Challenge #798 (05/10/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #798 for Friday 5th of October 2018 is:

Bionic

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Oct 9, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Oct 8, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles))

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a cool theme. Here is a song to set up the mood for the weekend :smiley:

2 Likes

Let´s start this off, here is my non competing entry >>> “Bionic Bug”
Pure modeled & rendered in BforArtists, postwork in Affinity photo.

11 Likes

Open Entry (eye texture image used) all the rest is modeled from scratch no HDRI. Rendered at 1000 samples

Calling this one…

“Bob’s Bionic Eye Repair”

7 Likes

Who would have thought, that, in the end, transhumanism would turn into a musical genre. I guess, I completely misjudged Roko’s basilisk. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was blocking out a tortoise, my 9 year old nephew came in and now it glows in the dark :smiley:

This tortoise’s name is Bio-Nick

3 Likes

Catchy name. ^^

2 Likes

First pass at trex/bird/mecha foot. ~45 minutes.
#ignore. I think I might put a bunch of people (small) working on it, to give it a larger scale.

6 Likes

nice. did you use sculpt?

yes, dyntopo. I don’t know if I’ll retopo. Started at a detail level of 12 px, and am currently on 2.

Working on something, not sure where to go with it tough. :slight_smile:

So far;

3 Likes

This is what I´m working on, some kind of alien-bionic flower. So far I’ve been working on the main forms and composition. Now I need to work on the materials and adjust the lighting a bit. Also I’m thinking about making the water inside more like some kind of glowing fluid. NOt sure though.

Any and all advice/comments/criticisms welcome

5 Likes

Pretty cool so far, I like the idea of the glowing liquid, or maybe just some lit tentacles of some sort inside the liquid. - I personally would change the color of the background grass to something more alien (maybe black with some orange or glowing tips for more contrast). But that depends on the story, if the picture is “taken” on an alien planet or if it is alien flowers that are found on earth?
Design wise the edges of the petals could be a bit more interesting, they are very smooth now. The cell structure could show more there, resulting in a jagged edge, or have some tentacle sensor hairs coming out of those holes on the side here and there? - Just some ideas. :wink:

The best part of this model is you will never see any of the detail when I throw it into the scene. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Non-competing

Robocop Future Past

Cycles, 3000 samples, filmic, HDRI lighting, MB Lab, Paintshop Pro for compositing.

Fan Art Robocop poster. This was a lot of fun to make. More of a cyborg than bionic man but I believe still inside the envelope.

Three renders with background head shot, robocop top half (no legs on this guy), and robocop font. Composited with Paintshop Pro with blur effect on background.

New gun for my collection. It is now a cnc model as well. :smiley:

9 Likes

The One Million Dollar Man

Pure entry, 1000 samples. Anyone think it’s funny?

5 Likes

Hive Queen

Pure entry. Cycles 512 samples, procedural textures only, compositing in Blender.

Character is self modeled from scratch so please pardon some anatomy inaccuracies. Actually want to make something that looks cool, but now that I see it again it looks kinda cute like a metal bunny queen, lol… #failed

10 Likes

Nice pun there! :laughing:

2 Likes

#ignore
update on foot shader: I vertex painted the dyntopo triangles for a reddish sub-dermal, retopo-ed and sculpted more and painted a uv map for outer dermis (stripes) and then added actual modeled scales with a lot of translucency and transparency to give a deeper, layered, organic look to the material.

It need something else in the scene, but I’m not sure what. I was thinking about making sticky goo everywhere.

It’s a all new stuff, but it will be Non-competing. (when it’s finished)

4 Likes

Bakterionik

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, used only procedural textures.

I read today an article on Nature about bionic algae that deliver drugs, which was quite convenient (it has a pretty picture in case you don’t care about the science-stuff).

The title is a mix of the German words Bakterie and Bionik, since, you know, words are cooler with k’s on them :sunglasses:

Old:

12 Likes