Challenge #868 "wrinkles" (07/02/20) Entries CLOSED

As I said, I don’t have time to sculpt (plus my sculpting sucks!) so I just wanted to have a wrinkly ground.

I was thinking of an old mans forehead too.

1 Like

Same! I was also thinking of wrinkles on a person. Although I suppose I’ll end up having cloth anyway if I decide to participate this weekend.

Fantastic render, you did that fast!

@Photox Yeah, that’s kind of true. People did used to mostly sculpt cloth, although ever since Marvelous Designer became a thing, it seems like less people are doing it the old fashioned way anyway. I remember watching a video, I think by Flipped Normals, where they said “Learn Marvelous Designer. Yes, it’s good you can sculpt folds traditionally, but a new artist who’s just graduated will boot up Marvelous Designer and make folds that put yours to shame in 1/8th the time”, and that was when I started looking into Blender’s cloth simulations for doing most of the work. Really this new brush just makes the same concept less tedious for us Blender users!

Also as someone who used to single boot Mint and now dual boots Windows 10 and Mint, I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Thanks. The idea pretty much came to me fully formed, so there wasn’t much too it. I’ve played with the micro displacement a lot in the last while, so I’ve a pretty decent idea how to set it up quickly. It was just playing with the noise/wave settings a bit. Then it was getting the composition right. Even now, I think I could make some changes, but, meh, I’ll leave it as it is. Just nice to get some personal art done for the first time in ages.

1 Like

Yeah, I know how that is! My last entry didn’t come out how I wanted it to, so I didn’t bother submitting for last week. It can be pretty frustrating not getting anything done on the side.

Got a quick start here! Guess we’ll see if I finish it in time this weekend!

Pure, Eevee, procedural textures

Gul’dan

6 Likes

Time to go a completely different direction. Not skin, not cloth, but lava! I’m going to attempt to make some pāhoehoe lava. That will be a good challenge for me.

1 Like
1 Like

1983 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was born in 83 LOL. :grin:

Ha! I could be your grandfather… in a strange biotech world. Born in 1982. :slight_smile:

Lol, ya you could say that, because your older than me. :grin:
No offense.

None taken! :slight_smile:

Perhaps a ghost this weekend…

16 Likes

Beautiful work! I love how you added the extra stripes to the sheet, and the blue tone to the entire scene is very nice!

Thx Justin, I desided to invert the texture (for now). :slight_smile:

1 Like

“A wrinkle on (space) time”
open - cycles
reused a old human basemesh I had. everything else was done by me.

context: wrinkes make everything on the universe. Sace-time is full of them, and so are quantum fields. our brain is made of wrinkles and swirls. if you can be one with the wrinkles, you can be one with everything.
It didn’t end up exactly as I wanted, but it sure was fun.
here are some screenshots:

12 Likes

Man, these entries are incredible so far! I have to admit I kinda thought this theme was going to be a little boring, but you guys are knocking it outta the park!

By the way, I loved your Sun Wu Kong entry for “Mythology”, ShadowStorm!

1 Like

thanks! these challenges are great to just go nuts on the concept and try to use everything you have. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s exactly why I love them. It’s a great way to improve your skills and try and be creative. Even if you learn one new thing then it’s worthwhile.

4 Likes

:o , dude thats epic. U got some skills on ya!

1 Like

I really love, how everyones brains automatically think of something else.

input ----> Randomize function ----> ouput

:smiley:

4 Likes