Challenge #801 (26/10/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #801 for Friday 26th of October 2018 is:

circus

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Oct 29, 2018 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Going with a flea circus. Sand is manually created grains and grouped for a particle system.

Pure Entry 1000 samples and Filmic used.
Calling this one.

“The Great Flea Flicker Circus”
Just FYI there are fleas in action so best seen at full size image.

5 Likes

Little Top

Pure

I ran out of time since I spent most of today making a birthday cake. The scaling is a bit off, gives an almost tilt-shift focus - hence the name :slight_smile:

[OLD]

Good start @FlyingBanana

This is an extremely low quality pre-vis that took 4 minutes to render - I wonder if I’ll need the weekend just to render :slight_smile:

Plus, this is the second mouse this year that I’ve had the middle mouse click practically give up on me.

5 Likes

Decided to try EEVEE for this one.

“The Greatest show on earth”

Open (Eevee)

I had a cannon with a BANG flag and bowling pins that I wanted to add but 2.8 started glitching. If I added a new object the volumetrics would stop working and for some reason when I made a bowling pin all my textures messed up. So I guess it was Eevee’s way of telling me to stop.

5 Likes

Awwwww Poor poor elephant. I almost went to college at Ringling, but not the circus Ringling though.

https://www.ringling.edu/

1 Like

Concept sketch of cirque du soleil style cat person. Grease pencil.

#ignore

3 Likes

WIP Post
Circus Animal Cookies

First test cookies coming out of the digital oven :slight_smile:
Physics test - sprinkle distribution.

1 Like

Awesome additions. Love it.
Yeah I am still holding off on EEVEE till the RC. I figure there will be plenty of users out there that I can get info from as there has been quite a few changes and I am just getting to the point where my brain actually works without thinking using shortcut keys in 2.79. I have opened eevee and rendered out some stuff but other than that I feel like I almost opened a different 3d software trying to navigate around.

CARTOON style Circus

6 Likes

Elephant Track

Going to give this a shot this week. I really like the topic, nice pick! I decided to go with a night time theme, focusing on smaller details instead of the circus as a whole, since this is my first entry into a weekend challenge. Great way to spend a Saturday! Pure entry.

Ok, coming back a day later to update the image. I was really bothered by a few glaring problems with my render and couldn’t let it go, such as how the texture wasn’t coming all the way down to the water and how the reflection of the Ferris wheel just wasn’t bright enough. I didn’t know you could make an image into a light source!!! Found that purely by accident when trying to figure out how to brighten it up! Mind is blown a little. I had been shining a spot light on the image of the wheel in an effort to get it to reflect on the water and it was only partially working. This way is so much better!

And………. One more time, this is the last one, I promise! I didn’t like how the ground got washed out by the light, so fixed it to preserve the detail in it. This third image is my submission. Pure entry.

6 Likes

“Come in we’re OPEN!”

pure (non competing), cycles (256 samples + denoising)

11 Likes

Circus Above Cumulus

Pure entry. Cycles 256 samples, procedural textures, compositor.

Please pardon the lazy marshmallow clouds and the giant inverted chocolate pudding. :upside_down_face:

Some earlier ideas are Manfred von Richthofen’s flying circus of WW I (but I don’t favor biplane/triplane too much) and circus tent on a ship/boat (but then the airship/dirigible idea popped up and here we are). Was struggling with what should be under the tent, also don’t want to do much volumetrics for the clouds, and so the choco pudding (lifted ground/soil) and marshmallow clouds were born. Not too proud of it, btw.

5 Likes

It’s kinda quiet here compared to last challenge. Guess everyone is Halloweening this weekend.

Popcorn Stand

Circus-themed popcorn stand rendered on eevee.

2 Likes

You are probably right…
However, we have cookies (@david.speer) and popcorn (@Clavinerise). That will surely attract a few additional participants. :slight_smile:

Indeed! I haven’t seen the circus peanuts yet.
Expected to.
My cookies are almost done baking. I should have my finished entry in later tonight!

I’ve never procrastinated an entry so much as this time. It’s hard to think on something that doesn’t require several weeks of modelling and messing around with the cloth simulator. But I’m certain I’ll figure something out :slight_smile:

Or the fleas might scare them away. Then again their death defying stunts might attract attention or an exterminator. LOL

You could do a robot circus. Mechanical elephants and lions jumping through hoops while crazy bus driver watches while eating the apple.

Pureclay has the peanuts.

Oh wow, yep! I saw that pic in bright light on mobile earlier. There they are. Sooo… all we are missing is the bearded lady or the strong man!

1 Like