BMW i8 - Shading

I was quite bored with my studies so i jumped into blender and quickly made some renders just for fun, and thought maybe i would share them to refresh this thread a bit :slight_smile: :

tell me what do you think ?

I know the modeling isnā€™t done yet, donā€™t worry iā€™ll finish, but after my exam :slight_smile:

Woah. *Drools

Here is my attempt with an exterior render :

so ?

nopeā€¦ nopeā€¦ nope

i totally agree with you, but i would like some precision, what am i doing wrong ? i donā€™t get how to integrate it very well :frowning:

you arenā€™t doing anything wrong its jst how it turned out is wrongā€¦
see for yourself
90% of the background image is grey-ish
but i canā€™t find even a pinch of grey on the reflection of the carā€¦
this is easy to solveā€¦ but its complicated at the same timeā€¦
iā€™ll link the solution in a couple of hours

I dontā€¦

Ghilas, I like the idea. It is very aggressive. I SORTOF agree, except for the part that there really are no reflections, just intense diffuse light. Honestly, thats not a huge deal, and if you wanted to fix it, it would be as simple as taking the HDRi, slapping it in gimp and creating a mask with a desat filter set to luminosity so it preserves light valuesā€¦

I think your problem isā€¦
The reflections arent bright ENOUGH, so it doesnt look like deliberate post processing. Its not that having grey walls and a colored car is bad, in fact its a whole style of art post pro of its own, one might say. Just make sure it doesnt look like an accident. It is a night scene so honestly if there is going to be yellow from city lights it needs to have just a touch more orange in it, and I think the background should have just a touch (and I do mean JUST a touch) more contrast, and should be just a little darker. and like I said, kick up the scene brightness a tad so the car pops a little more.

besides that I think you are good. If you dont believe me about the saturation thin in reflections, just look

It hard to see but there is color in those reflections, but also look at how bright the car is. It just needs to look deliberate, is all.

I think the color balance of the car isnā€™t matching that of the backplate. Keep it up!

So I think the main problem with the render is the weak shadow under the car. It makes it look like the car is floating above the backplate. Oscar mentions the color balance of the car; one way to test the colors is to turn your image to black and white. If it looks better, then that means your original color is off.
Also another thing that stands out is the motion blur on the right side of the carā€¦the rest of the car isnā€™t blurred at all, so technically, that blur shouldnā€™t be there. Other than that it looks great, nice for an early stage of the render process!

Thanks for this in depth explanation, noted :).
I really appreciate your constructive comments, you are awesome guys ;).
sure it is a really early stage render Goldenfrog, i just wanted to see how is my model when rendered, more focus on rendering AND shading (cause iā€™m not that satisfied with it yet), will be after iā€™m done with the modeling.

also iā€™m planning to make on of this type of renders :

either this one :

or this :

in both case, i would like to model the environment manually if possible, this would give me more control and greater integration, and of course a higher and more realistic result (depends on the environment of course), but that is just an option, nothing sure for now.

iā€™ll try to apply your advices, and will share the result :slight_smile: soon.

so what type of environment would you prefer to see my i8 in it ? tunnel or nature ?

Tunnel. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m gonna have to go with nature! Those natural reflections and dappled sunlight on a shiny car really make a lush and interesting image

Nature,no specific reason but as your are focusing more on rendering and shading i think it will help.

Yeah, nature attracts me more, the decision will be after :).

i tried my best to apply your advices guys and here is the result :

Before :

After :

the list of changes :

-added more contrast
-changed the position of the car, also the perspective.
-brightened the reflections (the hdri is not that bright but i tried)
-some other things i forgot
*also, ignore the straight line on the middle of the hood (just a texture problem).

so tell me what do you think now :).

YESSSS! That is looking almost perfect. The shadow looks like just the right darkness now, althoughā€¦Iā€™m trying to think. I think it should be blurred? Like it needs motion blur. Iā€™m assuming that itā€™s coming from like street lamps and stuff which would be moving in relation to the car and camera, so it should be as blurred as the ground underneath it. Other than thatā€¦this is probably one of the best car renders Iā€™ve seen on this site!

When i started this rendering test, i wasnā€™t thinking to put in some serious work, but hey as iā€™m thinking now, i should work and finetune it better before returning to the modeling of the rest, thanks Goldenfrong, iā€™ll give it a last try and try my best ;).

No, iā€™ll tell you why:

Physically : the light is really fast, so fast that whatever the speed you have, it will always be faster, so itā€™ll catch up,and the shadows will appear normally(as you are standing still)

Technically : the car itself isnā€™t blurred due the good quality camera, why the shadows will be ?

and here are some examples :slight_smile: :

as you can see the shadows are not blurred at all , but thanks anyway Goldenfrog :slight_smile:

This one is about five hundred million times better, if not more. Maybe the unsharp mask filter is a little too obvious, though.

The background plate has puddels so your car should be kicking up spray.

Spray can also be a good way to add more visual interest into the image:

-Thanks

ā€¦ time to break out real flow XD