Cabin in the Woods

One of the most and beautiful and well made scene I saw in blender, you can see so many details on this scene that its amazing! 5 stars!

Wow. I saw this in the critique section and thought that was amazing but this is just a different league. Definitely going to put it as my background on my home desktop :slight_smile:

My only critique goes for that tree on the left of the image, i think is too much saturated and low res.

Thanks guys for all the comments and critiques, much appreciated!

SSimpossible: Haha, thanks, but I cant pretend to be at that level yet, the stuff there is amazing! I might make an account there, I haven’t bothered to do that yet. I might put it in the 3D stills topic though.

IkariGendo: Thanks, which tree? I kinda have lots:P And about the low res? They are all polygon trees so unless your looking at the 720p version and not the 1080p link, I am not sure how it could be low res.

When I was trying to learn grass a couple months back, I had a really hard time with it. I searched and searched but all the tutorials gave unsatisfactory results either they were just not good in the first place, or out of date. Finally I figured it out the hard way, but I was thinking that if I had time perhaps I could make one if people are interested.

Very well done! I just find it a bit overwhelming with all the green, a bit more brown patches in the grass and trees would add contrast in my opinion.

But overall is great man.

Chromatic aberration is definitely overdone in the first one. While chromatic aberration does occur in real life, it generally isn’t this much. Also you might want to play around with DOF because that is there IRL as well. It’s your choice as to whether you want shallow DOF or not.

everything done with blender?

beautiful rendering, did you model all of that?

If I went and started showing this to people they would say, “big deal, it’s just a picture of a cabin in the woods”, little do they know it’s 3D. I just want to say this looks beautiful and well done.

WOW! I think they should move this piece in the gallery… can you post a wire please :smiley:

Thanks again guys. After seeing some other pieces that might or already are submitted to the contest, I decided that I am going to keep working on this because I don’t want to be sooooo close but no cigar. I don’t mind when I do really bad, but I really hate when I know I could have done better, but decided not to. I’ll make a checklist of all the stuff that needs fixing and then go from there. Fortunately it seems I won’t have to re-render which is good cause I saved the original render so I can start over post pro wise.

Here are the wires to prove its real (or fake depending on how you look at it :slight_smile: ) Because it was just too much on my computer, I had the background trees in another file and then added them post pro. Hopefully that wasn’t noticeable.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9269/wiresl.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4784/wires2.jpg

Just a beautiful image! (on my desktop too!)

Ok, this is my plan:

-Lower lens effects a lot (distortion and dispersion). Some people have suggested shallow DOF, but I actually have some, but it is subtle and realistic (unlike the dispersion right now)

-Work with colors. add more color contrast and have a variety of greens, browns, and yellows while keeping the sky blue to almost white.

-Anything else?

IkariGendo, sorry what are you pointing at? The tree line to harsh? The color of the sky? Perhaps I’m just not seeing it after looking at the same picture over and over.

And yes, everything is done 100% in Blender except for the few textures of course: Tree trunks, dirt, sky, and all that stuff. The cabin itself and the roof tiles are actually procedural 'cause I was too lazy to UV that monster.

Thanks, but I really wasn’t being that modest. Your image is so relaxing to look at, and if Andrew Price loves a nature scene it’s gotta be good :wink:

/uploads/default/original/3X/9/5/95d585b3b3fbb4180de77a75c2be036a639f4cd7.jpgd=1341975971

See the difference between the two images youself posted?
Note the difference in color between the trees, in this second image looks much more saturated and very different from other trees, like a plastic tree.
well, maybe just me. If you add some bloom. Like, coming from behind the trees would be cool, i think. =) And i don’t think the dispersion was too much, i think was great. haha

Ah, thanks IkariGendo, I will take that into account. I think in that particular picture I didn’t add any bloom so that is probably why.

I did a little bit of work on this today, what do you think so far?

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7383/photorealisticcabininth.png

Honestly? I found the first image just great, you might change a little more the color grading adding a bit of magenta and blues to balance the green, you could add some lens effects etc…, But something subtle.
Right now it seems that everything is way too saturated, I do not know if it’s my monitor or just my perception, I’m sorry.

Thanks for all the support guys, but now I’m finally done:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4916/photorealisticcabininth.jpg

I hope you like it!

I agree the previous image was too much greenish, however, i don’t like the new color comp that much. This kind of overlay red wine color is strong. Did you set on “screen” the glow over the trees in the back? It seems pure white set on “normal”…

Another thing, did you make a proper mist/atmosphere pass? I don’t see a nice volume fog, it would add that humid feeling of a proper wood. Plus, it could produce some nice volume light rays.

I think the base raw render is super cool, now it’s really up to compositing well and push the image to its limits.

Get a look at some VFX breakdown from blockbuster movies, they could refresh your eyes and look at how pro users get the photorealistic look…and take a look here for inspiration too.