Challenge #808 (14/12/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #808 for Friday 14th of December 2018 is:

Setting Sail

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Dec 17, 2018 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s going on with the top row, why isn’t the previous winner up there?

A recent update seems to have broken the editability of posts containing polls…:

If it isn’t fixed by this week, @Helge could make a dummy post first and then post the poll. Supposing this is not a hassle with the script, of course.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like an unfixable problem (well, you never know) but if the issue persists this seems to be a clever solution.

Saturday Mornings:

Open (Base mesh from TS, resculpted, rigged and posed) Cycles 1500, CC in PS.
Sick of messing around with the fur. Takes too long to render and see what it looks like just to re do it. This is all I had patients for.

WIP - Sugar Glider on the edge of the couch ready to set sail.

WIP#2

Not happy at all with the particle hair system in 2.8 (still very buggy) Lots of crashing and random mesh glitching if I add fur to the entire body. I am struggling with just the tail (using 1st day beta build).

Might download a newer build, maybe some of this is fixed.

11 Likes

Open entry

my idea behind this is the twigs are the boat and the leaf is the sail

12 Likes

Title: Sails in Space
Pure Blender (Eevee)

Once I thought about a space-SHIP, it all went very easy. Another reason it was easy it’s because Eevee barely needs rendertime (5 seconds?), so I don’t have to check all the time back an forth the render and shaders/lighting. I just purchased an addon called Plating generator and greebles. Used also bevel after Boolean, an HDRI with stars, but quite some compositing nodes. Did it in two hours I believe.

8 Likes

That looks incredible! Great job, and in just two hours!? Awesome. :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, we heard that one already from this website :slight_smile:

1 Like

Super entries so far! This is already shaping up to be hard to vote on.

Mine is going to take all week to do I’m running around in 2.8 trying to figure where every thin is its a purity big scene with lots of stuff being modeled and it looks good so far
2.8 been crashing like crazy for me, rendering while working at the same time so I can see what’s going on in the scene :grimacing: :dizzy_face: :open_mouth: :fearful:

@anon72338821 My idea was going to be set in space - although I’m going for a different kind of solar sail, it should look quite different to yours if I can get it done.

I’m staying with Blender 2.8 as it is where things are going, it’s enough of a challenge at the moment. @Midnightcpu I’m having the opposite problem, I can real-time render without any crashing.

One noticeable thing missing at the moment (aside from I all the shortcuts have changed and I don’t know where anything is) is that I can’t see a flat plane from the side. In the old Blender it shows it as a straight line.

I keep the cycles render going when I’m looking at my scene it might be where I’m using a laptop🤔
It only does it when I’m rendering and working on my nodes in cycles and when my computer goes into screen saver mode it stops rendering and when I get out of screen saver mode the render is frozen and I have to go back to rendering again

Finally a topic that suits me very much, I’ll get right to it this weekend :slight_smile:

I know what you mean, the old Blender did that with me - I use a laptop too. Will have to keep testing out 2.8 more. Also, you still have screen savers? Or is that just a power saving mode? I remember Windows used to have screensavers.

Into the west
pure
cycles 1024 samples

I decided to recreate the ending scene of the lord of the rings, where the last ship of the elves sets sail to the undying lands in the west.

12 Likes

:open_mouth: that was my first thought too, setting sails to Valinor

1 Like

Party in Paradise

Non-competing

Cycles, 2000 samples, filmic, cloth physics, Graswald ($), MBLabs, reused wine bottle and glass from my library of models I’ve done in the past, otherwise all new models. External filters for border and contrast.

Took about 5 hours to model in 2.79 and 3 hours to render in 2.8. Inspired by old fashioned holiday posts cards.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easier since right now they can’t post the winner from a voting thread to just use the entry page entry of the winner since there is no voting there?