Can't achieve a good velvet shader

Hi there!

In my work I often have to texture pieces of furniture that are supposed to represent velvet. However, the results I get are not up to my standards. Here is an example (I don’t like the white shader, even more than the black one):

velvet black white small

And I want to achieve this kind of result (the following image was rendered in 3ds Max + Corona):

chair velvet small

Edit: I think this one is an even better example of what I want to achieve. Done by the same artist, 3ds Max + Corona:

velvet 02

Is the texture the piece that is missing or is it something more?

I usually use one of the following methods:

Furthemore, in Blender 4.0 the Velvet node was replaced with the Sheen node, and while they are similar, they aren’t quite the same, and I’m having worse results.

What can I do to improve my velvet results?

1 Like

Hi. This could help

2 Likes

The expression of the material seems to have been mentioned in all the video lectures.

I think the biggest problem that can be considered is the impact of lighting. :thinking:
(I think the lighting of image number 1 is very different from number 2 and 3.)

Or the details could have been crushed by Denoise

The difference in the rendering engine is also the difference in the shader, so it can’t be seen as having no impact at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

※ The previous Velvet BSD is not a node to represent the Velvet itself.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/shader/velvet.html

The Velvet BSDF is used to add reflection to materials such as cloth. It is meant to be used together with other shaders (such as a Diffuse Shader) and is not particularly useful on its own.

Yes, I believe the lighting of my scene could be vastly different from the number 2 and 3…which leads me to another question: what’s the best lighting setup for this kind of scene? The 3 point lighting setup doesn’t seem to work, since I always need a zenital light to flood the floor.

The denoiser might be impacting some details, but I don’t believe that’s the main issue.

When you talk about the rendering engine, do you mean that Corona is inherently better than Cycles?

I never used the Velvet BSDF by its own; I always use it in conjunction with the Principled BSDF.

I don’t do similar work, so it’s hard to give you an exact answer.
Rather than simply using three-point lighting, it would be helpful to find a way to actually photograph the furniture.

In the case of render engines, it doesn’t seem right to evaluate which one is better. I think you should choose a rendering engine with features that are more suitable for your purpose. :thinking:

We don’t know which one is more suitable without testing Corona and the cycles under the same conditions. :slightly_smiling_face:

Add…

See the link, too

1 Like

Hi, if you interest paid material library, you can see VMATS. VMATS has a lot of realistic, physically correct velvet materials.

You’re doing archviz, so I was about to suggest an HDRI outside the window/s, but a quick look at your profile shows you’re familiar. But yeah, great as 3-point lighting is for what it does, you probably want more of an in-use setup for velvet.

if you make a nice velvet material then show us the nodes set up and render result

happy bl

1 Like

You’re right, I have to do some more testing in Cycles.
And thanks for the link!

Indeed. 3-point lighting is a good way to start a lighting setup, but it doesn’t work in all situations.

Thanks for the link; the video is very useful!

I wasn’t aware of such package. Thanks for the info!