BlenRig 6 Release

work! thank you.

1 Like

Good! Glad you got it sorted.

1 Like

Just wondering if there is some kind of timeline that we could expect a Beta for Blender 2.8. Anxious to try this out.

1 Like

Now that Spring has sprung and BlenRig has been used in a 2.8 production, is there any info as to when we might get a 2.8 release?

There is blenrig version used in the srping movie on the blender cloud

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have the spare money right now for a Cloud subscription.

Hi guys!

Don’t use Spring’s BlenRig addon version, it’s just a port of some parts of the UI but it lacks of 90% of what’s important.

I’ve been working on porting BlenRig to 2.8, it’s already working, just give me a couple of days. I’ll try to release it next week!

5 Likes

oh by the way @captainkirk you don’t need a cloud subscription to download BlenRig from there and to see the videos, at least not for the Vincent timelapse. I’ll try to upload the rest of the videos to youtube soon too.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. And I just wanna say thanks to you for putting this amazing tool out there so people like me who have no rigging skills can still produce characters with good rigs.

Does blenrig suitable for BGE? Maybe there is a way to bake animations for deform bones and use them as base armature for character?

@CYNIC78 no unless you know what you’re doing. Next week I’ll do the 2.8 port release. Afterwards my plan is to release an updated version of the addon and the rig and also inlcude a game engine biped.

If you wanna do it yourself, you basically need to copy the deformation bones into a different armature, arrange the hierarchies properly and make all these deformation bones follow the deformation bones of the control armature. That is more or less what the game version will be about.

4 Likes

Hey, I have a question about rig customization. Obviously BlenRig is different from Rigify in that right now it’s only possible to create humanoid rigs. But is it possible to push it to work with non-humanoid characters, a dinosaur for example? The main issue I could see is the lack of tail bones.

Hi @captainkirk, yes it’s for humanoids for now, but there’s nothing hard coded or anything weird, in fact, I don’t code, so the rig works only with constraints and drivers, no black magic here.
So what I mean is that you can perfectly add your own tail bones and parent them to pelvis_def or some other bone.

Thanks for the reply. I assume the only major change one would have to do would be to the mesh deform cage?

Right, if you want it to deform with Mdef, yes. You could also make it deform just with the armature by adding that part of the mesh to the no_mdef vertex group (or however else you want to call it)

Cool, thanks.

I checked out BlenRig 5 a couple years ago when it first came out (went through all the cloud tutorials, etc). I really liked the deform cage workflow and corrective bones for knees and other joints. I mostly work on toon/anime characters though, so I found the face rig to be daunting and far too complicated for what I needed. I’ve ended up mostly using Rigify and AutoRigPro since (although I’ve been using them with the BlenRig deform cage >_>). I made my own corrective bones and added them to those other rigs, but was never very satisfied with them because i’m not that great at rigging.

Now that 2.8 versions are coming, I’ve been wanting to upgrade my rigging (especially corrective bones), and the easiest way to do that is to just switch to using BlenRig since it is far more advanced. There is also the problem that if I add corrective bones to those other rigs, then it screws up my ability to update them, or to properly resize them for different characters. So I’m trying to choose what direction to go in here, so a few questions:

1. Is there a way to simplify the BlenRig face rig? Can I get away with using less of it and just move unnecessary parts to another layer? Could I delete it safely and replace it with my own face rig?

2. If I wanted to add further bits to the rig (correctives, face stuff, clothing rigs, other toon based tweak stuff) is there a way to have it adjust properly if I retarget the rig to a new character? I assume that I would need my new bones to be the children of or constrained to the right stuff to get moved by the retargetting bones. Is there any documentation on how this works?

3. Is there any option to move feet into a high-heel position without permanently editing the base pose of the rig? I have characters that need to switch between flats and heels.

4. Does BlenRig require a script file be present along with the rig to provide the UI like Rigify does? This can sometimes be an issue when linking assets or instancing things.

Overall I’m trying to have a setup where I have a rigged body template that I can then use the rig to re-size to create different characters, and then not have any more concerns about body rigging, joints, volume, etc.

Thanks!

When i am in object mode and move a character armature rigged with blenrig (vincent rig) ,the whole character deforms.This means i can’t parent the rig to a car.I have also tested one rigged with rigify (mike rig) which has weird deformation on the arms only when move the rig in object mode.
Any solution to this?

Post your blend so we can help you.

Its the normal vincent blender rig…got an error uploading.