Box Modeling

In the WIP section and on my website, I’ve got a nice looking dinosaur made from a box. I had no idea there was a post on box modelling!
I even made planes (aircraft) from boxes! No joke. Check the photos on blendimation for proof!

Edit: This model is moved to DVD volume 3 | Models (cover not ready yet, wip)

http://blender.ljudmila.net/images/thumb/2/24/UT_DVD_box_2b.jpg/250px-UT_DVD_box_2b.jpg

Dogs don’t lay boxes. They lay ico spheres!

aaaaAAAAAaand boxes! :yes:

Hmm, that one was too complex, ha?! You don’t like complex forms? Neither do I. Actually I like box the most, but dang, that I already made so many times!!!

Repetitio est mater studiorum!

OK, so let’s go one more time, but this time something more simple, closer to basics, closer to the box…

Actually you can do something with even less than 100 faces, huh!?

Attachments

now that last one is brilliant!

I’d like to see the box hatching…

Well, with a box extruding you can easy get some kind of human face topology. What’s wrong with such topology? Not much, except that are some important nodes on the wrong places if you want to morph expressions. Like I said before, positions of nodes with 3, 5 and 6 edges (somewhere they call them N, E, etc, but this kind of naming is just too confusing for me) are the most important for a good topology. This nodes defining directions of ‘loop’ flows.

Get rid of non-quads!! We can listen this kind of ‘advices’ all the time! This isn’t very useful and many times also wrong, because in some cases are such non-quad nodes perfectly OK but usually ‘just’ on wrong places…

Example of poor topology, check for better in later posts…

Attachments

Popski, your girl has hair all over her face! Do something!

Great model, btw! And your sculpture… I love it!

:spin:

Those are normals.

BTW, I have another fine example of box modelling on my site. A plesiosaur with nice eyes and sculpting and such.

haha.

really cool sculpture tho…it’s neat when u can get so much expression from so simple.

Thank you guys!

You mean like this? Hmm, interesting…

Attachments

Looks sweet! It almost looks like a lizard/car hybrid. It looks as if it has a windshield and a sunroof. Cool model!

yes, but does it get good gas milage?

Well, cold blooded animals have great gas mileage. Take it for a spin and see! :spin:

Yes, doodling around with a box modeling is easy. Frozen mask looking creatures and toys are quite simple to build, but animated live looking models with a proper facial expressions is a different story…

I don’t want to say that is box modeling with extruding and tweaking only - bad or useless, it is very important knowledge, perhaps the most, I just say that is control of topology flows next step in modeling…

So, I’ll try to climb on this mountain which looks like a hill, but this is most likely only optical illusion… :slight_smile: I’ll show you why I think so…

Actually I will explore with this model how to make tris ‘good’. For this I need KKEY, tools under menu CTRL-EKEY and ‘new’ ripping (or cutting) tool - VKEY, all in edit mode.

VKEY is a tool with a quite unusual behavior. Important is that is a mouse pointer on the exact ripping direction. OK, it is logic behind why is it working that way, especially if you select only one vertex and press VKEY!

Here is another box, this time with applied subsurf modifier (level 2); scaled, extruded and with moved node N5. I’ll call it N5 on www.subdivisionmodeling.com they call it E.

Difference between this and upper ‘mask’ model is in one small but very important detail, node N5 under mouth is moved forward outer edgeloop. That way I get one wider loop which I will need for the proper mouth morphing and moving. You can use VKEY for moving nodes N5 around, but it’s not the only possible way!

Done! He’s a. boy!!

Attachments

Do you know how to make such edgeloop on subdivided cube in a few silly steps? Of course it’s very important!

Attachments

& next post: Something completely different!!

Do you remember when I started to model one boy…?

Ups, it’s on the same page! Well, now he already looks older. He is also fat enough to feel very good!

This time without additional N5 nodes, only some loopcuts more and tweaking…

He still can’t see, talk, smell and hear, but I have already in plan to change his sex, age and location.

Attachments

you might have some insight for the poles and loops thread here…