• str11
  • fcharr
  • Helge
  • F.Collioud
  • FlyingBanana
  • beau11
  • joshwinkler3d

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Oct 3, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

[ If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile: ]

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20181004-wc

Pure Entries

Uthu: Surveilance

purbosky: Maiden Flight

Ansaar13: Flight of Bricks

DM9: Over the rainbow

atekdigital: Lets Fly

MadeWithFeet: Acrobatic Suzy

GIPeN: Aviaition in the plane

fdo: Spad XIII

FortuneB: WW1

nule: Learning To Fly

UserGreat: Hangar and one jet in the forest.

Millani: 14-bis

str11: The Caspian Sea Monster

fcharr: Brave New World

Helge: 69°16′S, 158°47′E (Aviation Islands)

Open Entries

F.Collioud: clip

(I made the plane model a few weeks back to test the HardOps addon. The backgound uses adaptative subdivision and diplacement maps. I used photoshop to add the jet distortion behind the planes.)

FlyingBanana: Flight Of The Beetle

(Open entry (due to textures and HDRI) calling it…)

beau11: Flight of the Horseman

(Open due to grass essentials)

joshwinkler3d: Spitfire

(Open (due to background use as part of the image))

Non-competing Entries

RobertT: MARTIAN SANDSTORM-R

OLG: Post Card from a Bygone Era

1 Like

Had something going, but wasnt happy with it. Decided not to participate. I love atekdigital’s entry! You got my vote.

Nice modeling all!

Completely spectacular entries from all the artists. Toughest time trying to figure out who to vote for. I wish I could vote for everyone. They were all really, really good.

@DM9, awesome entry and thank you for showing us how you created that wonderful piece of artwork.

I don’t know if the voting software supports it, but I like using Approval Voting for things like this. Then you can vote for as many as you enjoy. Each week I see a number that definitely deserve votes but don’t get any because there’s one entry that’s spectacular. It wouldn’t change the outcome very often in this case, but would give more people recognition.

Apparently discourse allows multiple choice polls with a min and max @Helge

Something like this @nule @olg @Helge

(I put a max of 2 as I only used 3 entries, but it can be increased)

1 Like

I would love this!! And also @UserGreat got my vote. It looked like a lot of effort went into it!

1 Like

Default polls don’t really like headings and line breaks so pure and open could be marked like this?

0 voters

Non-competing

OLG : Post Card from a Bygone Era

So many great entries this week! Really enjoyed looking through them all! @DM9, I think you really came along and stole the show though! Thanks for showing us the way you made it! You have my vote!

I really like this, even beyond being able to make multiple votes, because it’s easier to see which entry lines up with which image. I’m relatively the new person, though, so I don’t want to sound as if I’m complaining or there’s anything wrong with the existing system.

I like where the images are too, makes it easier - however, to open a larger image you can’t click on the image. Instead you have to click on the blue link.

@DM9 looks like we will get extra time again :smiley:

@str11 An ekranoplan I see you have made! Those things are weird.

In what sense?

It’s shape is so unique, even though it has similar features to a plane with wing positioning, the 8 engines and missile launchers attached to a waterproof body make it different.
Plus, most people haven’t heard of it, let alone seen one.

Yeah, after seeing these entries I feel like a total blender newbie LOL Awesome entries everyone! Guess it is back to the advanced donut tutorial for me for a few months.

2 Likes

You’re meaning that need some improvements with proportions of the engines and missile launcher?
What do you think about materials?

I’m sure @unyxium is talking about the general design of the actual aircraft. Your model is great, but the monster must have been a scary sight in real life. :wink:

1 Like

It does! And I have been thinking about it, too. It probably wouldn’t hurt the voting process and maybe could help to alleviate the pain of having to choose between two or more equally liked entries.

We could give this a try in one of the next challenges. How does everybody feel about this? I’d like to hear a few opinions. :slight_smile:

I have been experimenting with this, as it is something that wasn’t possible with the old system and could be an advantage of discourse. However, so far, I didn’t have the time to check it out in detail and to solve a few problems:

• I think the images need to keep the zoom option. If that isn’t possible I’d rather stay with the old layout as (sadly) the click/zoom rate is already very low and high detail entries suffer from that. (Just ask @RobertT about it.)

• I’ve had issues with images being cut off if they were to big/wide.

• I’d have do adjust some scripts, which currently expect the posts to be in a certain format. (But that’s a rather minor issue - I just have to find the time for it.)

I wouldn’t mind giving it a go next time :slight_smile:

RE: Images

• Zoom doesn’t work for me anyway, the images instead work as an image link. Is a lightbox supposed to open? I’d probably click through more images if so.

• When I made the test polls, the size was set in the code accompanying the image so size shouldn’t be a problem.

• Your script was something I thought would be most effected by the changes, hope it’s not too much of a bother.