Blenderguru Steampunk (The Swiss Navy)Last call

Yes I am just being picky for what is a great model, the problem is that you have set the bar very high and little details can spoil the overall effect. What I do with dials now is to paint out the needles on the dial image (in Gimp), then add a “mesh” needle to each so I can quickly turn this for each dial to save me time getting them all different.

I can’t wait to see renders of your pilot’s chair…

Keep up the excellent work, Clock.

Final post of the day, bring on the comfy chairs.

I think that the cabin is now mostly finished. It now needs some occupants, so I’ll start on that next. As the rules are allowing makehuman to be used, then that seems the way to go.

Our vessel now has a pilot. So far he only has very basic textures, but I will come back to him later.
There are two renders of this picture, and I’ve upped the render quality and resolution. Also the mountains need a normal map and or some displacement. I will probably go on to the ship next.

finished for the day, with a start on the ship.

Started on the base texturing of the ship, So far very simple. This is the base texture.

note that is as simple as possible, to allow for easy tiling
I also have a variation with portholes.

This is the vessel in its current state.

note that these textures are home made so copyright is not an issue here.

Is that the texture on the boat? If so, it looks more like bricks than plates imo

Ref the “Brick” appearance from the post above: Well actually…

This picture is of the Titanic - it shows the plates arranged in “Brick Bond” pattern. This was used to prevent undue stresses on the plate joints since one vertical joint only crossed one plate before meeting the centre of another plate either above or below. So I think Carel has the plate work spot on for a Victorian riveted ship. :yes:

I would change the colours, but this is not a final render I imagine.

Just my two pennies worth.

Cheers, Clock.

Clock, you are spot on, I took my reference from turn of the 20th century photos, so I knew I was on a solid footing. The colour was as a result of the sun which is an early evening hue, which makes more sense if you see the other elements of the final picture. but on this render I’ve turned it off, and turned up the environment map to get a more naturalistic light. I’ve also tweaked the shaders on the ship a bit, and I’m starting to add the furniture.

You should also note the each row of plates has its lower edge on top of the upper edge of the row of plates underneath - perhaps you could modify your bump map to include this feature, but that is really being picky :slight_smile:

Cheers, Clock.

PS. I am not old enough to remember the heyday of riveted iron plate ships before anyone suggest it.

From the shipyards of Ludwig the Mad (Actually he was Bavarian not Swiss).

As this is a steampunk warship, things are going to get a little odd.

Err - that should read “a little odder” I think… :smiley:

Cheers, Clock.

Last one for the day. I’ll finish the mast tomorrow, and add the Hydronium generator

Actually one more, testing it out in the main picture for positioning.

Wonderful progress on this project, no doubt it will be a very worthy contender for the contest. Really like what you did with the interior.

Perhaps you could incorporate my “Erkinator” from my Canberra WIP, but convert him to Hydronium power! Mind you he is not too well behaved just yet…

Cheers, Clock.

PS. Love the latest renders.

PPS. How did you do the water?

In an attempt to stop myself from getting bogged down, I have given myself a list of things to do. It will be interesting to see if I can do it all in one evening (I have a horrible habit of getting sidetracked). At the moment I am worried about the fact that I cannot fix on the final composition.
Therefore I’m going to go straight ahead, finish the models, and worry about the rest afterwards.

Harley, I feel that the cabin ought to feature more prominently as it is the most steampunk element of the ship, so I might be looking into that later.

Clock, I can only incorporate your erkinator, if he is wearing a top hat, otherwise he looks to modern.

Concerning the water, I used a glass Shader, connected to a procedural texture.
Here is a screen shot.

Thanks Carel, but your attachment does not seem to be valid…

Cheers, Clock.

hopefully fixed!