Carcassonne Medieval city

Hi @barrymaritime :slight_smile:

Am glad you and your wife like it :smiley:

Yes the ‘tour du tresau’ is as you say ‘spooky’ and in reality it’s really impressive for its strength !

And wait for the inside to be modeled ! arches are even more impressive.
This tower was sold for 250 francs in the 18th cent, to people needing stones for building the Carcassonne new town hospital.
The tower have partially been deconstructed when Eugene Viollet Le Duc started the medieval city restoration in 1862.
You can still see nowadays those stones on the basement of the hospital.
I took a photo some time ago. I can post it here if you want :slight_smile:

I asked @bartv wether or not it’s a good idea to continue post the unity3D WIP here. Even if it’s not BGE, a game engine is a game engine, and what i use/post, even if scripts are in C# could easily be ported to BGE or any other GE and help blender community ^^
This is my humble opinion but am waiting for bart’s one…

Currently am working on spinning staircase exploration helper…

Happy blending !

1 Like

he should feauture your work!

1 Like

hi @dan_wipf :slight_smile:

no he won’t as only finished projects are featured :wink:
But this is very kind of you saying this ! many thaks :smiley:

Have a nice day and happy blending !

1 Like

I removed my original post as might not fit the thread.
I can only say an excellent ‘simulation’ true to life, of a past era and bygone age. Endless versions could be made of different eras as simulations can never be completed as there will always be alerations or adjustments that could be made.Barry

Hi Barry :slight_smile:

No need to censor yourself :wink: if you post something of of topic, i just say it to you :slight_smile:

Thanks anyway for your feedback on the simulation ! It’s always a pleasure to see people liking a long work !
You are right. This cannot be really finished as archaeology, historic and past sciences will always bring new elements of truth through the coming years and decades.
The thing would be to make the simulation evolve with new knowledges, provided it can get money enough for financing the time needed for updates.
Anyway, though we still don’t know all historic looking of Paris in the 18th century, it didn’t prevent ubisoft from making assassin’s creed unity wich is nothing but a pearl visually talking. And i doubt ( even with the hundreds of millions they earned with this ) they’ll upgrade ACU after archaeological discovery in france’s capital :wink:

If you have some few time, i made a tiny demo of what i plan to do in the future:
showing the city at various ages.

stay out of the city and walk around it towards the north ( you right when you start the app ).

near a huge tower ( the one called Notre-Dame barbicane ) youll see a white burried cube.
Climb on it and you’ll see what could look like a time ribbon.
move your mouse one the center, click and look at the Notre-Dame barbicane.

:wink:

This is what it looked like: ruined, in 1850 just before Eugene-Viollet-Le-Duc whole rebuild of the city :slight_smile:

As you can understant, i’ll sow several timepods all around the city, so that visitor can walk along time and finally get back to the city foundation in the 3rd century :slight_smile:

Hope you like it !

Very soon, i’ll post on my website a new version of the sim containing the whole castle, spinning staircase movement helpers and reworked houses and streets so that they don’t look this shitty.

Next step will be a lil promo video seen from an eagle in the airs :smiley:

Thanks a lot to all having interrest in my project. This gives me the energy to go ahead !!!

See you soon and happy blending !

1 Like

Now, for those mighty enough for coming to the ( boring ) unity3D forum, i’ll talk about all next things on my project.

After a talk with @bartv and @Fweeb who are pillars of the BA forum, we decided to push out all that is non blender related out of here.

Therefore, i’ll often link the unity related things ( with questions, ideas, tricks, angers and bliss )in this u3d forum thread:
https://forum.unity.com/threads/carcassonne-medieval-city-vr.612034/#post-5310261

And for those mighty enough, who prefer C# perf and rationnality to python, i invite you on those forums :slight_smile:

Happy blendunitying ! :stuck_out_tongue:

… and see you soon here ^^

1 Like

Thanks for the update.
Would it be possible to put all the various relevant links into one place.
Not sure of the Paris? details you mention.
The threads are growing long. I have a link made to this thread, but losing track of the other links. Many Thanks. Barry

Spinning staircase helper is done and works damn fine !

Now for beeing as close to reality as possible i’m creating districts in a better way than only a flat polygon:

then i’ll texture all roofs with tiles texture.

Hope you like it :slight_smile:
Happy blending

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile:

Back there with some ( too few ) things…

The city districts are slowly growing…

I confesst it’s tedious, long and boring :rage:

I feel like Brendan Perry forced to sing a Lion’s king song :cold_face:

Okay. Am not Perry, and for the song… please lemme hide :rofl:

Step by step, things go forward and there are exciting things ( like trees ) and boring things ( like districts ). All have to be done though ^^

Hope you really damn love it !!! :joy:
( sincerely i wonder how you could :stuck_out_tongue: )

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Trees interesting and districts boring you say. What about cobblestones to the lanes and alleyways. Not sure is you have placed these yet or valid for the era you are creating?.
They help to set the tone and vary in size for variety. All the little things all help to create an ‘atmosphere’ as well as the larger items (at least for myself). B. (smile).

yap i got cobblestones textures.
The boring part i was talking about is the mesh creation of houses and roofs…

As a 1st step, i’ll texture te roofs with roman tiles, leave the walls light-brown/yellowish and leave the pathes in grey, except for the city entrance wich already got cobblestones installed ^^

Happy blending ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some few ( so few ) more news…

districts again… but also the Cathedral.

Though it’s far from the Flamboyant gothic look it will have, it’s just now in place, almost considered like all other districts.
As a 1st step it will only have its roofs textured.

Of course in some time i’ll model it just as it is ^^ a complex architecture part winth LOD handling ( as 20K+ triangles are too high tri count to handle for low end devices.

hope you like it !

happy blending !

1 Like

boring…

2 more districts and a tedious street heights rework… :face_with_head_bandage:

Hopefully on each district, i get closer to the final lane.
I knew this would be long and hard… but i guess it would look not too bad :slight_smile:
Hope you like it !

Happy blending !

1 Like

oh shit !

am sorry to bore you all with those districts things !

But sincerely it helps me keep up the things done ! though the boring work :sleepy:

here’s the latest big district in the medieval city.

Next ones are lil tiny thingies :smiley:

5 are left !!! the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight !!!

keep up walking @pitibonom !!!

happy blending !

4 Likes

Dropped connection.

Hi all :slight_smile:

districts modeling is over for the 1st step. Of course in the future, it will hare to be reworked for more accuracy :wink:

Now it’s time for a simple tiles texture on the roofs ^^

It looks not too bad in unity either :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

awesome! could you add some chimneys to the roofs with smoke? :wink: or is it diffrent in carcasonne around that time?

ahahah :stuck_out_tongue:

i utered this question !

Of course i could !
It’s more time but better look… As is, you noticed the walls are just a simple color. Therefore the chimneas will be.
No doubt they’ll add some relief but in a simple manner. It’s not that much work ( say a whole day for all the city for placing the chimneas where they really are… )

For smoke i’d humbly say that am far from ready.
I can do some easily in blender and in unity but as it is alpha blender prticles/meshes you know they are extremely expensive from GPU sight.

I think some compromise would be a clip/unclipped shader just like the one you use for mtree :wink:
Am not sure though of the result.

In blender, for a static scene render, of course ! i just need scatter/absorb volumes/planes…

No promises, but i’ll try things :stuck_out_tongue:

At last but not least, nowadays, chimneys are not that used… :confused:

maybe 2 or 3 in the city… ?

This is not the case 150 years before !
All people burnt wook even in summer for cooking ^^
Then your idea is kinda mandatory @dan_wipf :stuck_out_tongue:
But this also mean there’s time for finding a way of making smoking chimneys :wink:

Happy blending !

A few days for finishing roofs texturing and making horizon textures…

Here are the latest renders from blender:

Hi have to humbly agree that bumpmaps add some discrete relief on stones :slight_smile:
It simply looks better…

Happy blending !

4 Likes

I put those pics in the finished artwork forum :slight_smile:

Carcassonne Medieval city nowadays

hope i did well ^^

happy blending !

1 Like