Carcassonne Medieval city

ahah :smiley:
this is funny things to do !
In french we call this hourds and google translate gimme hourds or hoarding in english :confused:

it’s this:

I can’t wait and give you a clay render of only the wooden part :wink:

Of course it’s lot of polygons and will burden the runtime but LOD system will help a lot when moving far away from those kind of building :wink:

happy blending !

1 Like

Then here it is, textured & rendered with some sun in 2 points of view:

Next piece is the tower of barracks… I guess you might guess as much as i do why this tower, wearing hourds got this name :stuck_out_tongue:
if you know more about it please tell me :smiley:

Happy blending !

1 Like

quick peek on the WIP of an hoarded tower:

I love those woodworks that give towers a real medieval look, and i can’t wait showing it to you :wink:

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

happy blending !

1 Like

My latest build:

The barracks tower, a hourded tower.
Here are some renders with sun. Keep in mind it’s flat render without any bumpmap or displacement map :confused:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

next is a wall also carrying hoarding.
Though it almost look like the previous wall, it is a bit shorter.

Next piece of architecture is a big one:
The castle main gate.

Happy blending !

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’m back with a new major piece of the castle: The main entrance gate.

Here are some views from blender:

Though it’s inner architecture is quite different, from the outside it really looks like the ‘Narbonnaise city gate’: Carcassonne Medieval city - #6 by pitibonom

And here’s a view from inside unity3D:

Next work: the closing of the eastern wall of the south castle wing, that is close to the castle main gate…

Hope you like it !

Happy blending :slight_smile:

1 Like

i should have posted faster the next piece, but i had to debug some thingies on my rain height clipper
( it was raining inside the buildings :rofl: )

So here it is: a simple ans short wall linking the castle main gate with the Saint-Paul tower ( wich is still to be modeled ).

Happy blending !

1 Like

Here’s an edit mode view of the tower that will close the castle walls :slight_smile:

Hope you like it :smiley:

Next post is for a textures render :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Champain !!! :champagne:

this is THE tower !
The one that closes the castle wall and also the southern courtyard.
It’s a quite simple tower almost the same as the tower of the major: Carcassonne Medieval city - #180 by pitibonom

a 4 levels tower with a spinning staircase ( i messed up this later with the remove doubles and a wrong value, and then had to redo all of it by hand :rage: )

here are 2 blender renders:

view from unity coming very soon, and next part is the main castle western wing a big building in the honor courtyard :smiley:

happy blending !

EDIT: here’s the unity view of the southern courtyard now closed by the Saint-Paul tower :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just dressed the Honor courtyard with its platforms and base generic trees in unity…

Just for fun lemme show you the unity view and the google-map view.
NOTE THAT FOR THE GOOGLE MAP VIEW I DO NOT OWN THE PICTURE NOR THE IN SITE SHOT; THIS IS JUST A SCREENSHOT OF GOOGLE STREET VIEW USED AS AN EXAMPLE !

google —>

unity —>

of course, event if cam positions are somewhat similar, projection factors are not the same as googgool projects on a sphere, when i project on a plane.
Anyway, we can notice some obvious differences ^^

any comment ? ( i hope so :stuck_out_tongue: )

Happy blending !

2 Likes

well googles tower is under construction :crazy_face:

well done! amazing job you do here! it’s one of my favourite cities, castels! so thumbs up for that!

1 Like

thanks a lot @dan_wipf :smiley:

1 Like

Latest part of the castle itself: The western wing.

a blender render:

And the same one in unity:

Next part is the bridge allowing to access the castle inner courtyard through the main entrance…

Happy blending !

1 Like

The main Bridge…

Allowing the access from the Castle barbicane to the inner castle courtyard through the main gate.
a lil ( shitty ) cycles render ?

LOL !!! fireflies are in scene !
Cycles is a real big shit ! but it’s progress !!! :rofl:
Hopefully shit don’t happens in unity :slight_smile: ( some other happen anyway :stuck_out_tongue: )

Next and LAST piece is the big castle barbinane !

simple for its architecture but tough to medel as angles, heights, and dimentions are uncommon…

Happy blending !

1 Like

Some quick clay render of the finished model of the castle main barbicane:

2500 triangles… it suits my needs :smiley:
now it’s time for texturing…

hope you like it :slight_smile:

happy blending !

1 Like

A little peek in the how-tos for this very big barbicane.

The barbicane’s gate leads to a circular place that is 45 meters diameter. It’s a very wide place with a ground pavement made of cobblestones.
Of course i could make it from a huge texture ( say at least 4K for acceptable, though too low details ) but i gonna try anotrher way.
It is explained here: Special unwrapping problem

I want to use this map:

for mapping the entire place…
Of course we’ll see repeats on the ground but i’ll make changes ( as there are in real city ) and will use dirtmaps to break the repetition…

Here are some steps of the thing beeing done:

make a divided plane. each of its square has the same UV !!!
and extrude the place you want to fill with those squares.

Knife cut the thing and delete useless parts:

then move the perfectly cut thing in place…

and enjoy the result:

The ugly lines you see are due to the normalmaps that are not leaked around the texture.

Here’s for fun the UV view :smiley:

( please move non of those verts as you’ll never be able to put them in place again :rofl:

Here it is. i hope i can make all this nicer ! That’s what am trying to do this evening :wink:

Hope you like it !

happy blending :slight_smile:

Here we are :slight_smile:

The render result of the castle barbicane:

Am not totally happy of the result but this will do the trick for now and allow me to start editing the medieval city streets :slight_smile:

Hope you like it :smiley:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile:

It’s now 4 days since my last post.
Nah the project is not over ( far from beeing ). I made some few renders that i want to share at first.
Here they are, and you also can find them on artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VdWQa5

hope you like it :slight_smile:
Note that the beautifull trees come from the awesome @dan_wipf unity3D mTree plugin that is exported ( mesh & textures ) to Blender. Even in Blender, the result is just perfect !!!

Next steps for the project ask i essentially work on unity: scripts, occlusions, GUI, etc… I’m not sure wether it’s a good idea to continue the U3D WIP here as it’s a blender forum, even if what i have to do is a mandatory part of the project in wich blender is another big one.
I know it wouldn’t be a problem that ubisoft post here about anvil devs, provided the models come from blender, but… for carcassonne it’s another story :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway i think i’ll go on with the project wip here until i get kicked-out :wink:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

Nice work in progress of a mediaeval simulation (smile) B

2 Likes

Went to the art station for an animated tour
so would add mediaval simulation with game element.
i.e wip, instructive and game element eventually?
Wife liked it and tour du tresau a bit ‘spooky’ rain, fireworks and much more.
Barry

2 Likes