Can repto in Blender even be self taught?

Please help, i am in repto hell. 20 hours now and tons of tutorials on reptology and i have not made any headway.

Have not seen any tutorial with the particular issues i have which are:

1, My Planes do not lay on top of my mesh they actually sink in a little bit, what is up with my shrink wrap?

ex:

This occurs all over my mesh and there is no way i can get a successful likeable low poly replica of my model like this. I follow the tutorials very methodically and not a mention of this. Can not seem to find others with a similar issue so super lost here.

2, Even with backface calling off i still see the back from the front which then renders my mesh invisible in the parts that are wrapped. Not helpful.

ex:

I think with at least my first issue solved i could actually pull off a successful repto! However i am at the mercy of you guys to help me out. This is the fist case in which googling is failing me.
Its really weird how i seem to be the only one with repto issues like this because in the youtube comments of the tuts i watch i don’t see anyone having problems like i am.

Heck i might give up to just focus on learning python instead, at this rate, i think that might be easier to learn.

Repto is killing animating for me.

Option 1: Go to flippednormals youtube page they have a short tutorial on retopo with vanilla blender. It is possible but you have to get some config right - some secret sauce.

Vanilla blender is not configured for easy retopo so:

Option 2: Buy an addon designed to make retopo easy.

Option 3: Use another application that does have good retopo out of the box: Maya, Modo or Topogun. In the 3D world one ring does not rule them all. Mixing packages is a good strategy.

Try Quad Remesher:

any recommendations for repto addons in blender?

Among the free ones, Retopoflow seems to be rather popular. I couldn’t really warm up to it, but well, try yourself whether you like it or not.

1 Like

I’ve used Instant Meshes with good results.

Ah, didn’t know that this is available as a Blender-addon. But hmm, it seems not to implement the field stroke feature…

I don’t think it’s a Blender addon. I’m pretty sure when I used it I exported my Blender model as obj and imported that into Instant Meshes. I heard about it from Julien deVille, a Blender instructor who has a nature modelling course on Udemy. Used it for retopoing trees.

Learning to box model characters forces you to learn topology.

1 Like

I hate to be that guy, but I’m going to be that guy, if only because it might help you with the statement quoted above.

It’s retopology. Topology is the flow of edges. The process is Re-configuring them. :slight_smile:

I think reptology is the study of reptiles. Might be cool, but not as useful, unless you’re retopologizing a lizard. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I found this one:

I was aware of the standalone tool (which is pretty cool), but a smooth integration into Blender would be really helpful, I guess.

1 Like

I’ve got Instant meshes. I think it is a standalone bit of kit, like you say, you export your model to .obj, use instant mesh and import it back into Blender.

Not sure how well it works, as i haven’t used it for a while.

1 Like

BSurfaces addon for Blender 2.8 is still under development, so you should be aware of the following thread for future updates:

One thing I do with my result afterward is to bring it into Blender and set up a Mirror modifier with the new settings for Bisect on X axis turned on, and once happy I apply it to get my symmetry.

Sounds interesting.

Thanks or sharing!