• jonramos
  • Maelys031
  • joshwinkler3d
  • Nitram_2000
  • Millani
  • purbosky
  • derosaron1

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20190214-wc

Pure Entries

didierv: Make Love Not War

fcharr: The End

atekdigital: fish out of water

kaidoe: Road Closed

Agila_Shammer: The Step off

jonramos: The Last Messenger

Maelys031: The four horsemen

joshwinkler3d: Get YOUR Apocolypse, Now!*

Nitram_2000: Apokalypse NOW!

Millani: You Can’t Kill a Dead Man

Open Entries

purbosky: Chants, Circles, Chaos

(Sorceress character base created with MakeHuman, castle wall texture from TextureHaven.com, all other textures are procedural. Cycles 256 samples + denoising, all works done in Blender.)

derosaron1: Zombie Apocalypse…Now

(It’s an open entry, zombies
were made in MakeHuman. Posed in Blender. Render in Blender Render.)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Choosers of the Dead

3dnotguru: Kurtz

FlyingBanana: Global Apocalypse

Helge: 3…2…1… Smoothie Time!

RobertT: BEWARE THE FALSE PROPHET: THE END IS NOT NEAR

1 Like

Looks like @atekdigital is getting plenty of votes, good looking entry (is that a photo of a fish?) - I didn’t vote for this one, however, as I don’t see the relation to the theme. Could someone explain?

Personal apocalypse. Fish out of water. The end days for the poor fishy. At least how I interpreted it. :wink:

Our fish occasionally clears the water hitting the glass top of the tank - if that’s it then that’s probably why I didn’t make the connection. Maybe if it was more of to the side it would help?

lol. Mine were normally just floaters. I guess I was the apocalypse for them. I think I would over feed them.

It was only my interpretation so everything is still on the table on what is the “true” meaning of the story behind the image. It would have been clearer if the fish had already cleared the edge of the bowl though but what would be the fun in that. We wouldn’t be talking about it. :smiley:

1 Like

look what I found!

2 Likes

Nice find :slight_smile:
I actually never watched/listened to a live version. It works astonishingly well.

1 Like

also, a doomy song, but sad :wink:

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 816 with votes from 62.5% of the voters is… Maelys031!
Here’s to all the great participators…

The four horsemen

4 Likes

Congrats @Maelys031 awesome entry and render!

1 Like

@Maelys031, congrats on the win and very cool render!

1 Like

Thanks! It was a great theme.

I humbly write this review like icyou520 use to do. (I really like to read those, so I figured I could do something for you guys to!)

didierv : Make Love Not War
This one made me laught. The title is perfect.

fcharr : The End
I really like the way the sun is reflected in the water.

atejdugutak : fish out of water
The realism of the glass is fantastic. I also like the motion of the water around the fish. The fish mystifies me. It seams to emit light, did you render it separatly?

kaidoe : Road Closed
Great job on the realism. Simple and effective.

Agila_Shammer : The Step off
This is what happened in my head when I saw your image :
the plant : “oh no, I will die!”
the boot : "“mouaha, I will eat you!”
The volumetric lighting and the camera view are great.

jonramos : The Last Messenger
I don’t want to live in this place. Great job, I like the style.

Maelys031 : The four horsemen
Is this the same horse and the same man in different pose? What a lazy shortcut :wink:

joshwinkler3d : Get YOUR Apocolypse, Now!
I like the way you where carefull to put a wire between the lamps so they could have electricity. I alway find it difficult to do large scene like this with a lot of objects, great job.

Nitram_2000 : Apokalypse NOW!
Those flying heads give me goosebumps. I wander, are those small “m” flying :slight_smile: ? Great job.

Millani : You Can’t Kill a Dead Man
I like the fact that there is a lot a switches! I want to try them… Good job with the texture of the desk and the launching panel.

purbosky : Chants, Circles, Chaos
The colors! I really like it! Great idea.

derasaron1 :Zombie Apocalypse …Now
Zombies! They are creepy. Good job with the cloths!

OLG : Choosers of the Dead
Great poster for the film. I didn’t know there was a film named Apocalypse Now. When I googled it, I found the style of your poster really accurate.

3dnotfuru : Kurtz
What is he thinking? I wonder Great job with the lighting and the pose.

FlyingBanana : Global Apocalypse
Hello Earth, how are… HO MY GOD! It explodes! Very funny animation!

Helge : 3…2…1… Smoothie Time!
This is the end of this planet as we know it. Let’s drink to that. I admire your work. It is always a pleasure to see what you made.

RobertT : BEWARE THE FALSE PROPHET : THE END IS NOT NEAR
I honestly don’t know how you do it. Each week, I look at your image and I try to figure out how you did it and almost every time I am not able to find the way. I really like the color scheme.

Good job everyone! Thanks for your vote and see you next week.

6 Likes

You’re a poet and I didn’t know it. :wink: LOL yeah I didn’t have time to sculpt and create all the hair particles that would have been my entry of two alpaca’s staring at the camera and a ranch sign behind them reading. “Alpaca Lips Now Ranch”

1 Like

Congrats to @Maelys031, and thanks too for the comments! :grinning:

I remember having a simple llama model (llama is still closely related with alpaca btw), so here’s a quick render (textures from TextureHaven.com, please mind the tongue sticking…) :

3 Likes

Thanks @Maelys031 for the feedback - did what I could for a days work. The wire is a bunch of curves and almost invisible pieces that attach the wire to the wall using objects following the curves.

For a quick scene like this just basic shapes to block it out and fill it up, then details and textures as time permits.

1 Like

Ha, yeah, floating heads indeed. I was trying to copy the movie poster. The M’s are McDonalds M’s if you didn’t notice. I roughly placed them where the helicopters are on the poster.

1 Like

Ahah, that’s what I tought!

Congrats @Maelys031 great job, looks fantastic.

1 Like

Thanks Maelys031! This time, my wife provided the idea. I was just moving the pixels around. :wink:

(And thanks for taking the time to write all the mini reviews. :-))

1 Like

@OLG (from the image entry thread): Thank you for the very kind words! I’m glad I managed to get very close to the ambitious picture I had imagined for this project, and I’m grateful you liked the outcome!

@Maelys031: Thanks so much! I tend to revise my projects continuously until they meet up with (or come acceptably close to) what I have in mind, and this usually means anything except a standard, linear progress. And then my approaches usually get complicated and unique to each project very quickly. Working within the weekend constraints also compels me to improvise and come up with various methods to push a project toward where it needs to be.

Amazing work, everyone!

RobertT

3 Likes