Cameras Lister

add-ons
blender2-80

Camera Lister is a free addon for Blender 2.80 that lists all the cameras in your scene so you don’t have to search them through the Outliner among other objects, and allows you to easily switch between them.

To access the Camera Lister panel, use the shortcut Alt + C.

DEMO:

You can take it from here:

This addon is based on this proposal I made on Right Click Select:

And special thanks to @Secrop without whom I wouldn’t have been able to write all the functionalities the way I wanted.

(David C B) #2

This is a most welcomed AddOn. Thank you for making it, as well as sharing it freely with the community.

Glad you like it!

(Peetie) #4

Thanks for the addon. This encourage Blender-users to use multiple cameras and so this will improve the quality of the videos made with Blender. I tried it and it is much eassier in the workflow to add markers in the timeline and bind cameras. Works very nice.

(Toudou) #5

Thank you for your shareing. This is useful for me, because i handle large and many objects scene sometimes. So, it makes easier to pick up and change camera!

Hey guys, glad you find it useful!

Nice to see it serves you beyond what I intended initially!

At work I’m using 3dsmax, and I have to place many cameras as well to propose multiple shots for my boss to make decisions and found Blender was lacking that crucial functionality of being able to quickly switch between cameras, hence this addon.

(marcatore) #7

Just a question: the addon seems useful about the management of the multiple cameras but what about the rendering?
I mean, I have 3 cameras and I’d like to render all of them or 2 of them. The demo of the addon seems ignoring this part. Where am I wrong?

Cleared this I think this will be really useful. At the moment I use the binded cameras but a more flexible system is more than welcome.

thanks in advance.

(MatsuikoHiroka) #8

if you want to render multiple camera use this addon

Well… you are right, this is not about rendering.

If you meant batch rendering, I think Gleb’s addon will work better.

If you meant something else, maybe can you make a mock up of what you would like to see?

(wilBr) #10

hi Ryxx, very usefull addon… if you can add a button to create new camera from view, another for’ view from selected’ and little buttons to switch to front, back, top, bottom, left and right… we can to have all camera work in one window. :smiley:
I does this using ‘stored views’ addon + ‘pie menu editor’ addon… but your would be simpler.

I think that these views don’t belong to camera management. And I don’t want to overload the addon with too many unrelated buttons because I believe its simple design is what makes it efficient for the initial task.

I personnally have a pie menu activated with RMB for these views. It’s really the most efficient way to navigate the viewport. (I ditched the Context Menu of the right click).

These are interesting ideas. I will see if i can code that.

(MatsuikoHiroka) #12

if you would mind , requesting a compatibility for blender 2.79
thank you for this addon

Sorry, but I can’t spend too much time going backwards. I’m not a very good coder, and kind of struggling with what I already try to achieve… Thank you for understanding…

(MatsuikoHiroka) #14

No problem , i just miss this feature when going back in 2.79

(urkokul) #15

The usefull thing. Thanks

UPDATE:
Hey guys! Just to let you know, there has been a small update of the addon (click the github link in the first post).

Cameras%20Lister

Here’s what was improved:

• When you click on the small button with the select arrow, it will select the camera as before but also make it active, as evidenced by the triangle above the camera gizmo becoming full instead of just outlined.
  • New buttons added for Camera Management in the same panel:
    • Camera View On : switch to camera view.
    • Camera View Off : switch to perspective view.
    • View from Selected: switch the view to the selected camera (from the viewport).
    • Align Selected to View: the selected camera will be placed in your view (you don’t have to bother making the camera active before switching to it)
    • New camera from View: Adds a new camera to the scene and places it in your view.
    • Delete Camera: self explanatory. But caution: if you delete an active camera the other buttons might not work until you manually select a camera again.

Now I think the addon is pretty complete in terms of functionalities. In terms of design though, I still think these new buttons are taking too much place… But there is too much words to make them on a single row…
If anyone has suggestions on how I could reduce the upper part, it would be nice. Less words (but still descriptive) may help reduce the button’s size, so I could align 3 button in a row instead of in a column, so it takes less space…

Again, thanks to @Secrop for getting rid of some errors in my code!

(Toudou) #17

Thank you for the updates!
It became much more useful.
This is my sugesstion. Can you change the upper text like this, if you like it?

To: Cam On / Cam Off

(David C B) #18

Awesome, thank you again for this AddOn.

A request for your consideration, would it be possible to make this AddOn available in Blender’s side / ‘N’ panel? Perhaps as part of the ‘Display’ tab which is where the 3D: View 3D Navigation is located. Of course continue to keep the ‘Alt + C’ for those who are more adept at utilizing key commands.

As for a suggestion for consolidating the ‘Camera View On’ and ‘Camera View Off’ buttons. Is it possible to make them into a single button labeled “Toggle Camera View”, or just “Camera View” with the toggling on/off implied?

Of course the aforementioned suggestion of “Cam On” and “Cam Off” also works.

I thought about that, but I’m not really fond of diminutive names when naming functionalities…

The N panel is very crowded, I don’t think this addon would fit in there…

(David C B) #20

I would be lying if I didn’t admit disappointment in having my request rejected, but I understand your reasoning and agree that the N Panel is very crowded.

I kind-of have a love-hate relationship with the N Panel as a user that preferes easy to see buttons over remembering a plethora of keyboard commands. Unfortunately the ease of visual access is often nullified with so many AddOns utilizing the space, often with unique tabs, and no category standardization for supplementary tools.

I see a Right-Click-Select post being written in my near future.

Anyway, I still am a huge fan of the AddOn you created, and am looking forward to watching it evolve. Thank you.