C4D - Blender Working Together

Hi there! Im new on this Forum so I don’t know if this is the right place to ask for it! I’m switching from cinema4D to Blender, and I have a couple of questions… Let see If you guys are able to help me out on Blender and for sure a lot of c4d users that are alos migrating or expanding their range of knowledge!

I have a scene inside c4d *1

And Im trying to import the same camera to Blender trough FBX format. (The other formats are very heavy in size and get error)

This is the options of the Import *2

This is the Result *3

And this is when I switch to the camera that cames from FBX*4

So The status is: The geometry Arrived, But Flipped of somekind. I understand Up vector and Blender and c4d are different (C4d +Y) (Blender+Z) But this isn’t appear to be de difference here.

I’ve tried already all the possible options in the “Manual Orientation” from Import Menu.
I’ve tried all the possible options in the Export from C4d (Flip Z and (Up Vector))
I’ve tried to bake the animation in c4d Export but the result is the same.

No camera!

If I zoom out I see no camera inside blender, only a dot in the place that camera suppose to be.

So, Anyone have succeded into bring a camera From C4d to Blender? What do I missing here?
Thanks for your time!

Interesting, and welcome to Blender Communities!

I am quite curious what do you guys modeled using C4D? For myself, I have modeled trains and trains’ trucks/bogies.
I’m an expert in Blender modeling, materials using node editor, and texture paint (just basic stuff)
right now I am experimenting with Sorcar so i would build a simple boat. it will be fun.

I am also studying Python Language. I am still trying to come up with ideas for creating addon… There are too many addons that are added for Blender 2.79 and 2.8X. hahaha For now, I think i’ll create a better boolean addon. The current boolean system that Blender have is not very good right now.

so I’m here if you have any questions, I can do my best to give you a good advices and helps. I hope you’ll come to like Blender 2.82a

cheers,
:beer:

Try to put a minus on the Z value (Scale)…

2020-03-13_04-57-26

Thanks [Xelbayria]. I model for myself not an expert of corse. Check out my artstation if you want some exemples of what I specifically do with c4d! In the moment would like to know If you already if you’ve already brought a FBX file with a camera to blender successfully. Specially comming from c4d. Thing is I already do some stuff in Cinema but Octane is the render that I want to work with and right now its free on Blender, that is also free, what makes me get some try! I hope I like it too my friend! Best wishes and thaks for the hospitality!

1 Like

Buddy! this doesn’t worked.
I think the options in import do the same anyway. Did you make this happen already? Have you brough the same camera from another software inside Blender?

Yep… That’s a C4D camera right there, and that trick worked…

All right, a truly thanks for those who try to help me here, but none solution was capable to solve my problem. I find myself a way to fix it and will jump right into the solution to be more practical with those who face same problem bringing a FBX from CINEMA4D to BLENDER:

This solution wasn’t tested for animated cameras but its a starting point.

Thank you all for your time!

So I am working with animation nodes to create a Step Effector. Now suddenly when I left click a node port to form a link with another node a pencil appears and I am only able to draw a line?? What on earth is going on??

Scratch the question. Total newbie here and somehow had switched to the Annotate Tool.

Has any C4D user experimented with the scene reconstruction functionality?

I find it really interesting, I can’t wait to try it at some point.

Hi All,

By any chance, do you know a “Content Browser” equivalent for blender? I’m trying to create my blender library files.

It cost but worth every penny :slight_smile: https://blendermarket.com/products/asset-management

1 Like

@Gregg_Hartley

Thanks for the response.
It says “Note: 2.8 version is available in Alpha Stage!”
Does this mean it is still experimental?

Oh, I never even realised that haha. Ive been using it in 2.80, 2.81 and 2.82 and it works great. Its such a time saver. I even mapped my right click-shaft drag as my hdri rotation hotkey, like substance painter. Here is a few screen shots of my custom lib - -

2 Likes

@Gregg_Hartley

Thanks for the clarification! :slight_smile:
Have a great day ahead!

1 Like

@Gregg_Hartley
Just an update. I ended up using the built-in File Browser in Blender. It functions the same way with C4D’s Content Browser :slight_smile:

Cool Beans :slight_smile:

Hi All,

In Cinema4D, you can add textures on the group rather than objects themselves.
Is there a similar workflow in Blender?

dl.dropbox.com/s/pochqdeez8970g3/blen49_add_materials_on_a_group.jpg

Add material to one object, then select all with the object with material as active and hit Ctrl+L to link materials

The ‘scene reconstruction’ in C4D is pretty nasty, the geometry is generates is next to useless and not worth wasting your time with like most features in C4D it’s either unfinished or left to rot this is both unfinished and rotting.

You are far better off doing your matchmoving then using a tool like Meshroom to do the scene reconstruction. When this is done import the reconstructed scene and align it with your 3d track point cloud.