good balance of image quality and speed for rendering. I’m sure I’d use it a lot.

Yes! Redshift and Blender !

From my personal standpoint, going back to biased, rasterized rendering is less productive… as noted, too much fiddling with settings, shaders, lighting, … even lots of work in post :roll_eyes:. I much rather let machine render unbiased, path tracing a bit longer and in the meantime dedicate time to prepare for secondary stage or spend time to get a meal, do the exercise :relieved: staying fit making quality imagery while enjoying quality life is quite rewarding

NOW, on the other hand just do the EEVEE, E-Cycle, Octane… and keep waiting… also for the “Landslide” (aka Lavina). :wink:

1 Like

Depends on what you do. If you do stills, i would agree. If you are doing animation - i would strongly disagree. If you can cut 50% of the rendertime by simply investing half an hour to optimize your rendering, it can make a huge difference. If you have to render lots of frames the difference can be days.

Pretty much every movie and visual fx studio came to the same conclusion. HW is cheap. Man hours are expensive.

3 Likes

I’ve given up on Redshift for Blender the developments in ProRender 2.0 have me backing a new horse.

The big performance lead Redshift used to have has been eroded very quickly. Their unified sampler that cleaned up the noise has been more than matched by the Intel denoiser. There is also far more work for the user in setting up the render which if done poorly can result in excessive render times or ugly images. With newer GPUs and advanced denoising techniques the render time difference to getting a clean image is now negligible and ProRender certainly produces beautiful images without a lot of user effort which matters in production. Redshift is a game engine without a lot of complex shading networks. ProRender is also a drop in replacement for Cycles so everything is familiar it remains to be seen if Redshift will be or will limit the user to just Redshift nodes or it will feel like a native renderer like ProRender does.

I’m sure AMD will have more ray tracing hardware tech to show in the new year and with their own ray tracing tech ProRender will surely get even more performance. I cannot wait to see what hardware AMD bring next year, I’m certainly going to build a Threadripper based system and hope there’s a pair of nVidia killing Navi GPUs ready to power ProRender into 2020.

The other positive for ProRender is that it works on multiple platforms and is hardware agnostic. Redshift as of today only works on CUDA, they’ve announced no plans for PC AMD support only Mac Metal. No one knows what performance that will provide either.

No other render is offering what ProRender offers in terms of hybrid rendering and full path tracing from Eevee with ray tracing, biased rendering to full tracing in a consistent front end. @bsavery and team keep pushing hard your effort is much appreciated.

1 Like