Cabin in the Woods

Hi,

first of all: nice render, I like it.

I’m working on a similar nature scene right now but I’m really troubled about the high memory consumption when rendering and the slow viewport while modelling. I want to have twice as much plants as I have right now but that would be too much for my laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently I have 5 particle systems to each place around 5000-10000 copies of rocks and plants to the scene (I wouldn’t like to lower the count as it would have empty spots then).

Do you have any tips how to lower mem consumption while rendering? And what are the specs or your laptop and workstation in terms of MEM and CPU? :stuck_out_tongue:

greetings,
stardiaries

Impressive man. How did you make the grass? Is this made in particles system with blender internal render?

stardiaries: Ok, so first of all if you don’t already, use layers. I have one layer for the ground and water, another for like 3 trees, another for the lose trees, another for ivy, one for the house, etc… My computer has 4 gigs of memory and a dual core CPU with 2.60 GHz. It works, but its not that great cause its kinda old as well. As for rendering tips, I rendered it on my CPU, and left it overnight. This may not work well with a laptop, I’m not sure.

No, actually its made with a hair particle system but with a group of grass objects in cycles. I am planning a tutorial on it in a little while.

This is amazing work. Well done, I can’t wait to learn how to do that myself. :slight_smile:

Amazing. How long did it take you to make it?

Thanks guys, this took quite a while to make, but I don’t know how long. Probably since a week after the contest was announced I guess.

hi jonathan,
hair particle works in cycles? not working for me

It looks amazing. Can’t wait for your tutorial on your work. I would love to know how you did the moss on the tree. Is it a texture, with bump/displacement mapping. So far I have been dissapointed with my experiments on making nice looking moss whether it is “just” a texture or even going the expensive route and making it with particles…

@AnandhaRaja

hair particles working with mesh only

Looks amazing :slight_smile:

The only possible CC I have is the grass that is up close to the camera looks a bit low res. Of course this is way beyond what I could do anyway so I should keep my mouth shut :slight_smile:

Very nice!

Moved this to the gallery, absolutely deserved! Such a great piece.

Very Great !

Hey, I just noticed that this made it to the gallery.
Thanks guys, hopefully my next project will be even better! :wink:
Jonathan

Hi,

Post # 37 looks like the best one to me. Fantastic work you did! :yes:

Clinton

Unbelieveable man! Your à great example for à starter like me! Thanks!

IMHO - Photo-editing the structure to lose a little on green channel, might look better. I shall try and post it.

Your pictures are realistic so it shows you were successful in your task of clicking realistic pictures.
They are worth appreciating but you could have foccussed more on background.
Keep posting

@Jonathon L, I agree I like the second uploaded image. It looks like your walking out of the woods up to it. Great Job detail is the key and you have it…