Building a better eyeball. Now with Tutorial !

Sorry, can’t agree with this.

First, the condition not to “rely on image maps that could get lost” seems silly cause best results cannot be achieved by using only procedural textures, yet. Of course, it depends on what you’re making, but for most part image maps are still a necessarity.

Second, I haven’t seen any eye with procedural textures that looks better than an eye with perhaps-slightly-photoshopped-image-texture slapped on it, yet.

Sago, did you watch the demo animation? How do you suppose one would go about doing that with image textures? I agree photos have there place but so does this… so just relax… :slight_smile:

The process shouldn’t be any different for uv-mapped images. Once uv-mapped, the image will stretch/shrink according to how the vertices move. In fact, if you feel this is better, just take everything from this tutorial and slap on a uv-mapped iris. You can have the best of both worlds. If you use one image for the entire eye then I can foresee some trouble with animation but generally you’ll use an iris texture and another one for the white portion.

Sorry lucidMonkey, Wizard’s right. An image could easily substitute for the texture. The muscle movement effect is due to the UV mapping, not the type of texture.

And Sago - “It’s my eyeball and I’ll texture it if I want to…” (Add own musical accompniment) ! :ba:

I understand that bit… but what about the color change? I suppose you could fade between two or ten textures, but really would you want to do that? Keying a few colors is so much easier!

but what if you want the veins moving or other freaky animated iris effects… Procedurals is the best way!!!
:slight_smile: Happy Blending!

Moving veins could be done with procedural textures (I think they can be animated over time) and there are tonnes of options for texture/material IPOs and texture blending modes. With a little bit of thought and ingenuity you could take this work a step further and I think thats the point here; take what Ammusionist has given us and make it our own :evilgrin:

that’s wicked, man. My eyeballs always look like those bouncy balls that are sold around Halloween…

Thanks for the .blend! I was surprised you didn’t use any material nodes, though.

if only there was a way to use IPO actions for every single option in the texturing then procedural textures would be more useful over proper textures

really nice :slight_smile: i ll try to use that technique to achieve a realistic looking eye, but thanks a lot for the idea :slight_smile:
5 stars !! ^^

Hi - Is this tutorial still available somewhere? None of the links seem to be working.

Thanks!

do right click and save as

it won’t work for me in browser but saving it did

Thank you for your contribution to the community and the tutorial was very instructive. So much to learn…
Paul

Great for your information, I like to make eyes and I almost make it the same as you did.
But it’s good to have more references :wink: and you have given me more inspiration to get beter results.

I have heard so many Great things about this PDF Tutorial for the Eye, but the link seems to be Broke, is there another place for me to get the PDF file for this tutorial. I would greatly appreciate getting this Tutorial.

Raven Whitehawk

I have heard so many Great things about this PDF Tutorial for the Eye, but the link seems to be Broke, is there another place for me to get the PDF file for this tutorial. I would greatly appreciate getting this Tutorial.

OH Cool, I just notice the Little trick for getting the Tutorial, thanks.

Oh DARN, I tried the Right Click Method for getting this Tutorial, it appears that the Tutorial got Downloaded, but Adobe is Saying that the File is either not the right format or Damaged because it was emailed, could some one please help me out getting this GREAT Tutorial.

Raven Whitehawk

both links are dead.

Please fix the links, I want to see the tut too : (

No one has touched this thread for over a year, post new and link, don’t necropost

(and yes I am aware of the irony of necroposting to say don’t necropost :frowning: )

very curious; however, the link are broken