Challenge #805 (23/11/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #805 for Friday 23th of November 2018 is:

Anime & Manga

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Nov 26, 2018 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

So same thing as last week, but with katanas and college girls with big boobs now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good one :joy:

Trying a shaded effect in post - separated out diffuse colour to flatten it, the glossy direct and indirect for some highlights, and a shadow pass.

The only anime I’ve really watched (aside from Animatrix if that counts) is Superbook way back when - not much of that stuff in it from what I remember @Millani :slight_smile:

Aha, found my source of inspiration for this week.

Don’t ask how I found this.

Might not compete this week I know nothing about anime or manga :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re looking for popular sword wielder characters, no.4,5,7,9 on this list are recommended. Cheers. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dang it!

I have a mile long honey do list, several woodworking projects to complete, have a bunch of yard work, have to cut down a dying tree, clean my shop…my wife is going to be upset nothing gets done this weekend. :slight_smile:

I am picking Bleach Hollowfied Ichigo.

Huge anime fan. Awesome choice. Might have to go past my personal time limit and spend a little bit more time on it.

1 Like

Quite the interesting theme. But far from simple… Let’s see !

Gonna be tough trying to make a good looking NPR shader.

I’ll give some ideas if character modeling scares you away (it does to me :stuck_out_tongue: )
You can do mascots like happy from Fairy Tail, Hawk fom Nanatsu no Taizai, Mokona from Magic Knight Rayearth, Kyubey from Madoka, etc.
Also there is a lot of mechas to choose, from Mazinger to Gundam

Bleach - Ichigo Fan Art

Non-Competing

Cycles, 3000 samples, filmic, MBlab add-on, hair with curves (tutorial by pancake_manicure), cloth weaver for overcoat, hdri lighting, 3 point light plus emphasis lights, post processed with Paintshop Pro, all new elements

Completely threw out my timer on this one. I use these challenges as speed modeling practice and force myself to stay under 6 hours for modeling. Probably like 10 hours straight modeling all the elements. It has helped immensely. I may not be better but I am faster. It also helped my insomnia kicked in last night. About a 3 hour render, which is exactly how much sleep I got this morning after the sun rose.

Not super happy with the pose I chose but I am not going back and try to redo all of it. Fitting the clothes to the model always takes forever. I still have not perfected getting clothes to work well with the armature and body collision. At some point I have to work on that some more.

P.S. Okay. It was driving me nuts. Fixed the arm so its a little lower and I think that went a long ways to fixing the weird pose. Changed the material on the lettering as well.

Updated Image

Applied same post processing filters to an old model I built a while ago. Surprised me to learn there is a Metal Gear anime.

6 Likes

Oh man, great theme. Not sure if I’ll have time to do anything this weekend myself.

As someone else said, mechs are also a good option. I wonder if some sort of cityscape would be doable quickly. Like neo-Tokyo or something like that.

1 Like

Katana

Pure entry, eevee, 1000 samples.
Was fun, a few things seem to not be fully functional, one of them being the particle system. Looks quick and dirty, but then manga is supposed to be just that :wink:

WIP : Miss All Sunday

805-wip1

1 Like

“Manganese nodule”

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

5 Likes

this looks like a theam i can try
ill try my luck !!!

this is my entrie
pure intrenel
anime girl

i thought of making one of my fav anime girl, but i found that i actually dont have one, so i just made this

3 Likes

Last Glyph Reader from Ohara

Pure entry. Nico Robin & poneglyph fanart (One Piece), rendered with Cycles using toon shaders, all works done in Blender.

My efforts :

• trying to make a bust, completed the face part but didn’t turn out well : cancelled
  • thinking about using texture or simple shapes for facial features (like I did on WC #800), or using MBL and concentrate on outfit etc. : already decided then not to pursue detailed face due to time constraint
  • resorted to full body but the view is from behind (like usual…), was about to use silhouette but thinking of putting some more efforts since this is one character that I like

Btw, making the glyphs was both tedious and fun (kinda). Ended up spending more time on it rather than modelling the character. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

How did you get the Japanese font to work?

I’m on a Windows 7 machine and I can’t get Japanese to work in Blender. It works fine to copy and paste into a notepad file, but nothing with Blender.