CAD Like transform

Wow, this is awesome, this fixed my biggest gripe with Blender, thank you!

You da man, makes snapping so much easier!

Hi,

Working hard for next release, we still are in extensive test phase and expect to release soon. In the meantime here are dev logs.

• align to face normal
  • snap to location on edge / normal using keyboard (eg Ā±1 from left edge vertex along edge)
  • support for edit mode (mesh and curves)
  • affect only origins / locations / parents
  • a grid widget so you may use global / local / user grids as snap target
  • ability to transform in more than one axis direction using keyboard
  • absolute scale mode (by size instead of factor)
  • improved widgets / text location
  • bugfix shaders compilation not supported on mac
  • bugfix scale with negative constraint axis
10 Likes

Just not trying to push too far: :wink:
Would it make sense to constrain alternatively to X, Y or Z with a Key modifier pressed, when pointer close to one of them, without necessity to press X, Y or Z?

2 Likes

We canā€™t assume it is desired behavior in all cases.
With regular transform operators this is triggered by middle mouse button. This was a bad decision, middle mouse should always allow to rotate / pan view instead. As result viewport navigation is impossible in native transforms while running .
As soon as a ā€œtriggerā€ is needed to let user choose and middle mouse button is kept free for navigation, the xyz keys make sense.

2 Likes

great news @stephen_legerā€¦

if you canā€¦ recorver the blender standard average snap feature (pressing ā€˜Aā€™ key when snap mode, the final snap point will be the average distante between first and next snap points)

This is what I am been waiting for; thank you very much. Is it possible to make the setting permanent with the default blend file or in the preference?

The absolute scale is a preference setting

This is an absolute game changer! Thank you so much for this!!!

This is a great add-on! Thank you Stephen!

Released CAD Transform version 0.0.3

• align to face normal
  • snap to object origin
  • snap to location on edge / normal using keyboard (eg Ā±1 from left edge vertex along edge)
  • support for edit mode ! (mesh and curves)
  • affect only origins / locations / parents
  • a grid widget so you may use global / local / user grids as snap target
  • ability to transform in more than one axis direction using keyboard
  • absolute scale mode (by size instead of factor)
  • average snap targets using A key
  • improved widgets / text location
  • bugfix shaders compilation not supported on mac
  • bugfix scale with negative constraint axis
14 Likes

:clap: :100: :heart_eyes:

This is awesome!!!

Edit mode and curves huge add!!
This will work with archipack in the future?

Thanks sthephen!!!

Cant make any move, looks like BL got stuckedā€¦?
What I might possibly do wrong with it?
Does not behave like previous release??

UPDATE: Apparently conflicts with/ AFAIK/:

1. BlenderGIS
  2. VI-Suite

This is so good, Thank you! I just noticed the center face snapping, what a blessing!. :+1:

Yes, such important move require extended tests so cad transform is a first step.

It is the exact same basis, same shortcuts. Ensure at least one object / vertex is selected.
Canā€™t repro blenderGIS issue, was able to use g / r / s.

As side note, there are some limitations with snap, it does require faces to work. So isolated vertices / mesh made of edges only will not be snap targets.

Had some issues but sorted them out and its working now ))
See CAD Like transform

Can someone help me on to install this on blender? Im a new user of blender and really need this feature for my thesis propose . Im working with MacOS but can install blender in my windows laptop . Thanks for the attention

Thank you so much for being so helpful . https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/178305/perform-assembly-alignment-of-two-objects?noredirect=1#comment298877_178305 this is what I wanted to perform . Do you think it is possible with this?