Carcassonne Medieval city

Thanks @dan_wipf !
i’m really glad you like it :slight_smile:
don’t hesitate to share it on your networks if you feel like :wink:

@barrymaritime
okay thanks for your info :slight_smile: i was frightened this warning came from my app :wink:

have a nice sunday and happy blending !

1 Like

hi all :slight_smile:

After some days of struggle trying to make the app running on a linux over vmware ( and having found the tricky solution ), i’ll be back on blender for modeling the inner rooms of the medieval city castle.

A somewhat complicated work with lots of things to do…

I’ll be back soon with some pictures :slight_smile:

See you soon and happy blending !

2 Likes

Browsing internet and it shows river fairly near to Carcassone, maybe a few miles. Would any use be made of the river centuries ago by Carcassone for supplies? Considering changing my routes to worldwide, my reason for asking. B

1 Like

Oh for sure !!!

This river is called the Aude ( pronounce ‘owd’ ).

Carcassonne was formerly a roman camp based some few miles to the SE ( on a high hill ) from the medieval city. Then on the place of the medieval city, a roman prefect built his villa ( at the place the ancient castle chapel took place ).
From there houses came around this rich villa for buziness… the houses pack made of handworkers for wealthy people had to be protected.
This is how in very short, the medieval fortified city raised from earth.

Later, france armies needed a much convenient place for their establishment. This was the birth of the lower young city of carcassonne. it was past the Aude river from the medieval city.

No doubt this rivers was used for thansporting goods, weapons or even troups, as this river leads to mediterranea sea:

I don’t know it’s history but i guess it has a big one as many others during the roman conquests and even later ^^

happy blending !!!

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Coastlines keep altering Carcassone about 50 miles from the sea. B

Hi all :slight_smile:

For those interrested in playing 3D over linux, i just created the Carcassonne 3D application for linux :smiley:
download the rar on http://kleioscope.fr/carcassonne.html unrar it somewhere in your home folder and simply run it…

Have a nice visit and happy blending !

2 Likes

All quiet and the night watchman is patrolling the city walls and reports no wolves have entered through the city gates. (smile).
Barry

2 Likes

i guess the creator is still lonely on watching the people inside the citadel

1 Like

reply to both of you :slight_smile: yes i’m lonely… and no… no wolves at the horizon…

This means we still have time for working, enhancing, perfecting the thing…
Before i rushed to the medieval city ( for this whole week ) i was playing with lightmaps for night…

Okay i think i said too much… and this won’t please blender/bge/upbge/pizzabge afficionados, as it’s only a gimp/U3D work… but here is a small shot :stuck_out_tongue:

Close map is not yet lit… In fact it is but the result is this shitty that i don’t wanna show it yet.
The city is not lit yet, though it should be…
This latest part will need lots of work in blender !!! ( ahahah i’ll spam the BA forum with this :stuck_out_tongue: )
but i think it will look not bad :slight_smile: and of course all this runs on win but also android platforms ( and others except webgl that i now simply boycott :stuck_out_tongue: )

Happy blending !

1 Like

I have to finish streets night lights before i go further on the project.
Here’s my night street lights way in blender:

With this, i’ll bake a lightmap that will be added to the main ground texture for close map…

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

happy blending !

2 Likes

Tiptoeing here to show the visual result in unity…

Hope you like it :wink:

EDIT: the city walls and towers and not yet lit…
Of course in real life, they are and in the Kleioscope they will also be lit. It’s a lightmap work that i’ll do
in the coming months. For now i leave it as is…
This will be a big blender bake moment… and be sure i’ll post it here :wink:

Happy blending !

3 Likes

some small news here as it’s been 3 days there are none…
Simply my current main occupation is on U3D…

• Ini file system for setup recording ( working on all platforms LIN, WIN, DROID )
  • rain scene coherency ( grey sky, no sun flares, shadows, ambient light,… )
  • night time colors/lights balance
  • NUX & DROID rain clipper debugging ( hehe just because they don’t use the same Z-buf domain as windows does… or the versus :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • Noticia behaviour change ( even if she have nothing to show yet ^^ )

many small things that take lot of time ^^

screenshot ?
errr… it’s only from U3D…

hmmm… small inconsistency: I guess those people should run from this heavy rain… or at least should have an umbrella :confused:

Soon !!!
I promise soon i be back with some blender work ! I got a lot to do !
Castle and towers interiors will need tens/hundreds hours of work…

The latest version of the app ( for win, droid, nux platforms ) will be up tomorrow :slight_smile:

Please if you got some few time, just give it a test on your prefered platform !
Oh and if some of you got an IOS or apple device, i’d really be pleased and honored to compile a version for tests on this platform ^^

Happy blending :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back there just to say am not dead :joy:

The virus did not catch me yet :stuck_out_tongue:
but a bug did !
A blender/cycles bug.
Since now almost one week am fighting against texture baking for inner castle rooms and it was a nightmare.
See the topic here:

And as noone was able to help me, i had to find a workaround by myself.
but as you can see on the later post, i now got the right way of doing things :smiley:

I can now go on with the castle rooms growth :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Hey all :slight_smile:

Back there after a long fight with light/dirtmap baking…

As you know i’m making interiors… inner rooms…
They all have different lighting based on their exposition and wall openings…

I started with the moke-up room. A room hosting an amazing moke-up of the medieval city that took 40 years to be made ( i’m glad i use vectirs and textures ! :joy:
This wonderfull piece of work really deserves as itself the visit of the city.
Here’s a view ( sorry i’m a crappy filmer… ) of the beast:

And here’s the room seen from U3D. Unfortunately i didn’t include the moke-up yet…

I’m not totally satisfied with the light coming from windows but for now i cannot do better as light propagation in blender is really shitty :confused:

This will have to be reworked in the future…

Here are just some shots from U3D of the Pinte tower, the highest tower in the city:

All those come from the inner rooms lightmaps rework…
They’re not yet in the apps on kleioscope.fr/carcassonne.html
win and nux app are freely downloadable and if you want the droid version just send me an PM :stuck_out_tongue:

hope you like all these :wink:

Next part is the discovery of the new @dan_wipf mTree shaders…
I’ll keep you informed here, and next are new inner rooms and a language system ( so that the app speaks french, english, spanish, errr… chinese ??? :joy: i wish it would :stuck_out_tongue: )

happy blending !

1 Like

Some little news…

Since 3 days i’m desperately trying to reinstall my OS on an NVME drive…

Finally this works :smiley:

I’ll be back soon !

happy blending !

1 Like

Finally back there with some new inner rooms of the castle south wing:

Hope you like it :smiley:

next one will be the room over this one :wink:

happy blending !

2 Likes

and here’s a quick render of this room ( in fact made of 2 levels ) of the castle main staircase.

It’s a masterpiece of carpentry and at the level of the whole city: beautifull and unique !

Now some roofs elements and windows have to be made and next step is texturing… :cold_face:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

back there with some news… 6 days later…

baking takes ages… like 12h for a 1024x1024 texture :frowning:

here are 2 screenshots of scene in U3D :

Next is the cinema room :slight_smile:

happy blending !

2 Likes

Here’s an HR blender clay render of the whole city.
You have a sumup of all renders on https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VdWQa5

Am still working on inner castle rooms.
I’ll post some views here soon :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Back there with a new room:

This room nowadays contains a wide screen for showing a video of the medieval city history :slight_smile:

I opened the windows and let light come in …

hope you like it !

As you can see, i’m still struggling with interior lighting :confused:
I wonder how those who do beautifull and luminous interiors do their so homogeneous pictures, speaking about light…

Happy blending !

2 Likes