Challenge #824 (05/04/19) Entries CLOSED

(Helge) #1

Theme #824 for Friday 5th of April 2019 is:

Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Apr 8, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm offering my character sculpturing skills
(FlyingBanana) #2

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

(beau11) #3

I wish I could get back into these, however after updating to Mojave, it turns out NVIDIA Drivers aren’t supported yet so I can’t use Blender until they decide to start working together. I’ve been working on my drawing and anatomy but I truly miss these weekend challenges and I can’t get wait to get back into Blender.

0 Likes

Interesting theme this week. It is quite a specific thing as well.

I have been doing some research to find something meaningful for this challenge. Maybe I will try to get something done.

What I found was that, Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant is a phrase that was used during a mock sea battle (AD 52) on Lake Fucinus. Captives and criminals were fighting on the lake that was about to be drained as a celebration. They are the ones who apparently said it.

1 Like

(Midnightcpu) #5

OK I think I get it now its about the gladiators of roam and the Colosseum saluting the dead or those who will die
And sea battle mock ups by flooding the Colosseum
I might be able to make something :grin:

1 Like

(joshwinkler3d) #6

My initial thought was to make a Trireme, glad to see that it seems to thematically fits.

1 Like

Nice theme, I have a great idea! Lets see if I will be able to make it real :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

0 Likes

(Francisco Charrua) #9

I think I’ll stretch this one for all it’s worth.

2 Likes

(GIPeN) #10

I just finished watching Spartacus :open_mouth:

3 Likes

(FlyingBanana) #11

No problem, figured there would be others like me that seen the theme and went vanta black blank. So saved some others from possibly getting sucked into the black hole as I did.

1 Like

(purbosky) #12

Don’t forget the voters. :smiley:

0 Likes

(Midnightcpu) #13

This is the hardest theme I’ve done I can’t light my scene right it’s horrible :see_no_evil::dizzy_face:
I’m trying to light a coliseum and there are only three was to light it and I can get the shadows I want because it’s got almost full on sun light on it :see_no_evil::sunglasses::no_mouth::hushed::pensive::relieved::confused::grimacing:.

Oh well I’ll enter what ever it looks like :grin:

1 Like

(Photox) #14

I’m learning to work in 2.8 it’s an absolute shit show. Two dyntopo sculpts, in pose, I don’t know if I will texture, I may just render clay.
#ignore

8 Likes

(onnevan) #15

Is this the entries thread? duh…

0 Likes

(Photox) #16

yes it is. alot of times early on friday/sat people post their WIPs. But just include a title, and upload your image to enter.

0 Likes

(Midnightcpu) #17

You should have saw me when I first started using 2.8b I was trying to find all the tools and everything but the end result was good I ran into a few bugs along the way like multi weight painting on one object doesn’t work, you can’t use loop tool s when you have modifiers on and a few other things but I like it, still have to use 2.79 for the stuff i can’t do in 2.8 right now

1 Like

(Midnightcpu) #18

ok think I got the lighting problem figured out with the full on sun light just got done watching a tut by Andrew price on lighting might be able to get the detail I was looking for with the shadows :grinning: ill see what I can do and see if it works

0 Likes

(Nitram_2000) #19

Weren’t Triremes a Greek design? Or did the Romans copy them?

Alas, I too am on holidays so I won’t enter. Unless I get something done in about 2 hours on Monday evening when I get home. I already kind of have an idea that would work.

0 Likes

(Aristotelis) #20

@joshwinkler3d You are right Nitram_2000 triremes are indeed a Greek design and they were also used earlier than the time of the Roman empire (I am Greek so I know some bits and pieces about them :innocent: ), but they seem to have been used by the Romans also (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme)

0 Likes