Challenge #844 (23/08/19) Entries CLOSED

Midnightcpu, I’m not at all sure if this can help you now, but perhaps it’s worth some consideration if all other options have been exhausted:

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

I hope you can work that out and retrieve your files!

RobertT

Thanks alot I’m trying it now. :+1:

I was really mad at myself for deleting my blender files but I started thinking about it.
wouldn’t be so bad starting over, really with all the work I’ve done I could have made newer stuff trying to recreate my work again. :grin:

If I get all my files back I’m putting them on a hard drive with the older files I saved. :grin:

Don’t forget sites like dropbox, which are really great for uploading important stuff and sleeping better.

Lol, ya but I think my external hard drive will work a little better will always have the backups. :grin:

Have a 500gig and a 4tb the 4tb was destroyed by my aunt and dads dogs, one chewed the cords and the other kept pulling it off the desk.

If you are lucky, this may be a good thing. Maybe it is ‘only’ the external drives electronic (power connector, controller, usb connectors circuits) that were damaged by the fall. The HDD could still be intact. In that case you could try to connect it to a computer directly and see if you can make it work.

So wait, you accidentally deleted your files, AND your dog ate your hard drive. You might want to give off-site backup a serious thought.

Ok, I guess I arrived a bit late for the party. Firing up Blender right now, let’s see if I can still make it.

And call the ghostbusters, something weird is going on around you.

1 Like

Lol, it sounds funny the way you said it, sounds like the dogs ate my homework. :joy::rofl:

Don’t have either dog anymore one was gave away a long time ago and the other had cancer passed about a month ago was like 20 years old it was the family dog she was blind that’s how she kept pulling the hard drive down

But the 4tb was damaged like 8 years ago that’s how long I had it and the 500gig is like 11 years old and still going.

I thought about that, my computer doesn’t read the USB cable on the 4tb been meaning to take it apart but never got around to it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ooookkkkk, got all my files back now they are going external backup.

Thanks everyone. :grin:

2 Likes

Pioneers of the Past

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

My inspiration for this was a short story from Arkadi and Boris Strugatzki. A group of astronauts embarked on a journey to very distant systems. Their goal was not only to obtain information on undiscovered planets, but also to test the viability of long-distance space travel. The whole journey would last 17 years…

…from the astronauts perspective. Due to the ludicrous speed in which they would travel, time for them would go slower than on Earth. For someone staying on Earth, the astronauts would only come back 200 years later, long after everyone they knew were long dead. Hence, when they arrive back to Earth, they would be pioneers of space travel, coming from a distant past.

7 Likes

This week we have awsome enters :four_leaf_clover:

Freedom’s Vanguard
Pure - blender 2.8 cycles 100 samples
textures from textureheaven.com
only thing reused was the basemesh for the soldiers (but the uniforms/outfits are new)
a bit of a last minute post, and the hair grooming i was doing bugged on the final render ( something to do with the clump/noise settings)
let me know if i did something wrong, I’m a bit of a noob here - 1st week-
also, i didn’t wanted to get too political with this, so just replace the blank red flags with any authoritarian regime’s one. i had the idea of doing this the empire/first order related, but my building style ended up too earth-like…

3 Likes

crap I have a great idea for this but idk if I can pull it off in time

The First Move

Pure

7 Likes

and then they come back and a megavirus wiped out all of humanity
weebly wooobly timey wimey stuff

1 Like

Welcome on board! Don’t worry, the thumbnail will be generated automatically.
Great entry btw! I’m seeing a lot of votes flying this way. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Glad you like it. And you are right: each theme is open to interpretation. It is always great to have a wide variety of takes on a theme.

I really like the the green glowie streak things on the edges, makes it feel like its moving. Do you mind sharing how you achieved this?

Sure, add long simple plane mesh that goes along the main mesh (using curve modifier).
Unwrap and stretch UV cordinates of that simple plane along one axis.
Apply a texture with few white dots to the material and add emission to it.
Rest of the texture should be transparent.
And voila! Stretched dots makes the illusion of light streaks.

This is how it looks in editor:
Screenshot_1

1 Like

Very Clever, Thanks!!!