Can I use sculpting mode to smooth out the sharp edges of this tank chassis?

Can I use sculpting mode to smooth out the sharp edges of this tank chassis?

]

Hi LBJ,

You can use sculpting wherever and whenever you choose, provided the the software allows it :slight_smile: I’m not an expert in hardsurface modelling though I’m learning. Also keep in mind a rule that applies always is you can’t sculpt something with little to no geometry, you need enough vertices in that spot. But back to precision and hard surface, from my understanding you want to let the software do as much work for you as possible, and the problem that can arise with sculpting (though in some cases it can work) is the precision because of pressure sensitivity levels especially when using a tablet.
I can say if i were doing this i would use existing edges and spread them out for a rounder/smoother look.

Hope it helps.

Do you want the edges to be slightly rounded, so they aren’t super sharp? If that’s the case, then you definitely want the bevel modifier.

1 Like

You also have Bevel node for cycles in 2.79 nightly builds if you want to experiment with it:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/nodes/types/input/bevel.html

When I bevel the edges, it distorts the surrounding faces and causes unsightly ngons and creases.

Hi LBJ,

Would you be willing to let me see the blend file?
It might be better to add edge loops manually rather than using the bevel tool from which you could then adjust them for your edge smoothness. Are you using the subdivision surface modifier?

1 Like

Here it is.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ansq7V5Mt2BrgR2oCUDwpDXCOFcS

Also, here is a thread further explaining my problem.

Hi LBJ,

CarbonFiber is right. I also took a look and you geometry doesn’t have the foundation to work from to easily achieve the result you’re after. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to fix this as it will take a fair amount of work. I would suggest you study basic topology to understand how to avoid this in the future.

I was going to mention the shrink map modifier as a way to create a plane with high subdivisions to help with getting the new topology but think it may not be the best approach for you at this point.

I am sorry I can’t help anymore than this. But watch some video on topology and you may be able to fix it yourself relatively quickly.

Good Luck!