Challenge #1050 "Imaginary Friends" (04/08/23) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1050 for Friday 4th of August 2023 is:

Imaginary Friends

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Aug 7, 2023 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Friends
grafik
pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I suddenly began to giggle when we all read the title of this challenge.

2 Likes

Thursday already, week went by so fast.

Would it be considered offensive if i submitted religious deities?

1 Like

Title: No hear, no see

Pure

8 Likes

Can my imaginary friends vote in the challenge poll?

3 Likes

I think, given the theme of the challenge, this could be perceived as in poor taste, but there’s no explicit rule against it. I guess it depends on if you would find it disrespectful if you were on the other side of the equation :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m guessing GrimZA might just be referencing the quote: “If one person has an imaginary friend, they’re crazy; if many people have the same imaginary friend, it’s religion”, by Iraniya Naynesh.

6 Likes

This isn’t really the place to get into this, but let me just add that I think that quote could also be considered in poor taste, and I would once again encourage people to apply that quote to their own deeply held personal beliefs and see if it feels respectful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fair enough.

I would argue that all friends are imagined to a certain degree: Ranging from politicians, bosses to people that don’t actually exist. I will even argue that our actual friends are less friendly than we imagine.

As for our deities, since we don’t have physical manifestations of them, they exist only in our imagination. Although logically our gods are clearly imagined, I will argue that they are not always our friends: Even among people who believe there will be those who will be told that their friendship with any deity is purely imaginary.

2 Likes

How very profound. Have you been at the wacky backy? :smile:

1 Like

A Game With a Friend!

Pure, non-competing.

11 Likes

Who is the imaginary one? another version of “a game with a friend!”

Pure

8 Likes

be sure to let @Helge know which you want to enter for the challenge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This one is for the challenge.

1 Like

Holy constructivism, batman!
…But you are probably right. :slight_smile:

Of course they can! It will be imaginary votes, though. :wink:

I’m sure that it would be quite easy to create an entry that would be considered offensive by some. Finding a way of making it non offensive would probably be the real challenge in this case.

1 Like

Title : Sleeping buddy

Pure.

I used the following tutorials to learn how to make the carpet and wood textures :slight_smile:
JRoss3d ‘household carpet material’ & Smeaf ‘Natural wood material in under 2 minutes’.

This is my very first entry, I hope the format is OK ! Started Blender a few months ago and loving every minute :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Looks great. Keep it up!

1 Like

I actually had an idea that might fit in that category, though i have neither the time nor skill to create it.

Picture this, it start at the bottom with 3 kids of different ethnicity surrounded by their imaginary friends, then a step higher they are teens surrounded by imaginary beings from their culture (santa clause, easter bunny, tooth fairy,etc). A step higher and they are young adults surrounded by their religious deities. And then the final step at the top they stand alone but with their arms around each others backs symbolizing that they have become friends.

They interact and face the beings surrounding them at various ages, you cannot tell who and at what age the beings are interacting with them. It is only at the top that it is clear they are no longer interacting with the beings.

The title would be: “The friends we made along the way”

Anyway, my original comment wasn’t really meant to be a diss at religious deities. My birthday was earlier this week and i received a lot of sweets, sugar makes me super hyperactive and throws my hormones out of wack so i tend to stay away from it, unfortunately i can’t just let the sweets go to waste so i devoured most of them.

Hopefully i will be back to my apathetic self next week.

5 Likes

Wilson

7 Likes