Challenge #1052 "Welcome to the Uncanny Valley" (18/08/23) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1052 for Friday 18th of August 2023 is:

Welcome to the Uncanny Valley

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Aug 21, 2023 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Welcome to Mars

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just in case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

4 Likes

But everybody votes for the nicest render!
So you have to change the voting system for it and the one with the lowest votes should win. :smiley:

4 Likes

I figure people would vote for the one which most fits into the Uncanny Valley. The feeling of repulsion or creepiness.
But yes, you’re right. Most will probably vote for the most eye-pleasing image.

2 Likes

hehe, while i get your point, i know when i vote i heavily weigh theme first. so if you do a most beautiful archviz of a home in the forest, and the theme is bowling ball, i’ll vote for the okayish render of a bowling ball over the home. :slight_smile: that said, i do favor unusual takes on the theme, as long as it’s still “getable” (perhaps a ballroom dance of bowling balls? etc)

4 Likes

Then that’s the challenge! Can you make a scene that’s visually appealing and professionally constructed, yet uncanny at the same time?

6 Likes

(Non Competing)

I made this yesterday cuz I was bored. Do you guys think liminal spaces fit the theme?

4 Likes

Dang I was thinking this would involve an actual valley, as in between two mountains. When I look up uncanny valley I get lots of pictures of human faces, or more like resembling human faces. I wonder, should I just go with the geographical interpretation? after all, the welcome to part seems to imply a location.

This kind of explains why my character art gets consistent downvotes on imgur. I can just resubmit some old entry :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Near-realism and mixes of realism and surrealism most often cause the eerie sensation. The effect is intensified if the simulation is moving.

1 Like

I used, “Welcome to” because of the other meaning of “valley”. It sounds like a place. A tourist attraction. Instead of the literal meaning of the sudden dip in visual comfort, it could be a place where all the “not-quite-right” characters live, or a valley where everything is not quite right.

3 Likes

The challenge this time is kinda tricky though! I was thinking about the real mountain, valley and stuffs, but I was wrong :crazy_face:

2 Likes

A challenge should be challenging! :grinning:

2 Likes

What timing. My wife was just asking me about the Uncanny Valley yesterday and if it’s real. I told her it’s as real as you want it to be.

3 Likes

Another Attempted Portrait

Open entry blender 3.6 cycles, as the base model was taken from https://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/My-New-Spectacles-Are-Kind-of-Weird.Shades-of-Green.html. After finding out the true meaning of the topic, I considered staying the course on my initial interpretation. However, after considering the difficulty of such an endeavor and how the topic reflects some of my entries, I changed my mind. So, here it is, my contribution to internet cringe, despite my good intentions. And yes, my entry is kind of meta.

7 Likes

Doll head

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

I think these old baby dolls are some of the creepiest things I ever held in my hand. Who thought it was a good idea to give them to children?

9 Likes

Title: Night time poison

Pure

5 Likes

Headless
No entry, cycles 1024 samples, optix denoised, all made in blender, i used a head from https://free3d.com/3d-model/femalehead-v4--971578.html as base and remeshed an cutted from there.

uncanny6.blend (1.2 MB)

10 Likes

My (geographical) interpretation of an uncanny valley.

“Life in a capsule”

non-competing, pure, Cycles

11 Likes

Hi all :slight_smile:
I also went for a more literal approach. Title: Is there a valley at all?

Pure, Cycles, Blender 3.6

9 Likes