CCM Motorcycle concept images #vehicles

vehicles

These images are from a project I recently completed for CCM Motorcycles in the UK.
The model is called Heritage and has just been launched at Motorcycle Live show at the NEC.

I created these details after the project was complete to explore some more of the details of the design:

Wheel detail

Wheel detail

Oil filler detail - I remade the carbon fiber 3 times. Complicated stuff when you point a light at it.
I managed to score a trip to the Monaco Boat Show this year… I took photos of the many excellent examples of molded carbon fiber.

Front detail

Tank

I used linked Collections to keep the model up to date in all the images. I used scenes within a single blend file to setup all the shots. While it was nice to have everything together and easily accessible, there were some issues with the linked asset jumping around in different scenes. More learning required on how linked assets should be used properly.

Screen grab of the model and a lighting setup:

I was really impressed with the stability of the beta versions of 3.0… I upgraded as soon as I possibly could. I have a workstation with x2 AMD Radeon Pro W6800 GPUs. The HIP integration is really solid. NO compilation time at all when I press render.

Here are the main product shots:

This was a relight after I’d completed the project. I used so many light on the other images, I decided to limit myself to 6 lights including bounce boards. A challenge but very worthwhile.

I decided to do the compositing in the same file as everything else. Big mistake! I will now always use a separate blend file to comp my shots. The problem is, if you need to come back and make a tweak in comp after the file has been closes… you need to regenerate the render. Anyway, lesson leaned. I am VERY excited about the development that I have seen on the compositor. I think it has great potential. Cryptomatte works really well. I’d like to see an addon that combines a lot of the node linking though. The Vray 5 frame buffer, although layer based, has a fantastic workflow for using masks and adjustments.

Witness the light frenzy… must try harder :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading. Get in touch if you want to chat about any of this. I love talking to people who are passionate about creating stuff.

22 Likes

Awesome work mate. Nice to see your workflow.

2 Likes

One of the best automotive related (are motorcycles part of the automotive industry?:thinking:) work I have ever seen in this forum.

1 Like

Is the oil filter pic a photo or a render? In case can you post a screenshot of the wireframe?

1 Like

Waw! That’s a huge compliment! Thanks.

It’s a render. I’ll get a screen grab :slight_smile:

1 Like

absolutely incredible, i thought they were just pictures at first, i love the materials, I have tried making a motorbike, and the never could get the materials quite right, but you absolutely nailed it :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow! Two of my favourite subjects, bikes and 3D art. Did you use CAD data for the bike or model it yourself? I saw these at the bike show last week, great looking bike and gear work on the renders!

1 Like

:+1:
Great work, congrats.

1 Like

Incredible work. :metal:t2:

1 Like

Really great work! also appreciate the honesty in detailing the struggles to achieve your renders. Clearly put a lot of effort into it.

Have you ever tried the HDR Light Studio app that works across all 3D programs? if not you should check it out, it’s made for work like this and it’s not expensive. You can create custom light maps in realtime within Blender.

1 Like

Wow, very nice looking… great detail… I’m learning and would love to get this good some day

1 Like

Hi Chris.
Thanks!! Yes, I’ve tried it but I struggled with the concept of not being able to move light in 3d… If that makes sense. I imagine it’s something that would come with some development time. Love the idea of it.

Thanks for the kind comment. If you’re looking for any advice, I would say collect photographic references. Photography that makes you go ‘fwwooorrrrrrr’. Then you have a finish line or something to aim for. Hope to see some of your work on the forum :relaxed:

thank you … I’ve been working on cars and I get images to use when modeling them… Don’t think I’m good enough to post anything yet… I enjoy working on them and generally work around 6 hours a day
Have a wonderful day

1 Like

Yes, it was CAD data from SolidWorks. I added details like frame welds in Blender. I saw it at the NEC show today. Really great looking bike.

1 Like