Box Modeling

Here’s a nice seamless texture for when you’re ready for UV mapping.

http://www.cclarkgallery.com/image/gray_square2.jpg

Excellent! Because of its size I’ll use it for the Hillman’s brain UV mapping.

You know, despite the banality I find this a great work of art :slight_smile:
Just look at the colors and shade.
Absolutely stunning.
Me thinks this is not your first box :slight_smile:
P

My one critique is that I think the background would look better blue.

OK, here are two concepts started from a strange looking shape. Still not sure which box modeling way to choose…

Attachments

thatnk you for the detailed steps many a box modeller will learn heaps. This is quickly becoming my favorite thread.

You could combine those two concepts. Could you? I would look really… interesting.

Np, here we go! This is a box model of Larry’s suggestion, from both sides, of course the eye isn’t visible from backside! I will subsurf it once like you said later.

Please do not mix first picture with the rest, first picture is just a starting shape. It’s all still very WIP*.

*(check active pink face in edit mode, second picture)

Attachments

But seriously, with a box modeling it’s quite easy to get good organic results if you follow this simple rules:

• Between extrude areas must be at least one subdivision space (picture on the left).
  • Joints (knee, ankle, etc) must bend on the nodes with 4 edges. Problem is when you extrude (leg on example) you get nodes with 5 edges. You can solve this easy if you extrude in the same plane and scale it down, next extruding will be again with 4 edges (picture in the middle).
  • Right picture is example of bad extruding (no space between extruding areas), in such case you get nodes with 6 edges. Use this option only if you can’t avoid it (sometimes fingers, nose, …).With box modeling you can build many organic forms, but it’s probably impossible to make proper topology for realistic human face expressions (at least not without additional retopology). Musculature of face is very complex (shoulder too) and need exact topology flows for a good results.

Attachments

Those are excellent tips.

Usually are bugs unpleasant, but sometimes are bug results just great! This is today’s bug (I’ve been forcing Blender with modeling already rigged and animated model, which I don’t recommend, yet :slight_smile:. Isn’t it nice!?

Do you know what is this? If you will guess, I’ll give you free registration!

Answer will follow…

Attachments

Popski, I agree with your three tips. This thread cracked me up. Keep up the good work.

P.S. bugman_2000, make a texture library :slight_smile:

When talk no understand with words that seem jumbled and confused, I understand not what you are talking about with bug and registration. Post not make sence does.

I really dont get how all these things are in for focused critique… I also dont understand how 4 projects are in the same thread…

Bugman_2000: How did you make that texture? Is it GIMP or Photoshop?
Could you PLEASE write a tut (or another book) on creating textures?
Creating textures is one of my weak points.

PS: When someone gets a chance, I could really use a few pointers on sphere modeling.

Was it a stick man.

Good start so far! I recommend visiting subdivisionmodeling.com, which is a virtual gold mine for all box and poly-to-poly modelers. I particularly like the frog.

Whatever it is, it’s bloody cool looking. How did you do it?
Always interested in abstracts such as these.
P

It looks sorta like an abstract mosquito.

hangglider was my first impression … but quite obviously its a box

It’s a grasshopper, in a box.