• Broccolium
  • object
  • md2000
  • Tachtian
  • Isengard42
  • Trentle
  • RobUnderwood

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Jun 21, 2023 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:

Pure Entries

fcharr: Fire Bloom

3xd.ash: Island Apocalypse

Adedamola_richard: Super hot

Manou: Fireplace

Broccolium: Nuclear Ember

object: Incineration

md2000: Campfire

Tachtian: Fire golem

Isengard42: isengard42-ember

Open Entries

Trentle: Waybound

(Open- Hand is a downloaded mesh that I posed and sculpted extra details onto.
This is my rushed entry based on the Cradle series by Will Wight. Hands are Hard.)

RobUnderwood: Cozy Fireplace

(OPEN. I did all of the modeling, but the textures are from Blenderkit. I actually made little raindrops to stick to the windows, but I couldn’t figure out how to get them to show up.)

Non-competing Entries

Helge: Firestarter

Alex_Vainboim: Inside out

so what are the rules for weekend challenges? i know this one is closed for entries but what are the rules for “pure” or “open entry”? its there a rules post somewhere?

Top of every entries post

Originally pure was you made it in blender, and open was you used some blender along with other software like photoshop. At the moment pure is you made if from scratch using blender, and open is you still used blender but you used some previously made assets, so it wasn’t really from scratch.

(Edit: i missed the other reply with the rules, i think i mostly understand now. thanks.) sorry im still a little confused. so… if i make a texture in photoshop from my own art or photo then use crazybump to generate maps then throw that onto a model i made in blender but i did all of it from scratch myself where would that fall? or if i make everything myself in blender but then export to unreal to set up a scene and render? the first scenario is something i do already, and moving things to unreal after creation is something i have been planning to do if i can figure it out because it can handle crazy amounts of stuff in real time. (eevee just always comes out looking weird to me so i usually stick with cycles which is slow but i just started messing with unreal5 playing around with megascans and was absolutely blown away. putting 1/2 a million high poly assets with no LoD into a scene and still running real time is pretty powerful.) im new here, and saw the weekly challenge thing and thought i might want to participate but i dont want to misrepresent my art or cheat or anything.

oh, thanks not sure how i missed this. i guess most of what i do would be considered pure. not sure if making things in blender then exporting to unreal for rendering large scenes would be acceptable here but if so i guess it wouldnt be pure even if i made everything from scratch in blender?

Actually, it depends on the details.

From the rules : 'If you can honestly say to yourself,

- “Yes, I mainly used Blender to make this.”
- “Yes, nearly all of the foreground models are new.”
- “Yes, most of the models are new.”

then the entry is Pure.’

I think, this definition works fine in most cases.

Regarding textures: Most of the time, using textures is fine. Depending on the project it might be fair to consider extreme cases open entries. However, I still think that usually textures shouldn’t have a large impact on the pure/open categorization. Of course, there might be cases where textures are used in a rather unfair way. E.g. mapping a photo on a plane and calling it a pure entry.

Regarding rendering in Unreal: I think, I’d personally call it open, as this would probably have quite an impact on the final rendering as well as the overall workflow.

As a rule of thumb: If you would feel bad if you won this round and called it pure, then you should probably switch to open. :wink:

Generally: There is nothing wrong with entering open entries. Many great entries have been open in the past. (And many of these have won the challenge.) In the end, it doesn’t really matter all that much.

3 Likes

yes if i were rendering in unreal i would consider that open, i just wasnt sure if it were allowed at all. but mainly i do all my own modeling and texturing. thanks for the info!

1 Like

I think the new Discourse update may have reset multi-votes :thinking:

I had voted for 3 entries, but my vote was reset to only 1 entry this morning.

1 Like

That would be weird, but stranger things have happened :thinking:
In my web development career, I’ve learned the answer to “is that really possible?” is almost always :person_shrugging: :wink:

2 Likes

This morning I had the feeling that the results changed quite a bit within minutes. But I couldn’t really put my finger on it. I voted for one entry so I can’t be sure.

For now, I’d recommend everyone to check if all their votes are still in the game. (And re-vote if anything seems to have changed.)

2 Likes

My votes were also reduced to one. :frowning:

However, I reconstructed the numbers of around 1:00am CEST (europe) from my home PC:

3xd.ash lost a few positions. But it probably doesn’t change the pole position.

2 Likes

Nice! Who would have thought that we had our own private archive.org? :slight_smile:

1 Like

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 1043 with votes from 32.1% of the voters is… object!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Incineration

2 Likes

me too, I made 3 choices, but they were later reduced to only 1.

Maybe the server was infested with moths…

Anyways, here comes the new entry thread: