Boardgame

Thought I’d see what a computer game I own would look like if it was an old-fashioned board and counter game from the seventies and eighties. The computer game is called ‘War in the East 2’ and it’s by Matrix Games.

43 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you kindly Bart

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

One of the very few Cycles renders that gets past the uncanny valley. Simple, but effective! :+1:

Now, one very small nitpick: My dad had a lot of these games, and back then none that I can remember came with transparent dice (or even anything other than D6). Mostly I remember white plastic with black dots and larger bevels than on your render. :nerd_face:

Edit: Oh, sneaky, I see where you borrowed the dice from now! Well done, guess they are age appropriate at least.

1 Like

Wow - so “simple” and perfect textured. Looks convincing for me. Photo-Quality.

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember some of these games… both hex-based wargames with map boards and loads of cardboard counters and role-playing games. I think the wargames (like Squad Leader) tended to use more traditional 6 sided dice. RPGs used all sorts. I decided this mythical game would benefit from a range of dice.

They are actually based on my memory of the dice I got with a boxed role-playing game called Runequest in the early Eighties. They weren’t created specifically for this project, but lifted from an updated version of a scene I’ve posted here before.

4 Likes

Ok wait, is that last pic a render? :hushed:
It’s getting really hard to tell lately with the talent level on this site. :upside_down_face:

Looks like a Commodore 64 on the right, there. :metal:t2:

1 Like

Yeah… it was a tweaked version of this scene

1 Like

Oh yeah, I remember liking that image. The new angle and dice look great; you had me second guessing.

1 Like

amazing man.

1 Like

It looks SOOO good, I wanna move some batallions :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I guess we both rewound casettes after load errors a lot. :sweat_smile:

You have a very good sense of lighting in both renders. Most realistic I’ve seen Cycles ever produce.

1 Like