Challenge #834 (14/06/19) Entries CLOSED

“An adventurous frog”
Pure (Cycle)

Lack of time to finalize the small trolley on the right and the frog is come from another personnal project.

11 Likes

Summer Flight

Open entry. Aircraft model is new, decals made with Inkscape, nose art edited from a past contest entry, background from UnSplash.com, lighting with HDRI from HDRIhaven.com.

Blender 2.8, Cycles 256 samples + denoising + compositing.

logo2

8 Likes

Nope, although I can see why you’d think so! I read a couple of articles on it a while back, maybe a year ago. I thought it a good idea to work with, but didn’t feel up to it then. This prompt came up and I gave it a shot.

Sarr, the Solitary Sailor

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender using only procedural textures.

Sarr grew up in a poorly structured family. His father only cared about heavy metal music, so it was up to Sarr’s older brother to took care of him. Sadly, when he reached beta stage (that’s equivalent to a human teenager, but without being so hysterical), his brother started to become crazy and develop an unhealthy interest in cars, buses and high-speed danger in general.

Sarr then decided to set sail to some distant land, in the hope of finding a nice she-bot so he can get his first release and finally leave beta stage.

8 Likes

I like this style, but not the composition. Any chance you could play with it a little? Lower the camera and also not cut out the top of the luggage?

1 Like

Yeah I was planning on doing more possibly tonight . was going to add possibly a tree and some dirt on the wheel wells/fenders along with a dirt streak on the windshield, also add to the luggage to get them to stand out more.

1 Like

Holiday in Italy

i have to call this entry open because i reused the colloseM model from another entry.
Wanted to do some lowpoly style picture, this is kind of … used some displacement and then decimated it down until i liked it.
modeling and compositing done in blender, render with cycles, only 231 samples.
Have fun

10 Likes

Is that CBD-01…? :smiley:

Unbeatable as usual.

Rush Hour - Traffic jam in Blender City

Pure Entry

My first entry ever. Wanted to participate in the weekend challenge for a while but didnt have the time. This weekend I felt like I had enough time to put my idea into a render and this was the result

Made in Blender Cycles 2.8. Used sappling addon for the trees, everything else was done procedurally. Had to decrease the resolution to 720p to keep the image below 250kB. Unfortunately I dont have more time to work on this project before the deadline so this is the end result

9 Likes

You don’t really have to worry about the file size contraints. The rules are really old and are due for an update. I think most people here end up going over the limit anyway, so there isn’t any penalty.
But even with the lowered resolution, your render still looks fantastic. The scene is full of life, especially with all the lights.

Edit: also the rules were made so many years ago, when the file size actually mattered (and maybe 1080p wasn’t the norm, though I wasn’t here back then). Nowadays, 250kb is tiny

I think, it was a software bug in the travel agencies booking system, which sent him into a desert - instead of a nice, damp cellar.

I wouldn’t go so far, but thanks! :wink:
The 2.8 transition is still slowing me down. This will probably take a little longer.

Don’t worry about the size limit. It has already been ignored for ages. :wink:
Welcome to the show. Wonderful entry!

Who isn’t? :wink: Welcome back!

Nice entry! And don’t worry, you have come to the right place. This challenge is for fun. And at the same time, almost everybody is learning something new along the way every weekend. (E.g. that the boolean modifier’s carve solver didn’t make it into 2.8… :wink: )

2 Likes

@Nitram_2000 I made changes to my scene. The camera angle is better, thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ended up with too much else to do, been busy the last couple weeks. Wont finish it today, but ill see if i can get it done on Wednesday

1 Like

Here’s my entry !! I wanted to make something cartoony yet realistic :smile:

8 Likes

I’ve updated my entry. I made some small changes to the image, but, most importantly, there is a back story now.

I suppose long-time WEC participants may recognize the other members of the family. :wink:

1 Like

Hey! My first time posting in the forum although I’ve been lurking around for some time. I saw this challenge earlier this evening and decided to put together a quick entry inspired by a photo I saw on Pinterest.

All models created today, except for the rocks - they were created yesterday. Vegetation using Graswald add-on. Some color correction in Photoshop, where I also added the birds as I thought the top left corner was a bit empty :slight_smile:

12 Likes

wow, this week the entries are all over the place :wink:

1 Like

Guess one could say they traveled vast distances. :wink:

2 Likes

Bobby The Bobber (Pure)

Ah guess I was a bit too late…

Anyway, I only used curves in the creation of the motorcycle. So absolutely no meshes used at all. The file size for the entire scene was under 2 megs. :smiley_cat:

(Rendered in Eevee)

Blend file:

(it uses an HDR file, but it’s the forest one that comes with Blender.)

9 Likes