Challenge #868 "wrinkles" (07/02/20) Entries CLOSED

Thank you, I really appreciate it! Hopefully I can do the background some justice before the deadline too!

Pāhoehoe Lava Flow
Pure, competing

Blender 2.81 Cycles + Compositor
256 samples

Well, that was interesting. I learnt how to use adaptive subsurface and get geometry from displacement maps. I have never really used it until now.
The lava is a mix of many noise and image textures, all in one chaotic mess of nodes.

20 Likes

Dude, I love this. I’m fascinated by lava, and there’s a possibility that I’ll have to do some lava for a paid project next year. I’ll be doing plenty of experimenting in the coming months with this. How long was the render time on this?

I’ll be using this as a starting point for me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LucaRood/status/1190308052735594496

Also, adoptive subdivision and the displacement in Cycles is friggin amazing, and tons of fun.

3 Likes

The render time is surprisingly fast. I did this one in about 3 minutes at 256 samples.

A while back, in prevoius versions of Blender, I had a lot of issue with adaptive subdivisions being extremely slow, and also getting many errors from high resolution meshes. This is why I never really used it for scenes. I had only attempted it 3 times before, not making anything from it though.
I then tried it again now, in Blender 2.81 and it surprisingly worked much better and so much faster. I don’t know if it was affected by other factors, but I am glad it works now for me.

2 Likes

PURE wrinkles

6 Likes

It kind of reminds me of the movie batteries not included when the robot is floating with the sheet over it. :grin:

2 Likes

Lazy Morning

Pure entry, 1000 samples

4 Likes

“The Wrinkling”

non competing (pure), cycles (512 samples)

The Wrinkling is a mythical (sandman like) creature I recently discovered who visits every one of us every night. Over the years he rakes wrinkles into the skin of his unfortunate victims. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’m going to have nightmares. something on that image is completely terrifying. maybe it’s the bird-like shape of his skull?

2 Likes

Oh man, the spikes on the rake. And the SSS on the folds, ahhhhhhhh!

1 Like

Mr.Wrinklez
Pure, rendered with EEVEE 128 samples

10 Likes

Thats all the time I had this weekend,
This was very fun guys! Im really bad at sculpting so Im happy whenever I get a chance to challenge myself.

See you guys tomorrow.

“Wrinkles”

Non-competing. Cycles/PS

10 Likes

Wisdom

Non-competing

Cycles, 5000 samples, filmic, hair particles, post processed canvas texture with PaintShop Pro

With age comes a modicum of wisdom, if for nothing else you are still alive at an advanced age. And with age comes wrinkles plus aches and pains and knowledge of when rain is coming. A glorious age. lol.

A quick and fun practice session on face sculpting. Getting faster. About 3 hours.

8 Likes

Wrinkles - The Pitt Bull Sharpei - Hah!
Non competing.

Was a fun attempt to try to learn how to sculpt, great choice for the weekend challenge!
My hacky sharpei turned out looking more like a pitt bull.

8 Likes

“Hehe”
Wrinkles - This is all I can say about my project…

You truly don’t want to know what this is.

3 Likes

Ok, who let the dogs out!? .:grin::eyes:

1 Like

Weekend Plans Run Into a Slight Wrinkle
Pure

I went conceptual here, but added the drop cloth for some literal wrinkles. Everything is new except for the character, who is recent :slight_smile:.

I actually rendered three scenes for this - the main one plus one for the fertilizer bag (grass and sky) and one for the paint can (a garage). Probably put too much time into the paint can considering its size in the final image.

5 Likes

Totally getting great grandma kisses flashbacks as a kid here. ROFL nice one.

5 Likes

Pure - eevee - blender 2.81

3 Likes