Original Post in 2013:
this is my first post at BA so first of all i want to say hi
short background: in the last ca. 11 years i was using 3ds max for low-poly game asset creation (for games that never materialized - but that’s another topic :)), from modeling, texturing to rigging and animation.
during this time i was also checking the evolution of blender (first time it even wasn’t open source and last time it was release 2.49) and although i liked it it somehow was not a match for app i was using (unstable, lack of tools, weird…)
now a week ago i gave it another shot and downloaded release 2.68a and was blown away. i can say i was waiting all these years for blender to reach this maturity (it even contains 3ds max preset - YES).
however as i’ve said i’m used to 3ds max so to satisfy my needs (or habits?) to full extent i’ve coded a small addon i’ve named ‘bmax tools’.
i hope you’ll enjoy it.
BMax Tools is a set of custom and assorted selection of native Blender tools that loosely follow the appearance and naming conventions of 3ds max. All tools are accessible through custom context menus which replace the native ones.
- interactive ‘Align Selection’ dialog
- interactive ‘Clone Options’ dialog (hybrid of clone and array tool)
- interactive ‘Mirror’ dialog (object and armature)
- hide/un-hide objects (preserves selection status)
- freeze/un-freeze objects
- one-click ‘Make Planar’ and ‘View Align’ (sub-object levels)
- one-click ‘Turn Hidden Edge’
- one-click ‘Target Weld’ toggle
- one-click ‘Remove Isolated Geometry’ (sub-object dependent)
- select N-gons
- vertical/horizontal UV spacing
- one-click rotate UVs 90 degrees CW/CCW
- one-click shading preview setup (for silhouette checking, etc.)
- tool selection tracker (preserves tool selection across modes and workspaces)
The package comes with BMax Tools Extras, which are an optional install that enhances and/or consolidates some aspects of Blender’s default behavior.
- modified select, rotate, scale, and cursor icons
- modified industry compatible keymap (for changes see this post)
- one-click set scene view to scene origin
- synchronized X-Ray toggle (both modes are set at once to the same value)
- enhanced X-Ray setup (adds access to backwire alpha and pose bone X-Ray)
INSTALLATION: Read the included file “readme.txt”
MIN. BLENDER VERSION: 2.83.9 LTS
DOWNLOAD: BMaxTools_complete_v3.0.zip (297.2 KB)