Blender Video Tutorials -- The first batch

I started making some tutorials based on the information that I got in my earlier thread. Look here for new tutorials as I release them. I’d like your comments and constructive critisism about the presentation and any technical issues before I start to seriously dig into this project. And for those that don’t know, I want to start a community video tutorial archive that uses the same outline as the Blender Documentation.

Current Tutorials:
Interface Concept 49mb,24min.Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3 Mirror 4
3D Viewport 30mb, 15min. Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3 Mirror 4
Vital Functions 34mb, 16min. Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3 Mirror 4
Vital Functions - Appending 20mb, 10min. Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3 Mirror 4
Ramp Shaders 26mb, 12min. Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3 Mirror 4

Making a Video Tutorial - Windows 29mb, 17min. Mirror 1 Mirror 2 Mirror 3 Mirror 4

NOTICE: A big thank you to all that are mirroring these files. I’d like to know how the bandwidth load goes. For those that are downloading, please be patient if some of the mirrors start to slow down.

NOTICE: Please don’t link to these files. This is just a temporary location.
Check back here for more as they go up.

Update: 2004-09-09

I’m just about completing the testing phase, and I have ironed a few things out, found some problems and fixed them. I have confirmed that the sound distortion occurs just because Blender is using more processor than FrontCam and certain times (these usually involve zooming, but happen sometimes as well). Changing the priority of FrontCam (CTRL-ALT-DEL > Processes > Right-Click application) fixes the problem, but causes some contant, but still acceptable slow down in Blender. A faster computer should fix this.

Its was great it’s nice to finally get some video tuts for blender(including those glow plugin ones) it makes the understandablity(a real word?) of blender alot easier to comprehend.

amazing,thank you

keep these video tut on,i can learn a lot in this way, is as usefull as meeting other blender user!

i have to say your way to explain and your english are so clear that is really easy to follow your tut.

great work

Great work, this will help so much when I get to texturing. Are you going to do a poll on what to make your next video tutorial on (eg. uv unwrapping, skinning, rigging, particles etc.)?

Dude. After watching that tutorial, ramp shaders are actually starting to make sense to me:o Great stuff. So looking forward to the rest. Have you thought about asking for space over at 3d-palace.com?

… and your english are so clear that is really easy to follow your tut.

Oh good. I was a little worried about that :). I guess I’m a little self-conscious.

Are you going to do a poll on what to make your next video tutorial on

I’m planning on doing my first tutorials on the parts of the Blender Documentation that isn’t covered. I would like someone else to do a video on UV editor, Absolute and Relative Vertex keys, pose mode, non-linear animations, Yafray, and some other topics that I don’t have enough expirience in to make a successful video tutorial.

Have you thought about asking for space over at 3d-palace.com?

That would solve one of my problems. I’ll look into that.

According to the poll, more than 90% of you have broadband, so I’m not going to concern myself too much with making the file size rediculously small. And nothing but good reviews. I’ll have to finish some more to get some critisism on something. I’ll keep working on some more. Maybe I should also do a video tutorial on how to make video tutorials so we can get more community support on this.

This is encouraging. I’ll keep it up.

I thought the resolution (audio and video) of this tutorial was perfect. This is exactly the kind of thing that Blender needs, especially for the new features, such as Ramp shaders. So many of the new features come out with just a cursory explanantion at Blender.org that leaves me wanting more of an explanation. I look forward to any of these that you might do in the future.

Metsys,

Please have a look in your personal messages regarding a permanent location to host video tutorials.
(I believe I may have accidentally sent it twice)

Everybody else,

I have recently completed a tutorial on LSCM UVmapping and pinning (20min. 48Mb). It should be up shortly.

Happy blendering,
GreyBeard

GreyBeard: Will it be posted in this thread or elsewhere in Elysiun?

kirpre,

It will be in a different thread – I’m in negotiating for a hosting site (on a University server) at this moment.
Hopefully it will all happen before the weekend, I’m taking the kids camping so I won’t be around for the labour day weekend.

GreyBeard

I think the video tutorial on making video tutorials is a great idea. This would allow many people to give out good explanations on many areas quickly (faster than one person trying to do everything anyway) and I’m sure different people will be strongest in certain areas (as you said you don’t have much experience with certain things, whereas some people have).
Anyway, keep up the great work, I’ll be watching all the videos produced (looking foward to this LSCM one too :slight_smile: ).

Really cool! :smiley:

I was wondering how and what ramp shaders were, but I, in my infinite lazieness, never looked it up. :wink:

I look forward to more.

-Laurifer

That was one well done tutorial, and explained why mine experiments have yet to yield nice results. Thanks for your effort and time. :smiley:

How do you make video tutorials?

How do you make video tutorials?

Hopefully I’ll have that video tutorial on how to make video tutorials up by today. I’m writting the outline for it now and it should be up soon. Basically I used FrontCam (free), and used VituralDub to edit, crop, and convert the video to a DivX.

I would have had the video for the interface concept last night, but it ended up having a really bad audio curruption in the capture, so I’ll be recording that one again. I’m revising the outline, and I’ll try and get it under 20 minutes.

Metsys - I have to say a really big thankyou for the ramp shaders tutorial.
I did read some notes on this but didn’t really have a clue how to use this feature effectively.

Your video tutorial does a really good job of showing how the feature works.

I would love video tutorials on anything you care to make video tutorials on - modelling, lighting, materials, sequencing, animation - you name it.

This could also be a fantastic way of getting more people using and enjoying Blender too because video tutorials are reasonably popular with 3D packages I imagine. I swear I’d make them myself if I had any skills worth sharing. :expressionless:

Bandwidth might end up being a bit tricky for you however. Have you got a plan for that at all?

Caleb

I’ve got a video tutorial on using Chromakey RGB plugin

Jedi Dawn: Is there somewhere I could view this, I’m always interested in learning more about the plug-ins and what they’re capable of. Thanks.

Please share :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for this tutorial, Metsys.